The Addams Family & Addams Family Values

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:28 am

Does anyone else but me just absolutely love these movies? I can't tell you how many times I've watched them whenever I get the chance since the day I was born, and I still find them highly entertaining!

For those who don't know, it's about a creepy yet funny goth family that lives in a spooky old mansion. You have Gomez the Dad, Morticia the Mom, Wednesday the daughter, Pugsly the son, Uncle Fester, Grandmama, Cousin It, Lurch the Butler, and their pet Thing (who's a severed hand that runs around on it's own free will!). The family is extremly weird and obsessed with things like death and darkness, but they're a very close family that loves each other dearly and every now and then some not-so-nice person comes along who tries to destroy their family and get their money, like a couple of con artists in the first film or a Black Widow Murderer who marries Fester in the second film.

There's also a TV show that came out long before these movies during the 1960's, and it's probably the most well-known example of this franchise. However I perfer the movies more because the jokes are more witty and zany.

I own Addams Family Values on DVD and since I have a birthday coming up I hope I can talk my Mom into buying me the first film The Addams Family, that way I'll have a complete set. I don't count The Addams Family Reunion because it pales in comparison to the first two films (plus it was made with an entirely new cast that didn't work as well as the first cast).

Anyways I think a lot of people here would really love these movies! :D

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2011, 10:50 am

Are you scared of Michael Jackson too? ;D

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:54 am

Are you talking about that scene where Joel looked at the Michael Jackson "Heal the World!" poster? Yeah that was pretty funny. :lol:

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2011, 11:16 am

Yup. I never understood that scene as a kid. It would distract me for a good moment after it.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

I love Addams family! The movies and the show. My brother used to call me Wednesday or Morticia because as a teenager I was all into death and darkness and most of my clothes were black. I also had long dark hair and looked rather pale :D

Jordan83
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2011, 11:31 am

Love the Addams Family. There's also cartoons they made. They also came out with anew series around '96 or '97. It didn't last very long. It wasn't as good.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:49 am

Yeah I remember when they came out with the new TV series in the 90's that was shortly cancelled. I think it featured most of the cast from The Addams Family Reunion which is probably why it wasn't very popular. That film really wasn't as good as the first two films because it didn't have the actors who made the characters so awesome like Angelica Huston and Raul Julia (who sadly died).

My favorite character has always been Wednesday. She's just so adorably cynical and psychotic and she's given all the best lines in the films. My most favorite scene was when she played Pocahontas in a Thanksgiving Play and turned the play around from "Pilgrims and Indians sharing a turkey with brotherhood" to "We cannot trust you because you have stolen our land!" and she convinces all the kids dressed like Native Americans to set the stage on fire and attack all the kids dressed like pilgrims. I think fans will agree with me that it's the perfect example of just how twisted Wednesday can be. :P

Also even though she's a villain, I liked Debbie from Addams Family Values (aka "The Black Widow"). The actress who potrayed her did such a perfect job and she put so much energy into the character. The thing I noticed about her was how even though she was supposed to be the bad guy, she fits in the family so well because she's just as crazy and evil as they are. :lol:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 8:58 am

I've got both of them! :D

Wednesday: "Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 2:47 am

I have both the movies. I think they are OK but I enjoy the '60s TV show a lot more. In my opinion, I feel that Carolyn Jones was the perfect Morticia and John Astin was the perfect Gomez.

Sorry to disagree with you on your preferences, but if it's any consolation, the majority of people tend to disagree with me when I say that I prefer the 2005 Willy Wonka over the old one, or the 2010 Alice in Wonderland over the animated one, or sometimes even the movie version of Sweeney Todd over the stage one.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 10:06 am

There's no need to be sorry, we all have our own opinions. :wink:

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2011, 1:48 am

I love the very notion of the Addams Family in all of the manifestations I've seen. Never got into The Munsters though.

Just loved how grandma was cooking dinner and her cook book was 'Grey's Anatomy'.

I share housed in a Gothic household for seven years, til just before I got married about eight and a half years ago.

Darren

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 1:21 pm

My parents had remembered the old Adams Family TV show as well as the newspaper comics it was based on, and my Dad had told me he thought Adam Family Values was more keeping with the original source material. That didn't surprise me, as the screenplay writer had been the curator of an art display of the original comics.
I agree with my late father - I think the sequel was the superior, and funnier movie.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

dragoste-este-mort
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2011, 7:23 am

hahahha i love those movies.. i want to live in there house! X3

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 2:46 pm

dragoste-este-mort wrote:
hahahha i love those movies.. i want to live in there house! X3

I would like to visit it!

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I've got both of them! :D

Wednesday: "Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"

Haha, that is just about my favorite exchange in any movie, ever!