Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:13 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034809

Cancer,AS, etc. (The jumping point is the Asperger's child Max in the show Parenthood. I dislike how they mention it as a "disease." Personally I rather say "condition" and overall while the professional use for PTSD etc. is "Mental Illness" I rather them be referred as "Psychological issue."/behavior issue. NOT Mental (Since IMO you're "mental" = crazy) and "Illness" as if some DSM disorder means you are "sick." Enjoy.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:59 pm

Isn't PTSD like a sickness? Wouldn't one rather not have PTSD? I don't have it myself, so I don't know how it is. But, its something that comes on after experiencing trauma, and hopefully the person with it can get better over time. I wasn't comfortable with the term "disease," either. It has connotations. But, I hope that people will read more about Aspergers and educate themselves...

rabchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm

I tend to think of AS as a condition, since it doesn't progress like a disease. It's just how someone is.
PTSD is a disorder to me because there are treatments that lessen the symptoms and it's something
made by a situation, not innate, not biologically based as such, and doesn't have a predictable
trajectory.

Neither qualifies as a disease since neither has a predictable natural history like cancer or an infection.

Illness to me is something biologically based but I find the term to have less sever connotations than
disease.

That may not make sense :P