Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 9:40 am

So as I mentioned in a previous post on another topic in this forum I am struggling in the course of study I chose at school. Well that was how ever long ago then was. Now I'm flunking out miserably. I haven't been to an accounting class in at least a month but there's no point because on my own or with help from a classmate or with tutoring I just don't get the concepts, I ugly cried in my mid-term that's how badly I don't get it. I've started ditching other classes too because I can't do the material and it's too late in the semester for a tutor, I had a thought of after this falls through to save up and pay myself to go back and finish another diploma I have partially done but I wonder of there's even be point in it because I think so I wouldn't get overwhelmed I'd have to do it through CE(Continuing Education) one course at a time which would take me six semesters as I have six courses left to complete in that program. The only problem I foresee with that as with taking any other program is the second semester English course. I'm fine until like the latter point of the semester when we have to do different types of business reports and APA bibliography stuff. I can't and by I can't I don't mean "oh I can't so I'm not going to try" I mean I'm incapable of writing these reports because I can't(again I'm incapable of) read critically. Basically when I say can't in my title I mean "don't want to" because college or well any level of school in general makes me feel inferior.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

What kind of class is it?

You seem to be miserable in your current program---doesn't mean you would be miserable in everything. Why not switch your major to something you would enjoy more.

space455
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2011, 6:13 am

if you have decided to drop a class/classes, try and do it before the deadline so it doesn't hurt your average. If its too late don't worry, my old university would allow you to have your old marks removed from your record after a few years so that's something work looking into. what type of support services does your school have? I'm just finishing my first year back and i know i wouldn't have been able to do it without the help they gave me.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 7:12 pm

space455 wrote:
if you have decided to drop a class/classes, try and do it before the deadline so it doesn't hurt your average. If its too late don't worry, my old university would allow you to have your old marks removed from your record after a few years so that's something work looking into. what type of support services does your school have? I'm just finishing my first year back and i know i wouldn't have been able to do it without the help they gave me.

I can unfortunately not drop the course I'm having problems with because my program hinges on it so I'm stuck in it.

KevLibraryGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

Have you gotten accomodations with Accessibility Services/your school's equivalent?

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

Support or lack their of isn't my problem, I have plenty of it and it's great.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm

LostInBed wrote:
I can unfortunately not drop the course I'm having problems with because my program hinges on it so I'm stuck in it.

Then I repeat, why not find a different program? Unless the one you are in now is something you really want to use after graduation.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:12 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
LostInBed wrote:

Then I repeat, why not find a different program? Unless the one you are in now is something you really want to use after graduation.

I'm doing school through a government funding program and if I change programs I lose the funding.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:20 pm

LostInBed wrote:
I'm doing school through a government funding program and if I change programs I lose the funding.

Then I'd say you need to make a decision: Do you want to be miserable, struggling through a program that offers financial aid, or do you want to try something easier, that you'd be happier doing, but have to pay for entirely on your own?

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 11:12 pm

Can you take online classes? I am going to next semester..I took a leave of absence this semester,went to my advisor yesterday..done with all my major classes just need to finish the ugly hard core ones:math,science,social science,lab,those things..hopefully I can pass them! I HAVE TO! only 6 classes left!! !! 8) :lol:

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm

Mackica wrote:
Can you take online classes?

From what I understand, the course material is the problem, not the location. Online classes still cover the same material as conventional ones.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:16 am

Zokk wrote:
From what I understand, the course material is the problem, not the location. Online classes still cover the same material as conventional ones.

And for some people online courses can be even more challenging when there is a lot less guidance and explanations from the professors.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:39 am

littlelily613 wrote:
And for some people online courses can be even more challenging when there is a lot less guidance and explanations from the professors.

Very true; part of the reason I don't take online classes.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:40 am

littlelily613 wrote:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:13 pm

Zokk wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I took one last semester. I absolutely HATED it! No structure at all which I need, and it was basically "read these hundred pages and we can test you on anything at all found in it". At least with lectures, you get some kind of guideline about testable material. I would never do it again!

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:14 pm

Zokk wrote:
LostInBed wrote:

Then I'd say you need to make a decision: Do you want to be miserable, struggling through a program that offers financial aid, or do you want to try something easier, that you'd be happier doing, but have to pay for entirely on your own?

Well I'd be miserable in pretty much any and every program, I think, because when it comes down to it the end of semester assignments for the English course(which is one of the three courses common to every certificate/diploma/degree my college offers) I'm unable to do them and they all come to an accumulated total of 40% of my overall grade and knowing that kinda seriously bums me out..