Do you get strange comments? Is it related to AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2011, 1:41 am

About half of everyone I've met has called me 'odd', 'weird' etc. I've had lots of 'you're an individual', 'you know your own mind'etc. I've had quite a few friends going into hysterics when I've said something, then calming down and saying "oh i love you daedal", still laughing a bit, sometimes when I meant to be funny but more often when I didn't! I don't think I am such an individual anymore. I've gone so quiet in the company of peers. Even with adults, I feel much more nervous than I did. When I was little I wasn't so self concious in some areas, like what I said, so I came out with random stuff all the time. This is quite nice, the new neighbours keep telling my parents how polite and friendly I am. And my parents and they are hardly speaking. Quite a change from the girl who used to make people cry...although this is quite intentional!

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 1:48 am

The cashier at Walmart the other day told me I was a dark person with a bright soul....

Millstone
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2011, 3:46 am

MooCow wrote:
The cashier at Walmart the other day told me I was a dark person with a bright soul....
it means nothing.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 8:13 am

neto wrote:
I was at a coffee shop one day sitting alone peacefully smoking a cigarette and sipping a coffee and a woman came up to me and asked if I was feeling sad because I had this sad and distant look in my eyes and asked "how is life treating you?" I just said "that's none of your business".

That sounds like a classic pickup line, and you blew it.

Actually, I think a lot of the comments in this thread might have been flirtatious.

Has anyone in this thread also posted in "Why do I never get laid?"

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 8:27 am

StuartN wrote:
neto wrote:
I was at a coffee shop one day sitting alone peacefully smoking a cigarette and sipping a coffee and a woman came up to me and asked if I was feeling sad because I had this sad and distant look in my eyes and asked "how is life treating you?" I just said "that's none of your business".

Actually, I think a lot of the comments in this thread might have been flirtatious.

Maybe only in a few cases. I don't think horny NTs would come up to someone and remark on their aura.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 10:17 am

StuartN wrote:
neto wrote:

If it was one in my case, I definitely wouldn't have been interested. :lol:

SYZendera
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2011, 3:11 am

Not sure if related to any ASDs, but I have been called "weird" a lot, or just being defined as my name, as if I'm not a human. Another thing, I have been randomly (it seems) been asked or labeled as something, I have been asked if I was gay by a random girl. But, random people have called me God and worshiped me, so it's quite varying.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 3:23 am

Strangers tend to steer clear of me. I suppose I look unapproachable.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 5:26 am

I get lots of weird comments. Most people can't get past how i look. I am treated like "a hot piece of arse" or "better looking then me" or "freaky tall so i am intimidated". It is when i open my mouth and talk, that i am always asked invariably where i come from. My language skills are described as very precise or "like fraiser crane." 8)

The other week i was asked by a less then intelligent woman where i came from, because she knows someone who talks similar. My response was, "Is he Autistic?" and walked away. :lol:

Oh yes, Tall man in black with a black fedora on the bus the other day who i was talking about differential mathematics with, If you are here, HELLO!! !!

So I'm never in a rush

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 10:42 am

Interesting thread and YES it happens to me much like OP. Animals LOVE me and so do babies. My friends know me as very spiritual as well. I feel more connected to things they do not know as I am more a "sensing" person much like an animal and baby. That is my only explanantion for the instant attraction. Truth be told, I don't even really care much for babies but if there is one in a room with me, they are always trying to make contact with me. All little people do this in fact. Yesterday a friend and I walked into a bathroom and a little girl standing there ignored her, looked right and me and said, "Hi" as if we were old buddies. My friend has seen this enough that it doesn't suprise her but it was yet another confirmation that it is real...

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 10:46 am

Recently, a teacher told me I'm very charismatic. Yeah, sure, and Hitler was a fervorous jewish rabbi...

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

I am called strange, weird, unsettling, etc. more times then I can recall.

In the last few years I am finally been able to attune to others, so I don't really get those names unless I act out of social context.

I do think it is a little bit related to AS, but purely the lack of understanding or having empathy.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

Oh yeah...I have had my share of those comments, 90% of which were before my 2001 diagnosis with AS (I improved significantly since then, and can pass off as NT to all but the most sensory-perceptive people...mostly female). I'm a guy in my 30s, and while now people address me as "sir", I found that ever since I was 18, people in shops and public places called me "sir", even people about my own age. It's as if they picked up on something about me, that I had a rigid or formal aura or something, so I wasn't one of them. It really bothered me, and I remember my peers saying that, one day in their mid-20s, somebody called them "sir"for the first time. I didn't mind people calling me "buddy"or "fella"or whatever slang, in fact, I preferred they would, but it didn't happen as much as I would have liked. One time, I remember that I was browsing around in a bookstore, I had just turned 20, and a salesperson in her 60s said "you look puzzled Sir, is there something that I might be able to help you with?" she said it in such a way that I was lost, not that I was looking for what title or whatever.

Get this though - this will give you a chuckle - at the age of 24 (before my diagnosis) I went to a psychic fair in my city, and paid $20 to some 60-something female psychic (who looked like a gypsy BTW!!) to tell me something about me that I didn't realize, that I sometimes don't think that I truly understand myself...her response? "You seem like a highly intelligent young man, you have a good heart, but I sense you are awkward by nature and do not know what to say to people, you would not be a good salesperson but you could excel in [insert academic or intellectual field] and that you are desperate for people to really understand you, but you need to give them space and not be too forceful to belong." WELL, being somewhat naive, I thought she was quite insightful, but the reality was that at that stage of my life, several people could have told me that.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 8:32 pm

Maybe the guy said that because he was hoping you would start conversing with him?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm

I had this teacher in high school that always would ask me if I was high. Seriously?!

I never did any drugs, nor was I ever tempted. You need social connections to buy that stuff anyway, so how could I possibly get drugs? I guess she misinterpreted my characteristic blank, spacey stare. The fact that I was always sleep-deprived probably didn't do me any favors.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

Heck I remember getting kicked out of bars on 2 separate occasions, once when I had no alcohol at all - that I looked "totally gone", and another time when I only drank one bottle of beer, and I stumbled on a step (on a flight of just 4 steps) and the doorman said "OK buddy, it's time for you to go." My protesting didn't work...and this was a few years before my diagnosis (one of many things prompting me to get re-diagnosed from ADHD, b/c I knew people with ADHD who didn't have these things happen to them).

Imagine today, if I told them I had Asperger Syndrome...would it be grounds for leniency? Probably not. They probably wouldn't believe me anyway. :roll: