Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm

I've been sending out applications to mall stores and places like that for the past few months, but unfortunately have not heard back for a single one :(.

A neighbor of mine asked me to watch their dog while they were away last week though, so now I'm thinking maybe I should start doing dog walking around my neighborhood instead of (hopelessly) job searching.

I'm not sure how I would advertise it though, since I basically don't know anybody in my neighborhood very well, and would feel extremely uncomfortable walking up to doors and stuff...not to mention I've been told I come off as creepy. Suggestions?

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

I think it's a really good idea. Very few people really love taking their dog(s) out, and no one wants to come home from work at lunchtime to do it.

In order to make that work out, you're probably going to have to broaden your horizons -- like to outside of your own neighborhood. But, that's good. How about an ad that you put up on those bulletin boards near the doors of pet stores, grocery stores, etc.? Cut little name/number tear-off slips at the bottom and wait for people to call. (I'm probably not describing that too well. If you don't know what I mean, let me know.)

Good luck!

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2011, 6:48 pm

Thank you

Well, I do want to keep it to my neighborhood. I'm currently a full time student so I'm not looking to let this be too time consuming (probably why I never got hired).

I like the idea of the name/number slips too but apparently my neighborhood has restrictions against advertising like that :? .

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 7:04 pm

kepheru wrote:
Well, I do want to keep it to my neighborhood. I'm currently a full time student so I'm not looking to let this be too time consuming (probably why I never got hired).

Ah, OK. I thought you were going to try to build a full-time business. Not a bad job for someone with AS, actually. We're generally pretty responsible and have good relationships with animals! Just don't get lost while you're on a walk ... LOL! (Just kidding -- that's my problem, not necessarily yours.)

kepheru wrote:
I like the idea of the name/number slips too but apparently my neighborhood has restrictions against advertising like that :? .

OK, a flyer in mailboxes? Try to avoid slipping something in neighbors' screen doors or things of that nature. They tend not to like it...

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:20 pm

What about craigslist?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:44 pm

jamesongerbil wrote:
What about craigslist?

That's how I got my freelance piano teaching gigs. It was really effective, and at one point I had too many students. It worked for piano, it'll work for dog walking.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 9:11 am

Craigslist is a good idea but if you're limited by something like not having a car the don't expect too much feedback and don't look through the ads that dog walking companies have posted b/c they all list the same criterion "must have reliable car, van, etc" at some line of the ad.

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2011, 6:39 pm

Thank you for your suggestions, but like LostInBed said not having a car was a big problem when it came to craigslist.

After several days of thinking about it, I managed to ask my neighbor who I had originally dog sat for if she knew of anyone who needed it. She said she was a part of some neighborhood listserv and would post my "flyer" on it, even said she would put a good recommendation :D .