Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:42 pm

Ok so I have mentioned before I am going through the applying process for SSI, and the SSI department or whatever sceduled a dr. appointment for me to further determine if my problems are severe enough for the SSI. But I am kind of worried about it because I have heard some negative things like they basically get you in and out within 5 minutes and that would hardly be enough time for me to 'prove' anything.

I really feel I could benifit from the SSI, I do not plan to remain on it forever.....but for the time being I really do need the financial help so I am worried that in such a short amount of time they might decide I look too normal or act to normal or whatever and deny me. Has anyone had one of these appointments? and if so do they actualy ask you questions and give you a reasonable amount of time to answer them and such? also I was wondering if anyone has any tips. I have a couple weeks before the appointment, so I figured I would try and find out how it might go so I am prepared.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:53 pm

The baseline with social security, unfortunately, is that they reject all kinds of people. Yes, go through the application process, but please do not put all your eggs in the social security basket.

I have had some success with doctor appointments where I write three things on one half a piece of paper. Not even three sentences, just three phrases. The three most important things.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:57 pm

Oddly enough, being nervous probably won't hurt you. You won't be able to use the most complex of your social skills, and that will likely make your autism more obvious. I know a lot of us try to "put on a good face" most of the time, and it can be difficult to be honest about your difficulties; but do be honest--they can't evaluate you properly if they don't know what you have trouble with.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:00 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
The baseline with social security, unfortunately, is that they reject all kinds of people. Yes, go through the application process, but please do not put all your eggs in the social security basket.

I have had some success with doctor appointments where I write three things on one half a piece of paper. Not even three sentences, just three phrases. The three most important things.

Well I try not to but I kind of have no other choice...because I don't know if my college grants and loans I'll be getting will be enough for paying rent and buying food and covering any medical costs. but yeah I don't want to screw myself over with this doctors appointment by seeming to normal which is very possible within 5 minutes...I have to wonder if would be expecting too much if I hope for maybe 10 minutes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Apr 2011, 9:09 pm

Whatever you do, you'll want an attorney eventually.

Also, you are able to update your application over time so if you have incomplete information right at the start you can add more later.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:29 pm

Yes, 5 minutes seems very skimpy to me, too. Now, if the doctor was seeing you on several separate occasions for short visits that might be better than one long visit, but I don't think they do that either.

And Verdandi might be right. You might eventually need a lawyer. Kind of like an Ace you're holding, don't yet need to play, might eventually need to play.

My advice, please don't play it up. Kind of like in politics, people have a bullsh*t detector from miles away, even if you're showing how you sometimes act, I think it still plays poorly.

What if you just say: 'Look, this is a structured environment. I do better in structured environments.'

And then kind of tell the heart of the matter, how Asperger's / Autism Spectrum has impinged on you social. Or something in written form.

And if it was me, I would talk about difficulties on the job where people have either passively or actively persecuted. Just today, I gave two weeks notice at the awful dept store. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt155745.html
I've had a supervisor bail on me, not take seriously that an experienced person was blatantly stealing sales. Not set an employee straight, no, I'm not going to ring up this same experienced employee where I void a sale (to her!) and she stands over my shoulder telling me how it's done, and then I re-ring the same sale to her a different way. I mean, that is just terrible cash control. The employee took it that I was accusing her of something dishonest. And the supervisor should have absolutely set her straight. No, he has every right to refuse a sale he doesn't understand. But she didn't. In retrospect, I should have had a more blanket policy---I don't ring up people I know. Well, live and learn, next time I know. (and all this for a job that pays seven dollars+ an hour! Like I say, the lousy jobs are the hardest jobs. The "entry level" jobs for a variety of reasons are often the hardest.)

^^^and it would be a real challenge to summarize the above for a doctor pressed for time^^^

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:52 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Also, you are able to update your application over time so if you have incomplete information right at the start you can add more later.

Well then I guess I don't have much of a chance, I have no way of affording an attorney nor would I be able to handle the stress associated with a ton of paper work...I suppose they either approve it or I am on my own.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:54 pm

Yes, 5 minutes seems very skimpy to me, too. Now, if the doctor was seeing you on several separate occasions for short visits that might be better than one long visit, but I don't think they do that either.

And Verdandi might be right. You might eventually need a lawyer. Kind of like an Ace you're holding, don't yet need to play, might eventually need to play.

My advice, please don't play it up. Kind of like in politics, people have a bullsh*t detector from miles away, even if you're showing how you sometimes act, I think it still plays poorly.

What if you just say: 'Look, this is a structured environment. I do better in structured environments.'

And then kind of tell the heart of the matter, how Asperger's / Autism Spectrum has impinged on you social. Or something in written form.

And if it was me, I would talk about difficulties on the job where people have either passively or actively persecuted. Just today, I gave two weeks notice at the awful dept store. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt155745.html
I've had a supervisor bail on me, not take seriously that an experienced person was blatantly stealing sales. Not set an employee straight, no, I'm not going to ring up this same experienced employee where I void a sale (to her!) and she stands over my shoulder telling me how it's done, and then I re-ring the same sale to her a different way. I mean, that is just terrible cash control. The employee took it that I was accusing her of something dishonest. And the supervisor should have absolutely set her straight. No, he has every right to refuse a sale he doesn't understand. But she didn't. In retrospect, I should have had a more blanket policy---I don't ring up people I know. Well, live and learn, next time I know. (and all this for a job that pays seven dollars+ an hour! Like I say, the lousy jobs are the hardest jobs. The "entry level" jobs for a variety of reasons are often the hardest.)

^^^and it would be a real challenge to summarize the above for a doctor pressed for time^^^

But I don't do better in structured environments...also I will obviously talk about the aspergers but I also have severe depression, anxiety and PTSD so I will mention those things as well. Though if I will need an attorney I may as well forget about getting the SSI even though I need it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Apr 2011, 9:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Well then I guess I don't have much of a chance, I have no way of affording an attorney nor would I be able to handle the stress associated with a ton of paper work...I suppose they either approve it or I am on my own.

Oh, damnit, I didn't realize you didn't know this:

* The attorney's fee comes out of your initial disability disbursement. You start accruing benefits from the day you apply, and when you are approved you get everything going back to that day in one lump sum. An attorney who helps you with this paid I think 30% of what you get at the end. You do not pay out of pocket.

* The attorney actually assists you with the paperwork. Without an attorney, you have to do a ton more paperwork on your own, and have much less guidance in how to handle it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:56 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

* The attorney's fee comes out of your initial disability disbursement. You start accruing benefits from the day you apply, and when you are approved you get everything going back to that day in one lump sum. An attorney who helps you with this paid I think 30% of what you get at the end. You do not pay out of pocket.

* The attorney actually assists you with the paperwork. Without an attorney, you have to do a ton more paperwork on your own, and have much less guidance in how to handle it.

Well if I don't get approved wouldn't I end up having to pay for it myself?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm

I think the attorney takes the case on contingency.

And also for the other reasons you mention such as severe depression, anxiety and PTSD.

Back when I was in the anti-war movement during the first Gulf War 1991, I a little bit met this attorney who did social security cases, talked with him a couple of times, actually a pretty interesting guy who told me some about the anti-Vietnam war movement, and how your friends and fellow students even if they were against the war, if they weren't politically active like you it was easy to fall away, and he wished it wasn't this way. Any way, this guy advertised on TV and had a big yellow page ad.

But across the board, I think the baseline, social security really doesn't want to give people disability. So, a person can go through the steps and (if need be) at a time of your choosing, contact an attorney. And then, no guarantee the first person will take the case, might need to ask several.

Good luck with all of this. :D You might get a doctor who's kind of good and hip to Asperger's, even if rushed. And please keep us updated as feels right.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 11 Apr 2011, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm

I think the attorney takes the case on contingency.

I am not sure what that means...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

No, it's contingency. You pay nothing if you lose.

The system is set up to f**k with disabled people, I will not even pretend to argue otherwise. However, it is not set up to f**k with disabled people quite that much.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

No, it's contingency. You pay nothing if you lose.

The system is set up to f**k with disabled people, I will not even pretend to argue otherwise. However, it is not set up to f**k with disabled people quite that much.

Well alright I guess that is not too bad...uhh this probably sounds stupid but if I don't get approved and then the college loans and grants are not enough for me to be able to afford to live independantly I don't think I will have much more motivation to keep living. I mean come on no one is ever going to want to be friends with or date some loser who can't afford to move out of their moms house and can't do adult things because they are worried about what their mom will say when they show up at home at 3 in the morning. she does not even know I drink...well now I am getting off topic but these things are getting to me so I guess I am a bit on the desprate side and since it seems most people are positive that I will get denied over and over again makes it seem quite impossible.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:15 pm

I mean, you might not get denied. In your case, the system might work like it's supposed to. Yes, you might get lucky.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 10:16 pm

I struggle with friendship, too. And in conventional terms, people might label me a loser. Nonconventional terms, I think I get a lot done.

Please do look for reasons to keep living. For starters, we need you here, right. 8)

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 11 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.