Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 9:38 am

I thought I'd start a thread to see if everyone else has this experience the way I do. I seem to make an arse out of myself on at least a weekly basis, quite unwittingly.

This week I was amongst a group of mothers at something I attend for my child and someone mentioned it was the 14th of April. I blurted out "Oh my anniversary," which I likely should not have blurted out, but it just so happened that I thought aloud. Another woman asked for what and I said, "Oh it's just the anniversary of when I got my period. In two years it will be 30 years, that's amazing to me." It was like I said I'd just shat in my pants. You could have heard a pin drop. One woman actually blushed. We mustn't discuss periods in mixed company, even if it is a group of women, obviously.

8O

Do you make these social faux pas that leave you clueless as to what the issue is? I'll be back next week with a new one I guarantee....

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 11:42 am

Yeah, I make an idiot out of myself somewhat regularly, too. I can see the words leaving my mouth and cannot grab them and shove them back in. I just watch in horror as people react to what I said. :oops:

For what it's worth, what you said wouldn't have shocked me. I probably would've shared something in kind, if only to reassure you that it was okay. I would also tell you that I'm amazed you remember the exact day. I remember how old I was but I don't remember which day or month it was... which is funny because my mother made me track it all out on my calendar with little red dots so I'd know when to expect it. You'd think I'd have a memory of the month, at least, since I was forced to focus on the date at the time. Of course, I've never had regular periods so all that work did me no good.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:53 am

I hear you. I was once talking with some female friends...we were discussing men and sex so I figured it was okay to talk about masturbation. I asked if it was normal to orgasm quickly. The way they reacted, you would have thought I'd taken down my pants and crapped on the floor.

Apparently it was fine to talk about the mechanics of sex and whether you're likely to bleed your first time and what kind of activities are likely to pull apart the hymen naturally...but talking about masturbation is grossly inappropriate. Go figure. I'll never understand.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:54 am

wefunction wrote:
For what it's worth, what you said wouldn't have shocked me. I probably would've shared something in kind, if only to reassure you that it was okay. I would also tell you that I'm amazed you remember the exact day.

Me neither. I see nothing wrong with talking about a normal body function. I openly talk about brain function, blood sugar etc. with people, why not periods?

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2011, 3:47 pm

I don't see what you did wrong either. If you were around dudes or went into detail about the experience, it could be seen as inappropriate, but all you did was bring up the date. Maybe you were just around some prudes?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 12:01 am

azureyoshi wrote:
I don't see what you did wrong either. If you were around dudes or went into detail about the experience, it could be seen as inappropriate, but all you did was bring up the date. Maybe you were just around some prudes?

I really don't get it either.

I can't decide which of my social blunders this week to post here! I looked at one person while speaking to someone else for a good few minutes. I just forgot to shift my gaze to the person I was speaking to. I've done this once before (and was called out on it and it was really embarrassing). You'd think I'd be more aware of it in the future but I was so tired this past Friday when I did it that I forgot. I have another one that actually involved hurting someones feelings but it would require tool lengthy a description and I have to go to bed now. Anyways the point it........you're not alone , OP

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm

I'm doing this all the time I don't keep myself in strict check. Unfortuantly, keeping myself in this kind of tight place doesn't allow me to get anything out of any given interaction so I am attempting to forge new friendships with more depth with ppl I consider to be safe. Ppl who will accept me for what I am, then be more "acceptable" with accquaintances and everyone else.

This past week I had been having several exchanges with one close woman friend I have, as it has been 1 wk today my divorce was final. She has been very loving of me and my children. Very supportive on the whole. However, as one who has also been divorced long ago and is been remarried for yrs, her insights were more of the "get over it" variety. She sees me and the children as better off for the split, in reality we are. However, I had no place to go with the sad and angry feelings I was trying to process and she is the safest place I have right now. I thought about this a lot, and as she really has stated over and over she wants to be here for me I decided to ask for what I need from her, compassion for my loss.

I was very tactful and full of gratitude for what she does give me, a kind of "tough love" in the situation, but I also let her know I needed more compassion. I asked her to think more in terms of how she'd feel if she lost her current husband rather than taking it in terms of what she'd already gotten over with her own ex. Little did I consider all the other current burdens of her life, she is raising several children of her own, one whom is still an infant up all night teething/ nursing. She also has multiple other responsibilies in business ect. I asked for what I needed, but didn't take into account how this might make her feel with everything else in her life.

The result? She apologized and admitted she felt pulled so many directions right now and didn't feel she could fullfill any of the many places she is needed in. She herself was going through her own hard times, and it seemed my plea for help kind of made her feel bad. So.... I don't know if I am to just keep going on the surface and not ask for what I really need in relationships or when to take it to the deeper level. I'm still trying to figure it out. Thankfully, this is a friend who will love me no matter what. That doesn't mean I don't continually stick my foot in my mouth when I let that strict "in check" thing down a bit.

OP, this is just the kind of thing that would/ has happened to me over the yrs! I thought if there are ads blaring on tv about feminnine protection then perhaps it fit into a conversation about cramps ect how much I love my cloth pads, for example. But, no, it gets the same response as others have said like you just deficated in their presence! I don't really always get it, I usually do after it is too late. Maybe someday I will figure it out before hand, sometimes I do! I am sure I have a blunder a week though, at least on the weeks I actually interact with others. I seem to make associations, like another pp, which seem to me to be in the same category of the conversation, to others they don't fit. My hope is to find at least a close friend or two who will accept me despite this. I'm working on it!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

Went on and on about school and my thesis at a family dinner and did not ask others questions about themselves to reciprocate 8O

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 10:32 pm

today the fire alarm went off at work. i already needed to use the washroom when it rang, and the sudden alarm reminded me of that fact.

i stood up like a shot and said to my cubicle neighbour, who was our floor's fire warden and was herding everyone out, "holy s**t that was scary. i almost pissed myself!"

he started to laugh like i was kidding around, and i said, "no, for real i almost peed my pants!"

he turned red and looked embarrassed.

now i am embarrassed. :oops:

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 6:47 am

There's a lesson in leaving well enough alone. Sometimes it's better to be misunderstood as joking.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 7:03 am

wefunction wrote:
There's a lesson in leaving well enough alone. Sometimes it's better to be misunderstood as joking.

yeah, but he knew i had misunderstood, and it would be nagging at me all day.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 8:05 am

I know that feeling LOL

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:26 am

I was doing a nursing workshop at the hospital doing basic OB's on patients. I was was 2 other male students who were actually st john volunteers and 2 RN's.

Me: I have to go to the toilet my cealiacs is playing up.
RN1: Ok take your time, and if you need to dash out, just make sure you tell us.
Me: Ok. I will be back in a few minutes.
(I come back a few minutes later).
Male student: What is cealiacs?
Me: I am allergic to gluten.
Male student2: What happens when you have it?
Me: I get huge bruises, hives, migraines, vomiting and excessive diarrhea.
Male student: Why did you leave just before?
Me: I didn't feel like sh*****g myself and vomiting all over myself at the same time.
Male student: Your f*****g gross! you know that!

:?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 7:56 am

They need some serious toughening up if talking about that simply grossed them out. WTF. They're going to get vomitted and shat on in that line of work! :roll:

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

I rent a room out of my friend's house and he often has people over. Most times I stay in my room, but I last weekend I was feeling a bit sociable. I sat downstairs with the group. One of the girls asked for a drink and my roommate replied, "Aw, I'm sorry. I'm out". Trying to make conversation I chime in with, "You'd think with all the people he invites over, he'd have more alcohol". Everyone got quiet. "Wow, Andie, thats pretty harsh," the girl said. I was mortified.

I'm still a little confused at how this was so offensive. I was just making an observation and I certainly didn't mean to be rude. I was later told that I was calling my roommate cheap...which was not my thought or intention at all! :(

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 2:44 am

I went to ask my son's teacher a question. She answered me and I said "Oh OK." and turned to start leaving. Had to stop and turn back once I realized she was still talking to me. She went on for another 3 minutes about stuff I already know and didn't have anything to say about. I was wondering why she wouldn't let me leave after I got my answer in 10 seconds. I ended up guessing her bra cup size. :D