Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 5:53 am

The way I see it, people buy and sell on eBay. Most people use a 'service' called PayPal. So you have a buyer, a seller and eBay in the middle and this PayPal group... therefore I don't see why there is a need for a middle man, just doesn't make sense unless you consider that not everyone has or can pay by credit card.

PayPal is like a bank, but, if you are a new customer in selling, (and you are not told this from the outset), the money your customers pay you will be held for 21 days, and the account reviewed every 35 days, like you are some kind of baby that can't be trusted.

And when you are finally allowed to withdraw your money, it takes 3 days for them to process it and another 4-5 days for it to show in your bank.

So basically it's sell now, get paid a month later. I've sent email after email of complaint and now have a notice on my sells explaining that debit/credit card payment is how I want to be paid. I told them while I might have to use their 'service', I don't like them and I'll give them as much bad publicity on the web as I can.

I hate conglomerates and I hate capitalism even more.

Last edited by squonk on 14 Apr 2011, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 5:57 am

I think it's a security measure...but yeah they seem to do some stupid things....

They took my account off randomly so I had to re-enter it again....they can be daft sometimes although I've never sold anything online.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 6:00 am

Starlight-Supernova wrote:
I think it's a security measure...but yeah they seem to do some stupid things....

They took my account off randomly so I had to re-enter it again....they can be daft sometimes although I've never sold anything online.

Like when I went to the bank and they could see that PayPal were still trying to verify an account that had already been verified...

Amazon are another one, though I'm happy buying there, last Christmas they decided to 'upgrade' my account without any authorization from me to a premier account and imagine how we felt when we got back after Xmas shopping to start wondering where the $50 had gone to... they replaced it within a week but do you think we got any kind of apology?

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 6:02 am

squonk wrote:

Like when I went to the bank and they could see that PayPal were still trying to verify an account that had already been verified...

Amazon are another one, though I'm happy buying there, last Christmas they decided to 'upgrade' my account without any authorization from me to a premier account and imagine how we felt when we got back after Xmas shopping to start wondering where the $50 had gone to... they replaced it within a week but do you think we got any kind of apology?

Pretty much....I thought they were supposed to be good at this thing...having 200 million accounts an all...

I've no problems there yet but I have heard of that horror story....especially in America. Yeah, I hear Amazon never apologise about that sort of thing.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 6:08 am

squonk wrote:

Pretty much....I thought they were supposed to be good at this thing...having 200 million accounts an all...

I've no problems there yet but I have heard of that horror story....especially in America. Yeah, I hear Amazon never apologise about that sort of thing.

Why would they, they are only sorry squonk didn't let them keep his $50

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 6:12 am

Moog wrote:
Why would they, they are only sorry squonk didn't let them keep his $50

True. :lol:

Although it's not a laughing matter if they did that to him...

I think Microsoft's Customer Service Credit Card issue can be claimed as worse then PP.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 6:21 am

I've had some very frustrating experiences with Amazon, only good ones with PayPal and I'm glad they are accepted now on so many sites. I don't have to give my credit card details, something I really dislike doing. If anything happens with an order I paid for with PayPal - lost in the post, damaged etc - I get a full refund. I do most of my shopping online so I'm very happy with them.

Also why does it take so long for the money to get into your account? I live abroad and always use PayPal to send money for my sister's birthday so she can get herself whatever she wants. If she pays for it through PayPal she can use the money the moment I make the transfer. Else it takes 3 days to move them into her bank account.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 6:32 am

I use Paypal. It's also a nice tool if someone wants to pay you or what have you. I use it mostly for games, or if I'm purchasing tea.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:20 am

As a seller, I have had bad experiences with both eBay and PayPal and no longer use either one.

Paypal is like a bank is that they will accept your money and act as a middle man to distribute it to people you'd like to give it to, but it is nothing like a bank otherwise and is not subjected to any laws that govern banks. They can do whatever they like with your money with little to no recourse from you.

After I quit eBay, I kept my Paypal open because it was attached to my son's student account... which Paypal had been very good about. Our local bank just improved their student account product that exceeds what Paypal offers, and is governed by all the banking laws, so we just transferred his money to his new account and stopped Paypal altogether.

eBay was tolerable as a venue for selling until a buyer screwed me by reporting that an item was different than described in the auction. It was exactly as described in the auction and priced to reflect condition. eBay didn't even bother to look at the claim before they awarded a full refund, plus shipping, to the buyer without any requirement that the item be returned, and they took the money from my Paypal before I even received the email with their decision! The crook stole my antique item and money with eBay's full cooperation.

There's a lot of places to buy and sell on the internet now and I have a debit card that can pay for my purchases. I don't need eBay or Paypal.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:45 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
I don't have to give my credit card details, something I really dislike doing. If anything happens with an order I paid for with PayPal - lost in the post, damaged etc - I get a full refund.

I do understand that and I think it's a good point.

Sallamandrina wrote:
Also why does it take so long for the money to get into your account?

Think it's because I'm new even though I have very good feedback on eBay - generally though this is true from the time you withdraw funds from PayPal to the time it actually is real in your bank is over 7 days. I feel a lot calmer now and it is interesting to read other people's experiences and opinions on this.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

wefunction wrote:
As a seller, I have had bad experiences with both eBay and PayPal and no longer use either one.

Paypal is like a bank is that they will accept your money and act as a middle man to distribute it to people you'd like to give it to, but it is nothing like a bank otherwise and is not subjected to any laws that govern banks. They can do whatever they like with your money with little to no recourse from you.

After I quit eBay, I kept my Paypal open because it was attached to my son's student account... which Paypal had been very good about. Our local bank just improved their student account product that exceeds what Paypal offers, and is governed by all the banking laws, so we just transferred his money to his new account and stopped Paypal altogether.

eBay was tolerable as a venue for selling until a buyer screwed me by reporting that an item was different than described in the auction. It was exactly as described in the auction and priced to reflect condition. eBay didn't even bother to look at the claim before they awarded a full refund, plus shipping, to the buyer without any requirement that the item be returned, and they took the money from my Paypal before I even received the email with their decision! The crook stole my antique item and money with eBay's full cooperation.

There's a lot of places to buy and sell on the internet now and I have a debit card that can pay for my purchases. I don't need eBay or Paypal.

Well, you should have reported that PayPal and ebay took the money out without permission and you should of reported the buyer to the police...so they know you are serious that you have been frauded...the banks would help you with this sort of thing as it's in your best interest (and theirs).

As for banks, they can only screw you over if you didn't read their contracts...otherwise you can complain about that too.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 1:46 pm

wefunction wrote:

Well, you should have reported that PayPal and ebay took the money out without permission and you should of reported the buyer to the police...so they know you are serious that you have been frauded...the banks would help you with this sort of thing as it's in your best interest (and theirs).

As for banks, they can only screw you over if you didn't read their contracts...otherwise you can complain about that too.

I don't understand this response. What banks would help me?! No bank was involved. Why are you telling me about bank contracts? I never complained about an actual bank. Who am I going to complain about eBay and Paypal to? They acted the way they are obliged to act and I agreed to it in the Terms of Service. They can help someone steal my money. I don't even have an appeal process. eBay "customer service" is impossible.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

PayPal is an online escrow service, which utilises computers which are ultimately compromisable. You'd be better off paying for your online purchases via Western Union or other secure money order and using secure post such as Registered Mail, or Western Union. Sure you can still get ripped off, but if that happens you're only out the $$$ you sent via Money Order, rather than having your Bank/Credit account compromised.