Any aspies out there pursuing a career in medicine?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SYZendera
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm

Yes, I want to become active in pharmaceutical chemistry.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 9:24 pm

Severus wrote:
Why, I have a PhD in medical genetics.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm

Meow101 wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I'm definitely going out for med school. I'm a science nerd and I have the grades, I just have organic chemistry left. I'm all set to take the MCATS at the end of the 2012 school year. That is assuming the world didn't end :)

Good luck! It's not easy but it's possible. I'm still here :)

~Kate

I might PM you when it gets closer to interview time. Hope you don't mind.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 11:58 pm

SilverShoelaces wrote:
Callista wrote:
Biomedical engineering major. Senior now.

We learn a lot of medicine, but we focus on medical technology. We'll be designing processes and equipment having to do with medicine. I'll want a master's or a PhD when I graduate, though, rather than going straight to work.

That's what my little brother wants to do! Did you know what major you wanted to pursue when you started? Do you know if it's better than double majoring in premed and engineering (which is his current goal)? Is your school good/would you recommend another one, given complete freedom of choice?

Sorry. I got a bit excited there. My bro's still deciding where he wants to apply and I'm worried he'll just apply to mine, which doesn't have an engineering program, just because of the stellar academic support. He's really smart, but he's pretty scared of going away to college.... :?
I'd recommend finding a specific biomedical engineering program, but many biomedical engineers come at it through mechanical engineering or occasionally electrical or computer engineering.

No, I didn't know which major I wanted. I started out with math, switched to physics, and then finally to biomedical engineering.

If you want to be a biomedical engineer--yes, a dedicated BME program is definitely better than a double-major. But it's really the grad school that lets you focus in. If you get your undergrad in something related enough not to force you to retake a bunch of classes, you can get into a decent graduate program.

Regarding educational support vs. educational quality: If he doesn't have the support he needs, he won't be able to study even at the best university in the world. If he depends on that support to consistently learn and pass his classes, then it won't matter how good the school is if he can't get it there.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 10:43 am

I studied 2 years of medicine before my social/anxiety/communication problems forced me to quit. I liked most of the theory but the clinicals were a nightmare probably because of the authoritative way eveything is done in the hospitals/clinicals. And also I can't think too quicly or make fast decisions. I can't weed out information very quicly, especially if I'm anxious.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2011, 11:31 am

I'm currently in third year, med school. Studying in Hungary, the hard way.
If you thought dealing with patients in your mother tongue was hard, try doing it in one of the world's most difficult languages :P

So far surgery seems to be the way to go. 15 Years as a hard core gamer has its benefits when it comes to laparoscopic surgery!

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:29 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl4L4M8m4d0&feature=related[/youtube]

Izix
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2011, 2:17 am

I want to study biomedical engineering (luckily for me there is a specific course at one of the universities in my city). My brother is studying mechanical engineering, so it's interesting that I'd be interested in engineering too.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2011, 5:36 am

I've just applied with the paramedics, after working in both energency services and nursing, so combination of both. Am hopeful.