Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm

I don't like the criteria in the DSM V, but I definitely like that they're making it all just "autism". And totally agree with you all the weird little categories need to be scrapped. They miss the mark greatly.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

anbuend wrote:
I don't like the criteria in the DSM V, but I definitely like that they're making it all just "autism". And totally agree with you all the weird little categories need to be scrapped. They miss the mark greatly.

here's an idea: one single diagnosis for ASD, but change the criteria to the Gillberg criteria, a little modified to fit a wider group (LFA and such), agree?

I've decided that when people ask me what I have I'm going to say Autism Spectrum Disorder, not Asperger's.

edit: that said, I notice all the criteria's mention something about special interests being more rote then meaning as a characteristic, but from experiance I don't think this is true, they make it sound like special interests are often impersonal things, I think they're often very personal.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

What is full blown autism anyway? Can full blown autism get milder?