Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 12:53 am

i am going to a psychologist because i began to fail school and get depressed. i am so worried that i can't sleep. its 1 in the morning right now. and i really don't know what to expect. i am a little worried cuz i have seen a lot of horror stories about doctors. at least i have aspie parents who can support me. anyway post advice cuz im confuseled. i will answer weird cuz i haven't slept for last 3 days or so.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:00 am

Well, the therapist is probably going to set the tone of the first meeting. Just be honest and answer in the best detail possible. They can't help you with what they don't know, and if you give them misleading information they will inadvertently give you misleading advice.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:18 am

The first few sessions will be a lot of questions. Just be as detailed and honest as possible.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2011, 4:51 am

On my first vist I wrote a list of the things I have problems with, that worry me and what I would like help with.

Made me feel much more in control and relaxed.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 12:17 pm

aspie48 wrote:
i am going to a psychologist because i began to fail school and get depressed. i am so worried that i can't sleep. its 1 in the morning right now. and i really don't know what to expect. i am a little worried cuz i have seen a lot of horror stories about doctors. at least i have aspie parents who can support me. anyway post advice cuz im confuseled. i will answer weird cuz i haven't slept for last 3 days or so.

It's not as bad as you think. If you are just going there to help with the depression and things like that, the psychologists will just help you talk and get things off your chest. I reluctantly started seeing a psychologist at school, and I am so glad that I did! Luckily they are not doctors in the sense of MDs (most of the horro stories I hear come from the psychiatrist end, but they seem more focused on your medical well being than your emotional well being). Psychologists will just try to help you shake off some of the depression so you can concentrate more in your life/school. Don't worry about what to say because the psychologists usually initiate the conversations--they'll ask the questions, and if they know you have AS, they'll understand if your answers might be a bit awkward or your tone of speech, etc. It is nothing to worry about. If you find a psych clearly insensitive to your AS needs, then find another one (the good ones, in my experience, or more plentiful than the bad ones!)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 2:30 pm

I hope that things go well for you.