Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2011, 6:02 am

Okay so I did a thread of the same title before but I feel I need something fullproof that doesn't conflict with what my Dad think.

See, my Dad and his friends are against diet because according to them, they aren't fullproof. They have the idea that exercise and controlling the amount of food I/you/we eat alone is enough to lose weight effectively. I'm still currently 90 to 100kg at the moment due to other commitments that prevent me from finding time to work out at the time. But I wanna make time for exercise and dieting. I've heard of this diet called the 17 Day Diet and from I've heard and seen, it's pretty popular and effective. But I don't know whether to go for this. Basically I need a diet and exercise plan that allows me to eat any kind of food of any amount and also allows any kind of exercise regime of any time. Any suggestions? I mean it's fine if you guys don't of any that could work. If no such diet and exercise plan exist, then I'll have to argue with my Dad and his friends to let me do a diet.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 7:05 am

ashmeister wrote:
Okay so I did a thread of the same title before but I feel I need something fullproof that doesn't conflict with what my Dad think.

And what if your dad is wrong? Why can't you have your own opinion and follow an advise YOU agree with, even if such advice is in conflict with your dad? You are 21, you don't have to do everything your dad says.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

STARVE. Nah, I'm sorry, I don't know.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2011, 10:20 am

I'm thinking of starting on the Zone diet. I lost a lot of weight in Army basic training and thinking back the food we ate seemed kind of Zoney. . It's a 40-30-30 breakdown of calories. 40 percent of your calories from Carbohydrates, 30 percent from protein and 30 percent from fat.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 10:35 am

Um...I would be wary of any diet that guarantees visible results in 17 days that isn't an Olympian's diet and exercise plan. I know this is hard so I'll tell you what I've been doing to lose weight while at college.

I used some sort of algorithm to figure out my Basal metabolic rate so I can see how many calories per day if I want to maintain my weight and then subtract calories from that each day. A pound of fat is 3500 calories so split that up among seven days and so in theory if you cut out 500 calories a day, you'll lose a pound a week. It's worked for me pretty well so far and I get mild exercise about 3 days a week. :)

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

Like this one. Since I'm a 5'4" female at 219 that's lightly to moderately active depending on the day (I'm more lightly active on most days of the week so that's the one I selected) and to maintain my weight, I would need to eat 2300 calories apparently. If I minus out 500 calories, I would eat 1800 a day to be on track for losing 1 pound per week.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

Erisad wrote:
Um...I would be wary of any diet that guarantees visible results in 17 days that isn't an Olympian's diet and exercise plan. I know this is hard so I'll tell you what I've been doing to lose weight while at college.

I used some sort of algorithm to figure out my Basal metabolic rate so I can see how many calories per day if I want to maintain my weight and then subtract calories from that each day. A pound of fat is 3500 calories so split that up among seven days and so in theory if you cut out 500 calories a day, you'll lose a pound a week. It's worked for me pretty well so far and I get mild exercise about 3 days a week. :)

Like this one. Since I'm a 5'4" female at 219 that's lightly to moderately active depending on the day (I'm more lightly active on most days of the week so that's the one I selected) and to maintain my weight, I would need to eat 2300 calories apparently. If I minus out 500 calories, I would eat 1800 a day to be on track for losing 1 pound per week.

The 17 Day Diet doesn't last 17 days. It first takes 4 phases, each lasting 17 days. Then, the cycle repeats until you're fit. or something like that.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2011, 8:04 pm

Roman wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

And what if your dad is wrong? Why can't you have your own opinion and follow an advise YOU agree with, even if such advice is in conflict with your dad? You are 21, you don't have to do everything your dad says.

Yeah well I can't blame you for saying this but when you're living in a country like mine and your parents are with you, you're gonna need to depend on them. Not only that, despite the fact I'm 21, I'm practically useless on my own at the moment. And the minimum age to live on your own here in Singapore is 35 so until then, I have no choice but to rely on my Dad until I can get a proper and stable job. But I am planning on moving away to another country, but I still gotta rely on my Dad at the moment until then.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm

ashmeister wrote:
Basically I need a diet and exercise plan that allows me to eat any kind of food of any amount and also allows any kind of exercise regime of any time.

If you can eat anything you want, in any amount, how is that a diet?

I liked a book called _The Portion Teller_, which is about reasonable portion sizes. It doesn't limit any particular food, as long as you keep the portions reasonable. (In theory... in practice I bet a lot of foods go because you can only eat a thimbleful of them.)

The most important thing is to find something you can live with. I've lost 110 pounds in the last 4 years but I gain weight back at the drop of the hat. I have to be really satisfied with my diet, because I will never get to go back to how I used to eat.

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

Erisad wrote:

An Olympian's diet wont help.
Speaking as an Olympian, our diet is similar to what you have listed, but more along the lines of:

work out base metabolic rate then add INSANELY LARGE AMOUNTS for the amount of exercise we do
and then try to eat that much (often for some of us the challenge is eating enough, not eating too much).

As most people are saying in their posts, ANY diet will work if it relies on you eating less than what you are burning off.

PS There are several other threads in this forum with some tips to optimise this (read the recent 20 most threads in this forum and you will find them). I know because I have commented in them too :P

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 11:46 pm

ashmeister wrote:
Roman wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Yeah well I can't blame you for saying this but when you're living in a country like mine and your parents are with you, you're gonna need to depend on them. Not only that, despite the fact I'm 21, I'm practically useless on my own at the moment. And the minimum age to live on your own here in Singapore is 35 so until then, I have no choice but to rely on my Dad until I can get a proper and stable job. But I am planning on moving away to another country, but I still gotta rely on my Dad at the moment until then.

Well then move to another country as fast as you possibly can and don't come back to Singapoor. Once you are in another country your dad might still try to get you to rely on him; just ignnore him -- the laws of another country will protect you, as an adult. I mean seriously, relying on parents till 35 is called "ruined life" by Western standards, don't let it happen to you.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 8:08 pm

ashmeister wrote:
See, my Dad and his friends are against diet because according to them, they aren't fullproof. They have the idea that exercise and controlling the amount of food I/you/we eat alone is enough to lose weight effectively. I'm still currently 90 to 100kg at the moment due to other commitments that prevent me from finding time to work out at the time. But I wanna make time for exercise and dieting. I've heard of this diet called the 17 Day Diet and from I've heard and seen, it's pretty popular and effective. But I don't know whether to go for this. Basically I need a diet and exercise plan that allows me to eat any kind of food of any amount and also allows any kind of exercise regime of any time. Any suggestions? I mean it's fine if you guys don't of any that could work. If no such diet and exercise plan exist, then I'll have to argue with my Dad and his friends to let me do a diet.

Your dad is absolutely right. There is no such thing as a diet and exercise plan that allows you to "eat any kind of food of any amount." That sort of cancels out the definition of a diet. Any type of "17 day" diet is a scam. Listen to your dad and don't be fooled by magic diets. Any legitimate nutritionist, personal trainer, or athlete will tell you to eat a balanced meal that includes all the macronutrients. The trick is to not eat too much of anything.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2011, 12:29 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Your dad is absolutely right. There is no such thing as a diet and exercise plan that allows you to "eat any kind of food of any amount." That sort of cancels out the definition of a diet. Any type of "17 day" diet is a scam. Listen to your dad and don't be fooled by magic diets. Any legitimate nutritionist, personal trainer, or athlete will tell you to eat a balanced meal that includes all the macronutrients. The trick is to not eat too much of anything.

Dude the 17 Day Diet doesn't last 17 days. It primarily composes of 4 phases, each phase lasting 17 days. That's why it's called the 17 Day Diet. And it was invented by a certified doctor. Go read on it if you don't believe me.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:42 am

ashmeister wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Dude the 17 Day Diet doesn't last 17 days. It primarily composes of 4 phases, each phase lasting 17 days. That's why it's called the 17 Day Diet. And it was invented by a certified doctor. Go read on it if you don't believe me.

All these scam diets were "invented by a certified doctor." Don't be so gullible. Even if it was invented by a doctor, there are alot of crap doctors that will do anything for money. Diets are temporary. As soon as you get off the diet, you will gain back the weight. You need to change your long-term lifestyle, which means eating less and exercising.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ashmeister wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

All these scam diets were "invented by a certified doctor." Don't be so gullible. Even if it was invented by a doctor, there are alot of crap doctors that will do anything for money. Diets are temporary. As soon as you get off the diet, you will gain back the weight. You need to change your long-term lifestyle, which means eating less and exercising.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzff7Y0MuU[/youtube]

Okay I don't mean to be rude to you but let's see you try and say that Dr. Mike Moreno and Dr. Phil are fakes.

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2011, 4:52 pm

Dr Mike Moreno and Dr Phil are fakes. Wow, that was easy.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 3:03 pm

ashmeister wrote:
Okay I don't mean to be rude to you but let's see you try and say that Dr. Mike Moreno and Dr. Phil are fakes.

Look, unlike Dr. Phil and this Moreno dude, I don't have anything to gain by giving you advice. These people on TV are controlled by money and ratings so they will say whatever will get them viewers. I'm an endurance athlete, and I have experience in diet and nutrition. I also have spoken to many other coaches and athlets and absolutely not one of them believes in fad diets. They are complete scams and you will gain the weight back once you're done with the diet.

If you don't wanna take my advice, that's fine, but don't give me a hard time about it by arguing with someone who is actually trying to give you unbiased information that's not adulterated by media hype.