Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 11:34 am

I've been a big fan of his movies lately, mostly because of the importance of imagination theme in some of them. My favorite movies are "Brazil", "The Fisher King", "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", "The Brothers Grimm", "The Imaginarium of Doctor Paranassus", and I also can't wait to see "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" if it ever gets completed.

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

I love his movies too.

I don't know if Don Quixote will ever get completed. It seems like each movie he made faced exponentially increasing problems with budgets and such.

I would love to see him direct a CGI movie. Hell, if David Lynch could direct a Disney movie, someone ought to be able to get Gilliam to direct a Pixar movie.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

"Brazil" is one of my all time favourite movies, but apart from "Twelve Monkeys", ( which I think tends to be seriously underestimated; there's more depth to it than meets the eye on a first viewing ), I have not actually liked the majority of his other movies. I keep waiting for him to reach those heights again.

I didn't like "The Brothers Grimm" very much, ( though I loved, as in was deliciously horrified by, the poor child whose mouth disappears after the enchanted mud gets to them! :lol :) ), found The Imaginarium painfully tedious, ( and I don't like Johnny Depp, which didn't help ), was a mixture of bored and repelled by Tideland, disliked the unending "whimsy" of Baron Munchausen, found "The Fisher King" rather bland, very forgettable in fact, and have never watched "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Hasn't he done something else recently which suffers from many of the same faults, amazing visuals, but a rambling plot with no shape? Even "Brazil" shows signs of this weakness, but manages to make that weakness part of the story, the anti-hero's ceaseless search for escape/"the solution", etc so it works.

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 2:38 pm

You may be thinking of Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas, which he also directed, but that was in 1998.

He makes flamboyantly weird movies in the same way Michael Bay makes extremely explosive movies and Uwe Boll makes horrible movies.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 11:12 pm

I like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It makes me laugh and I like the over-saturated color palette. Of course it certainly helps that my favorite actor is in it. :wink: