Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2011, 6:55 pm

I am male and 17 with SD/AS and I don't know why but a lot of people in my school always try to correct the work that I am doing. It is usually the other students that try to help me and I get really bothered by this. I could be half way done with something and someone would come up to me and tell me "You're not doing this right" or "Oh my god dude, this is not how you do this here let me show you" and the whole time I feel like an idiot when people try to help me and it is really frustrating. I also when I want to do something one way and everyone is doing the project the other way they will ask me what am I doing and they will try to help me with the project that I am doing even when I think my way is better. I also got some problems with worksheets and other assignments. Like I could be working on a assignment and someone will offer me help and when I say yes and they look at my work they have the reaction like the world just ended. And I also get the face palm reaction for doing the project done because sometimes I would think I know what I am doing and when someone helps me they will look at it and go "DUDE!! ! This is not how you do this!!" and I don't know why this year I have been having a hard time with the directions lately. I also seem to space out a lot in my head and I wonder if that could be why the other people think I am dumb or something. But I would like to know how do I not screw up so much? Am I the only one like this?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 9:08 pm

One thing you might do is confirm the directions with the instructor, and check in with the instructor to confirm you are doing things properly after you get started on the project.

scratty
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2011, 3:58 am

*sigh* Yes, people are always correcting me and I hate feeling stupid because I know I'm not. Or, the opposite, I ask questions and people think I'm too smart to not know the answer and then get angry with me. It's a constant struggle. Your not dumb, just flying on a different wavelength is all. You know how you do things and that's all you need.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 7:51 pm

I understand where you're coming from. I tend to make mistakes in my day to day affairs, but I often catch them. When other people swoop in and prevent me from making mistakes, they're preventing me from learning from them as well, and they're destroying my sense of self reliance. The cherry on top is the part where people who are as wrong as you are step up to correct you.

I've become good at saying the following line "Hey, I appreciate what you're trying to do for me, but how do you expect me to learn anything if you do all the work?"