Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 1:39 am

Have any of you read his books? I just finished Total Freedom and am impatiently waiting for another tome to arrive for me at the library (take forever for them find them in the system).
I LOVE HIS BRAIN!His perspectives,lack of judging,so open minded..full of pure love; he is so amazing,I even got my grandmother hooked on him.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 1:57 am

Sorry I haven't read any of his books, tho I hear of him in passing reference to the Theosophical Society. I done a bit of reading into Theosophy as I have a little bit of an interest in there teachings about ascended masters.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 2:00 am

Oh YOU MUST READ HIS WORK!! !
"One observes throughout the world there are two fundamental issues, violence and sorrow. That violence and sorrow is not limited to the Orient nor the Occident, to the West nor the East; it is part of the human psychological structure. Violence we have accepted as a way of life - in wars, in our business, in our outward social structure; competition and all the things we know of - how we dislike, hate, get angry, violent. We are familiar with that and have accepted it as a way of life."
Soo true!

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

Mackica wrote:
Oh YOU MUST READ HIS WORK!! !
"One observes throughout the world there are two fundamental issues, violence and sorrow. That violence and sorrow is not limited to the Orient nor the Occident, to the West nor the East; it is part of the human psychological structure. Violence we have accepted as a way of life - in wars, in our business, in our outward social structure; competition and all the things we know of - how we dislike, hate, get angry, violent. We are familiar with that and have accepted it as a way of life."
Soo true!

That's beautiful!
He was around when Gandhi was around. His teachings are like Gandhi's but I connect with Jiddu Krishnamurti's teachings better.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

Never heard of him... but now all of his books are making their way to my kindle ;)

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

Heard of him. mostrl about his exploitation.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if its true that he went into some kind of trance at times and spoke like some divine power was speaking through him. Did he have schizophrenia?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

I'm not familiar with his work, but I read the wiki article on him. From that, he seems to have been heavily influenced by spending his youth in Germany among Communists and Anarchists, and seems to have tried to synthesize a form of Anarchism with Hindu/Eastern thought.

He was badly exploited as a child by the Theosophists, who built him a ready made cult, The Order of the Star of the East, of which he was to become a god-king. He then, as soon as he could, told his "followers" to eff off, that he wasn't going to be anybody's deity. That alone took enormous cojones, especially since he'd spent most of his childhood among people who believed he was a god.

He then went about breaking away from Theosophy, and forming his own discipline. He seems to have been opposed to all forms of organized religion, including those based on himself, and told people not to worship him as a god. I think he got that from the Communists, who believed that organized religion was a capitalist tool of oppression.

His stated goal in life was to liberate man from wrong thought, and by his own admission, several weeks before his death, he failed. He was one of the few people on earth to have no ego at all. Such a person would be crushed by the warfare-welfare state today. He is fascinating, but like Nikola Tesla, he's beyond most people's grasp.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:34 pm

One of my favourite physicists (David Bohm) seemed sympathetic to his philosophy. I was never interested in that kind of stuff but I do like this quote very much:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

heylelshalem
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

I have a few of his books. He boils down spirituality to its baser elements. I find it kinda refreshing that this guy was set up to be a uber-guru and then he spent the rest of his life trying to tear apart guru-ism....I read his one book "the light in oneself" and was very impressed.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

Heard of him. Generally disinterested though. Spiritual leaders do not interest me. The only possible value I could get would be understanding his system, and if his system is a minority system, then understanding it provides little value as some of the value of learning is that it connects you with other ideas.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:49 am

I have read several of his books and listened to most of his talks - I've got around 100 cassette tapes of his talks. He was a fascinating man and he had great insight into the human mind and into spirituality in general. His teachings have had a profound effect on me and my life.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:02 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Heard of him. Generally disinterested though. Spiritual leaders do not interest me. The only possible value I could get would be understanding his system, and if his system is a minority system, then understanding it provides little value as some of the value of learning is that it connects you with other ideas.

Brilliant. :roll:

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:13 am

I started reading him as a nascent Buddhist maybe 5 or 6 years ago?

I found his teachings utterly impenetrable then, but I did have an instinctive feeling that he was on to something.

Anyway, I moved on to other material, most notably that of Alan Watts, who seemed to be capable of transmitting something that made sense to my dim mind.

I should perhaps look at Krishnamurti's work with a fresh eye.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:59 am

Moog wrote:
I should perhaps look at Krishnamurti's work with a fresh eye.

Maybe worth a try. I learned a great deal from his teachings, or more specifically he helped to remove some of the blinkers I'd been wearing all my life and to question at a deeper level. His teachings are nothing to do with philosophy or systems or the accumulation of knowledge. I can see why they would not appeal to Awsomelyglorious.

Instead the teachings help to awaken a metaphorical inner eye and to witness the activities of your own mind/brain at deeper levels and similarly with the exterior world. This witnessing opens up new levels of perception that the vast majority of people aren't aware of at the conscious level. In turn this awakening of insight can have profound effects on one's personality and behaviour.

There are other contemporary teachers who express similar teachings as K. There is some overlap and some areas where they superficially disagree but many express the same sentiments and I can see they are talking about the same "thing", be they dualistic or non-dualistic; teachers. Alan Watts you already mentioned, Suzuki, Eckhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, etc.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

pezar wrote:
He was one of the few people on earth to have no ego at all.

Yep yep.. Thats what drew me to his work..