Page 22 of 23 [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

sealion wrote:
If your vegan where are your going to get your protein? You need proper ratios of protein, carbs and fat. I don't think soy is a healthy protein. People that eat vegan are very passionate that it is the healthiest diet. I beg to differ.

I've only been vegan for a short while now, but I get plenty of protein, and not just through soy. I am not a huge fan of fake meat products, though I do occasionally eat veggie burgers and tofu. Mostly my protein comes from lentils, beans, other legumes, etc. To make it complete, I eat it with a grain like rice or barley. The majority of vegans eat healthier diets than the majority of omnivores. I am not saying that omnivores cannot be healthy, but the previous statement still remains true. Lentils with rice, for example, is a complete protein and very good for you. It doesn't even have to be eaten in one sitting just as long as both are consumed the same day. Today I had mini pitas with a lot of hummus for lunch. I get more protein now that I am limited in my food choices than I did when I ate meat. I make far better choices now that I must think about what is in my food.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

The reason I'm not vegan is very simple. I enjoy eating meat. I understand enough about human physiology to understand that to maintain proper health, my body requires both meats and vegetables in proportion.(and no, I will not take "supplements." There's no way that a pill made from compressed dirt can replicate the nutritional value of fresh, high quality meat) Most importantly, I refuse to be emotionally blackmailed into a decision I don't support. Yes, it's sad that cows and pigs live like they do, but they're also delicious. And that's all I care about.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:14 am

I am a passive vegan. I will gladly eat vegetables, and prefer it.

But when presented with meat, I will eat it without any complaint.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:56 am

im not vegan because i beleive we need the meats we eat to keep us healthy

i am against cruelty to 'slaughter' animals though! animals need a fulfilling life

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:02 am

I am not. It requires so much effort to be a vegan. I don't think I'm capable of keeping up with that. I do agree that animals shouldn't have to suffer in any way, though.

I hear that true vegans don't even wear any animal-related clothes (silk etc). They don't use anything that involved animal sacrifice/suffering. Honey is considered to be a product of bee exploitation. I also hear that even eating certain plant parts is considered to be wrong because that's against the welfare of the plant. There are just too many restrictions and I wouldn't be able to conform to all of them.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 7:45 am

I'm still not vegan, nor will I ever be.

However, I dislike the cruelty delivered to the animals in factory farms, and hope to one day eliminate most of that in my diet.

Thus, I hope to take up hunting.

Animals (especially deer) living in the wild, unconfined, and a way to destroy them quickly. You'll know how they died, there isn't any 'grain fed' issues going on, and it helps the others by preventing overpopulation.

To those who say, "Well it's causing the deer to suffer." It isn't. We cause more suffering by having eliminating their predators, allowing their populations to explode, and then watching as half of them die to starvation and disease because there isn't enough food for too many animals.

And veganism isn't practical. We just aren't meant to subsist entirely on vegetables. Otherwise we'd have a far longer intestine and a large cecum, both things essential to digest plants if you aren't a ruminant.

As for comparing pigs to humans a way back, we are almost about the same in too many ways. So much so, that scientists were even thinking about eventually using pigs as organ donors, because even a few of their organs were more similar to ours then the chimpanzee! (I don't know if they still are, it's the fear of swine disease making the jump into humans that stop them.) But it doesn't mean that they are a totally valid comparison, as pigs and humans have totally different lifestyles. Do pigs eat more meat then people? Or is it the reverse? I don't know.

I think this argument over who is more 'right' is just going to go in circles. Nobody's right, because each side still has some detractor at it's base. Meat being full of growth hormones and vegetarian 'cheese' being a processed slab of chemicals.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:24 am

1. I like meat far too much, so I couldn;t be a vegetarian, let alone a vegan.
2. I also like to have milk in my tea.
3. Butter on my toast.
4. I suoopse eggs and cheese are alright.
5. I'm a growing girl! I need the nurtients from these things!!

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 12:50 pm

I'm not vegan simply because I prefer meat over vegetables...although I will eat vegetables with steak or pork or any other meat. :)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

Because I don't want to be. As much as I dislike the idea of animals being hurt so we can eat them, I also understand the food chain and it doesn't bother me to eat them. I have heard people say that I wouldn't eat meat if I had to kill or clean it. That's not true. At all.

Also there are several other reasons. I need meat or animal products in most of the dishes I cook. I love vegetables and in the summertime we have vegetable plates several times a week for supper. However, to cook many of the vegetables I need meat. Any type of peas, beans or greens are boiled with meat. Corn and okra are boiled with butter. Squash is fried in butter. Some things are fried in bacon grease. I cannot cook vegetables that taste good without animal products.

Also, I use a lot of cheese. We eat a lot of pasta and therefore I need a good bit of cheese. Every pasta dish I make is either baked with cheese or has cheese to add to it when served. I also keep a dish of butter with roasted garlic on the table to go with the bread that I make every other day.

My kids drink a lot of milk and I use milk in many other things I cook, especially baking. Also eggs. Things cooked with fake milk, eggs and margarine are just not as good. You can tell the difference once you are used to the real thing. While I do not like to drink regular milk, I do like ice cream and fake ice cream isn't good either. However, I really like vanilla soy milk. I like it on granola, but I'm the only one who likes it so I never buy it.

I guess I'm not vegan because I don't think food tastes as good without animal products. I also consider human beings to be more important than animals, which is why we can eat them.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 1:00 pm

I like meat.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 5:05 pm

Eventually my sister and I will be vegans, but not until one of these two happen.

1.} Our mother lets go of her skepticism over vegetarianism/veganism.

2.} Prices for vegetarian/vegan foods go down.

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 5:13 pm

I like the taste of some cooked meats, milk and many varieties of cheese.
If I were to become a vegan, I would not be allowed to consume these foods. :D

Draka
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2013, 9:33 pm

I'm a vegetarian. I'm not a vegan because I'm fond of dairy products, and the acquisition of milk does not involve killing the provider. Though I try to get organic dairy products to avoid animal cruelty and weird chemicals/hormones.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 2:57 pm

I think being vegan makes no sense if it's because of animal death or cruelty because animals don't have to die or even be treated badly to get milk and eggs. I have a friend who unfortunately doesn't live near me that has a bunch of pet chickens and more fresh and cruelty free eggs than she knows what to do with.

I like the way meat tastes and won't stop eating it. I also don't like many of the things vegans need to eat to have a balanced diet. One example is that I hate nearly all beans. I also don't have any income and don't buy the groceries in my house so if I tried to not eat any animal products I'd probably starve.

From what I've read if you really want to be cruelty free the purest way is to be a fruitarian. I don't know how you can get a balanced diet that way though.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 4:11 pm

I don't do most of the cooking in my house, I hate beans and I like cheese.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 7:38 am

I am semi vegetarian & eat meat or chicken a few times per week. Often I eat vegetarian for dinner.