Just a kid being playful? 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Other? 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 17

number5
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:04 am

J. Crew Ad With Boy's Pink Toenails Creates Stir
Social Conservatives Call Ad 'Propaganda;' Transgender Groups Say Reaction is 'Ridiculous'

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
April 13, 2011

A mother paints her son's toenails hot pink because it's his favorite color. Does that mean he'll become gay or transgender? That is the controversy surrounding a J. Crew ad that is swirling around the Internet.

It began when a photo of J. Crew's president and creative director Jenna Lyons painting the toenails of her son Beckett in an ad was sent to customers last week in a feature, "Saturday with Jenna."

"Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink," says the caption. "Toenail painting is way more fun in neon."

Social conservatives reacted with outrage. Fox News' Dr. Keith Ablow ran an opinion piece on the issue and Erin Brown of the right-leaning Media Research Center called the ad "blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children."

"Not only is Beckett likely to change his favorite color as early as tomorrow, Jenna's indulgence (or encouragement) could make life hard for the boy in the future," Brown wrote. J. Crew, known for its tasteful and modest clothing, apparently does not mind exploiting Beckett behind the facade of liberal, transgendered identity politics."

Reaction to the reaction was appalled at the notion that the child was being "turned" gay or transgender.

One of Brown's online readers wrote, "A small child, with no secondary sexual characteristics, cannot be considered 'transgendered' or even a transvestite. On the other hand, a fully grown person such as yourself can definitely be considered a small-minded a**hole."

Another noted that Speaker of the House John Boehner loves pink ties -- does that make him gay?

Advocacy groups are also fighting back, calling the reaction to the ad "ridiculous."

"This is not how the world works and not how children work, and not even how trans advocacy works," said Mara Keisling, executive director of National Center for Transgender Equality.

"Complaints about the ad are totally blown out of proportion," she said. "It's just a cute ad with a cute mom-and-son scene and the kid wants to wear pink nail polish...It could be the kids just wants to spend time with his mom."

A report last week by the Williams Institute, a UCLA think tank that focuses on lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender issues, reveals that an estimated 4 percent of Americans are gay and of that only about .3 percent are transgender.

Most research on gender identity and sexual orientation concludes that neither is a choice. Nor can they be shaped by a parent's wishes, said Dr. Jack Drescher, a New York City psychiatrist.

Drescher, who wrote the 2010 paper, "Queer Diagnoses," which was published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, serves on the American Psychiatric Association's committee that is addressing sexual and gender identity disorder for the DSM-V. DSM-V is psychiatry's encyclopedia of behavioral diagnoses.

"I can say with 100 percent certainty that a mother painting her children's toe nails pink does not cause transgenderism or homosexuality or anything else that people who are social conservatives would worry about," he said.

"First of all, no one knows what causes transgenderism, and the idea that painting toenails pink causes it has no scientific validity," said Drescher. "What we do know is many people feel that it is their role to police gender and tell them what correct behavior is for boys and girls."

Feminist notions that gender is culturally determined are also erroneous, according to Drescher. Most studies showed that if boys were given Barbie dolls, they would "use them as if they were guns," he said.

"Certainly research shows that there are gender preferences in the way kids like to play, and boys may be rougher than girls," he said. "But then there is a broad range of children who don't fit into larger categories and for some families it causes panic and for some, it's not a problem at all."

Friction can result when someone outside the family -- a friend or perhaps a "horrified grandmother" -- tries to tell parents "what is right and wrong."

Drescher said there were "many pathways" to becoming gay or transgender and "not one size fits all." Some know when they are young and others could never have predicted their later feelings of sexual orientation or gender identity.

"The idea that a parent is indulging a child's interest in unconventional gender behavior does something to the child has no scientific basis," he said.

Meanwhile, J. Crew officials had no comment on the pink toenail controversy, but one parent wondered online, "Why would I want my son to paint his toenails pink? Why would I want my son to paint his toenails at all?"

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/crew-ad-bo ... 903&page=1

number5
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:13 am

So I saw this story this morning and I found it quite interesting. Being a mom of 2 small kids, one boy and one girl, the issue of gender molding come up somewhat frequently. Sometimes, my boy is interested in princesses and sometimes my girl is into dinosaurs. To me, it's no big deal - they're kids. Many others see it quite differently. My son got some nasty stares when he chose to wear a pink hat not too long ago, but yet when my daughter wears a shirt with trucks, no one seems to care at all.

How do others feel about this one?

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

I think it's ridiculous... When my son was little he wanted his nails painted too. So what? I'd paint his nails and he'd go out and bash some toy cars around.

Whenever I hear stuff like this I'm reminded of the Ann Rule book that tells the story of a 5 year old boy who got in trouble because he was caught wearing pretty red high heels that he found in the neighboring dump... He later grew up to be a serial killer who cut off women's feet an froze them in pretty high heeled shoes..

Jeez, If your kid wants his nails painted or wants to play in high heels... just let him. I don't see the problem with it and making him feel that there is a problem with it could be way more damaging.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

number5 wrote:
[i]J. Crew Ad With Boy's Pink Toenails Creates Stir
Social Conservatives Call Ad 'Propaganda;' Transgender Groups Say Reaction is 'Ridiculous'

A mother paints her son's toenails hot pink because it's his favorite color. Does that mean he'll become gay or transgender? That is the controversy surrounding a J. Crew ad that is swirling around the Internet.

I'm not from the US so I don't really understand the backstory to this article. Aside from the odd idea that a little boy being allowed to paint his toenails pink will mean he will become gay in the future, I find the whole article deeply annoying for the general assumption that being gay or transgender is somehow an undesirable thing.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

Here is a blog post with a similar issue that got a lot of press.

Nerdy Applebottom

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm

Other: IDGAS.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=idgas

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

You have to consider that we're talking about a TV commercial, so the ordinary child's curiousity argument goes right out the window.

There is a lot of psychological study conducted for an advertisement (particularly when it is a large company). Things are rarely spontaneous.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
You have to consider that we're talking about a TV commercial, so the ordinary child's curiousity argument goes right out the window.

There is a lot of psychological study conducted for an advertisement (particularly when it is a large company). Things are rarely spontaneous.

There's certain a science to advertising, but in this case, I'm pretty sure added exposure via free publicity was all that the marketing department was thinking about. The only agenda was to get a lot of people to say J. Crew in public. Yay, buzzword - that sort of thing. I doubt they care at all about gender issues.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:05 pm

number5 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

There's certain a science to advertising, but in this case, I'm pretty sure added exposure via free publicity was all that the marketing department was thinking about. The only agenda was to get a lot of people to say J. Crew in public. Yay, buzzword - that sort of thing. I doubt they care at all about gender issues.

This kind of publicity they might not want, because it pisses off a segment of the population unless it was for ideology and not the bottom line. I'm not understating when I say everything is planned in advertisements right down to the colors used if it is a good ad.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:21 pm

I think this is mere curiosity and it's not gonna make the kid turn gay. I'm not sure about where being a tranny comes from, but homosexuality is genetic.

I thought this was interesting:

Quote:
"First of all, no one knows what causes transgenderism, and the idea that painting toenails pink causes it has no scientific validity," said Drescher. "What we do know is many people feel that it is their role to police gender and tell them what correct behavior is for boys and girls."

Feminist notions that gender is culturally determined are also erroneous, according to Drescher. Most studies showed that if boys were given Barbie dolls, they would "use them as if they were guns," he said.

"Certainly research shows that there are gender preferences in the way kids like to play, and boys may be rougher than girls," he said. "But then there is a broad range of children who don't fit into larger categories and for some families it causes panic and for some, it's not a problem at all."
This is what I've been saying all along for the most part. So to those who believe gender roles are entirely cultural, where does social construction come from? It has to be either inspired by nature or created to fulfill some sort of natural need to some extent. Where else would it come from in the first place?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:22 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
I think this is mere curiosity and it's not gonna make the kid turn gay. I'm not sure about where being a tranny comes from, but homosexuality is genetic.

Referring to commercial and the planning of the commercial.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:24 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Referring to commercial and the planning of the commercial.
In that case yes every little thing they do is calculated. It's creepy how much attention they pay to little details. I learned a lot about that in my critical thinking course.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:47 pm

As a Brit, I never hear J. Crew before now. So am doing a bit research into the company.
I may need to ask you yanks questions, I am going to come from this from a business angle.
In my research I pick up something, so I'll get back to my research before commenting.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:51 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:

Quote:

This is what I've been saying all along for the most part. So to those who believe gender roles are entirely cultural, where does social construction come from? It has to be either inspired by nature or created to fulfill some sort of natural need to some extent. Where else would it come from in the first place?

:lol: Purple is a color of royalty yet it is hardly masculine. Good point on genetics
I have a friend who is a real ladies man, and he often wears this hot pink shirt that says "Tough Guys Wear Pink"
I think this whole issue is rather droll :lol:

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Quote:

:lol: Purple is a color of royalty yet it is hardly masculine. Good point on genetics
I have a friend who is a real ladies man, and he often wears this hot pink shirt that says "Tough Guys Wear Pink"
I think this whole issue is rather droll :lol:

I agree, I hear of research in the psychological use of colour, pink is claimed to be calming. Some US prisons used pink & found that after change wall colourings that the inmates were more calmer.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

J. Crew reported a 14% loss in sales in the 3/4 of last year. Back in Nov. they were involved in a leveraged buyout.
Am just wondering if any one had picked on any other changes in J. Crew between Nov. to now?

As my what I know so far I get the impression that they used this ad as a PR stunt to help improve there sales.