Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 7:43 pm

http://www.aaiwalk.org/

What do you think? Do they seem like a legit group to support or does their agenda seem more in tune with Autism Speaks? I'm not good with figuring this out like most others on WP. I ask because I may probably want to go to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch this weekend and if I show them the online flyer the AAI gave me 10% of my bill will be donated to them. I havent gotten around to attending any of their meetings and dont feel comfortable doing so as it seems like a group for mostly parents of autistic kids.

Just wondering.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 8:00 pm

Yes.

They sound promising, they talk about the needs of autistic people and helping them to participate in society without 'fear or bias or loss of individuality' and talk about both advancement in research and in awareness. Their description of autism sounds like they may support the idea of autism possibly resulting from something other than genetics, but that's not necessarily bad. They don't seem to be pro-cure, or particularly anti-cure either, so politics wise they're okay.

From the looks of it the money is going directly to families of autistic kids and local businesses that help support those families.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Last edited by Bloodheart on 13 Apr 2011, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Our mission is to increase and broaden public knowledge and awareness of the behaviors, social issues and emotional needs of individuals on the autism spectrum so that all individuals can participate in and contribute to our community without fear or bias or loss of individuality.

Sounds fine to me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:46 pm

They seem fine, so far.

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 4:43 pm

AAI wrote:
Answers for Autism is an all volunteer organization founded by parents of children with autism.

Notice that it says, "founded by PARENTS of children with autism" It is led by NT's, not us. I wouldnt support it, but its your choice.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:07 pm

I wasn't able to go to the function anyway. I'm still on their email list. I might consider going to a meeting sometime depending on if I can fit it in my schedule.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:18 pm

Kimmy wrote:
AAI wrote:
Answers for Autism is an all volunteer organization founded by parents of children with autism.

Notice that it says, "founded by PARENTS of children with autism" It is led by NT's, not us. I wouldnt support it, but its your choice.

Just because something is founded by NTs, doesn't mean it's bad.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

Listen to the 2010 Answers for Autism Walk Video. The links at the bottom of any page on the site. It's a slide show with a song playing. Wonderful, beautiful song. And I mean in particular the sentiments. I wish it identified the song.

I'm impressed with what I see on the website.

Answers, not a cure. I like that.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 3:42 am

And, just because someone has an aspie child doesn't mean they're normal.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:12 am

Some folks are just to extreme. If you want to hate someone or simply dislike them because they may be an N.T I believe that's self-destructive. What to me is an ethical responsibility is working together. Those that simply create adversity over such things seem to be counter productive to potential advancements. The future I can best assume with the no N.T's allowed agenda is despondency and conflict that is just not needed.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com