Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Djn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2011, 10:53 am

Hi I wanted to offer moral support for anyone out there who gets nervous in social situations (which probably is most of us). I'm in a fraternal men's organization, I like it alot and I've made friends with people, though it took me a long time of hanging in there. Anyways, I'm going to a sort of convention at a hotel tonight and tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it and I feel good today. I'm not going to BS others Aspies, yesterday I felt like S_ _ T, in a way that only other aspies could understand. Last weekend I think I felt burned out too, but I feel rested today so I hope it goes well. But to everyone else, you know (and maybe you do) that you may have to ride out periods of anxiety in making friends, but hang in there, there are a lot of nice people out there!

Mark 8:36

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:42 pm

Hi I hope you have a good time tonight and tomorrow. What you say about making friends is very true. If I have a friend who is not very talkative alone or in a group I try to talk to that person more and see if they will open up after I show I am nice, friendly, and non judgmental. I feel this is good encouragement for some and wish I would receive more myself.

Djn

18 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

Hi,
Thanks, everything went really well. I think I felt good through Saturday and most of Sunday! I agree with you. Listening and trying not to be judgmental are good qualities to develop. I think when you have AS and you've found a lot of times that people blow you off, then you start to give others a chance more. I try to be more humble, I'm no saint though. If I mess up and don't give someone a fair shake, I try to pick myself up and treat them better the next time I see them. I'm always learning! Have a nice evening.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 11:16 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you with regard to your upcoming event. I'm taking a social break right now........I'm burnt out ................I think a lot of us need these. However I know there are some very good and kind people in the world................this is very true!

Djn

19 Apr 2011, 4:21 pm

I know what you mean about needing a break sometimes. It is a good feeling to do something good for others or to spend time with friends, but no matter how good there will always be a drain on my energy. Sometimes I've been past running on fumes, but there is the responsibility I owe to others. I had a busy fall and then at Christmas I felt burnt out and crashed.
By the way, Saturday and Sunday did go well, thanks for your wishes. :)

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 8:18 pm

When you feel Burnt out, there is no problem with just being by yourself for a while to cool off. Dont wear yourself down, but still have fun! :D

Djn

25 Apr 2011, 6:45 pm

Kimmy wrote:
When you feel Burnt out, there is no problem with just being by yourself for a while to cool off. Dont wear yourself down, but still have fun! :D

Thanks, that is good advice. Everyone once in awhile I like time to just read a book or relax and listen to music. Have a nice evening!

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 1:14 pm

Try not to push yourself too hard. I used to have tons of social anxiety too, but I let the friends I had at the time know about it. Know when you need a break, and don't be afraid to tell others that you need space sometimes. If they're true friends they'd be compassionate and understanding.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.