Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

pezar wrote:
He was one of the few people on earth to have no ego at all.

Yep yep.. Thats what drew me to his work..

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

pree10shun wrote:
pezar wrote:

If he had no ego why did he sign his name on his work?

Why did he undertake his work unless he thought it was worth sharing. That is ego.

ruveyn

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 5:30 am

ruveyn wrote:
pree10shun wrote:
pezar wrote:

If he had no ego why did he sign his name on his work?

I don't really see what using one's name has to do with one's ego. If I sign my name on a hotel register, I'm not doing it because it makes my ego happy, it's just functional. The dude needs to eat, he's written books that people want to buy, seems reasonable to me.

Quote:
Why did he undertake his work unless he thought it was worth sharing. That is ego.

When work needs doing, doesn't matter who does it. It's not egoic to feel that you have something to share that could benefit others. It's only egoic if you undertake a work primarily with the motivation to boost your ego.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 7:01 am

TallyMan wrote:
Moog wrote:
I should perhaps look at Krishnamurti's work with a fresh eye.

Maybe worth a try. I learned a great deal from his teachings, or more specifically he helped to remove some of the blinkers I'd been wearing all my life and to question at a deeper level. His teachings are nothing to do with philosophy or systems or the accumulation of knowledge. I can see why they would not appeal to Awsomelyglorious.

Instead the teachings help to awaken a metaphorical inner eye and to witness the activities of your own mind/brain at deeper levels and similarly with the exterior world. This witnessing opens up new levels of perception that the vast majority of people aren't aware of at the conscious level. In turn this awakening of insight can have profound effects on one's personality and behaviour.

There are other contemporary teachers who express similar teachings as K. There is some overlap and some areas where they superficially disagree but many express the same sentiments and I can see they are talking about the same "thing", be they dualistic or non-dualistic; teachers. Alan Watts you already mentioned, Suzuki, Eckhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, etc.

I'm sure I'd get something out of it. I just wonder if I need to right now. I used to read a lot and practice a little. Now it's more the other way.

A lot of times when I'm reading material relating to these matters, I find I'm reading the same thing in different words, which gets a bit redundant after a while.

I am grateful that all these people have given their perspectives; if one doesn't make sense, there's likely another one that does.

You only need one sperm to crack the egg.