Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

Jono wrote:
ducky9924 wrote:
I distrust AS as well, but I am exceedingly pleased with how WP (the organization) is handling it.. They've provided us a forum to share information and debate. They aren't censoring anyone, but aren't supporting anyone either. They give us information, but don't indulge in propaganda tactics. Frankly I'm very pleased with them. I hope they stay this course.

That may be so. However, as for as for Autism Speaks sponsoring Autism Talk TV, Alex has admitted to that and you can see their puzzle piece logo at the end of every Autism Talk TV episode, naming them as underwriters. I will post my opinions about Autism Speaks on WP regardless of that though.

Crap you're right. -is very displeased-. I spent yesterday watching a bunch of those vids, but never bothered to stay for the credits. WTH WP?!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

Autism Speaks partially redeemed themselves by hiring John Elder Robison as a spokesperson. Prior to that, they didn't actually LET autistics speak but tried to speak for us, and that was the thing that got a lot of us really upset.

I don't know why I'm still so angry. I looked over their financial budget (online) and they do have lots of execs with 6 fig salaries and a very small percent of profit goes to helping autistics. Of that, much is going to genetic research, and that scares me because of potential for eugenics.

I guess it's the sensitivity I have to feeling exploited and others feeling exploited. I like what Alex has done in trying to see both sides of the situation and be fair and objective. I really respect him for that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Agreed, to a certain extent. No one is being censored here that I am aware of, and I found no evidence of direct sponsorship, but I will never trust Autism Speaks. And I also tend to lose trust in people who are too close to them.

Someday soon, perhaps, the division will end, but so far, they have not taken enough steps toward a pro-self-advocacy position for me support them. They are spending too much energy playing on the emotions of frustrated parents instead of spending it on improving the lives of the children. Of course, it's not the children who have the cash.

Wrong Planet have censored things upon the request of Autism Speaks at least once in the past. Google it.

Anyway, I'm boycotting Cafe Press.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
Agreed, to a certain extent. No one is being censored here that I am aware of, and I found no evidence of direct sponsorship, but I will never trust Autism Speaks. And I also tend to lose trust in people who are too close to them.

Someday soon, perhaps, the division will end, but so far, they have not taken enough steps toward a pro-self-advocacy position for me support them. They are spending too much energy playing on the emotions of frustrated parents instead of spending it on improving the lives of the children. Of course, it's not the children who have the cash.

Wrong Planet have censored things upon the request of Autism Speaks at least once in the past. Google it.

Anyway, I'm boycotting Cafe Press.

I agree.