Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2006, 8:09 pm

I don't think that I am the only one here that has pet peeves . I recogize that these are really minor to most people but they bug the heck out of me.

1) reading a news paper that someone else has read first. I can't do this I will and have thrown a paper away that someone else has read and drive 5 miles to go get a "fresh"newspaper.I have tried to do it but I can't not won't but can't I get a paragraph or so then totally get disgusted and throw it away.
2) floor or desk fans that are of the "off-High-Medium-Low" varity they piss me off they should go "Off-low-medium-high" that away the fan doesnt speed up as I turn it from low to off.

I have several more like these but I am intrested in seeing if others have pet peaves that make them nuts(you try explaining why you can not red that newspaper that you have to have a new one )

So, are these tpyes of things common?

Last edited by itfits on 31 Jul 2006, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 8:39 pm

I’m personally very annoyed with the death of common courtesy. Many people seem to think it’s okay to interrupt me when I’m assisting another patron if they say, “excuse me.”

- Emerson

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 9:07 pm

OK, here's one of my really stupid pet peeves:
People who misspell a simple word like "peeves".

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 9:27 pm

Mine are mostly word related.

Alunium (aluminum or at least aluminium for our stiff uper lipped friends), for instance, makes me chew my teeth and so does nucular (nuclear).

"I lent him my car." NO! You don't "lent" something.

"That needs fixed" WRONG! That needs TO BE fixed.

I have many more, but I should start a separate thread about word usage peeves.

OH! ... and 'party' is not a verb!

:^)

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 10:13 pm

....When someone uses the word, "better" when they should've used "best" as in.."This is one of the better restaurants in the city."

....Television news stories filled with cliches such as "brutal murder", "keeping the faith", "heinous crime".

....Flat Coca Cola or whenever I buy a soda from a fast food place and they fill it with more ice than soda.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 10:20 pm

i dont know if this is a pet peeve or not but i dont watch the news because all they talk about is people dying, the mideast or politics, all of wich i care nothing about.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2006, 12:02 am

LOL...my father trained me that the newspaper had to go back in the same order it came in, (if you happened to pick it up before him)..and you didn't bend back the pages... 8O

My pet peeves....

1. FLUSH... I don't care if it saves water...that's just nasty.

2. My coffee cup is NOT community property.

3. All those wire twist ties they wire the toys to the boxes with now...do you really NEED 25 wire ties to secure a 7 inch action figure?

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2006, 7:54 pm

Mine are mostly sounds.

Like babies crying.

Or children making those spitting-explosion sounds while playing.

Or whispering.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2006, 8:14 pm

Well, I could go on all day about annoying sounds.

But besides those, people who say things like "We don't bite...much"

Yeah, people. It's not clever anymore. And really it only works if more people still say plain ol' "we don't bite."

Well, maybe that counts as sound. :P

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2006, 8:19 pm

But Beenthere, those wires are fun! You can make little models out of them. :)

It always used to irritate me to the point of painfulness when I heard someone eating, especially something cruncy such as biscuits or salad. It was made worse by the fact that my dad is a very noisy eater - when I was growing up I would be constantly telling him to eat more quietly, and my mum and brother would be constantly telling me to just ignore it. I never understood how they could possibly think you could 'just ignore' something like that (to me it was the equivalent of continually poking them with drawing pins and telling them to ignore it) - but now I've found out about noise sensitivity etc, and have been able to explain it to them, they're a bit more understanding. And my dad has learned to eat slightly more quietly. 8)

Although, for a while I had an office job in which a colleague had a desk positioned mere inches from mine. She used to bring salad into work every day, and would have lunch at her desk - I was then forced to time my break (and take it out of the office) at the exact same time she decided to eat lunch, or have to sit and be tortured for twenty minutes by crunching and slurping sounds. :?

And yes, people who have whispering conversations in front of you. What could possiby be so secret?

Oh, and my co-worker who asked if I had 'binded' before, when she needed me to use a binding machine. :roll:

-anomie-
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2006, 9:28 pm

Deleted

Last edited by -anomie- on 06 Aug 2006, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2006, 6:56 am

Screaming/crying children-the frequency they screech on is painful. and it bugs me when a child is shrieking not because they're in pain, but because they like to hear their own screech. And the mother ignores them and allows rthem to continue it.

Apostrophes in the wrong place-the more professional the sign/item, the more it p***es me off. I sasw a hen-night sash for sale in an accessories store reading "GIRL'S ON TOUR."
GRRRRR!

Julie

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2006, 2:37 pm

I was going to mention misplaced apostrophes, but forgot to. 'It's' versus 'its', for example. Also managing to get 'your' and 'you're' mixed up. They're the most common ones, but any type of typo is annoying.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 6:06 pm

Louise, chewing sounds annoy me too. I especially can't stand someone slurping milk from their cereal bowl. And salad eating is pretty bad, too. They are just sounds that make me want to turn into the Hulk and start smashing everything and everyone in sight.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 6:08 pm

My Pet Peve is not having any Chores to do. I rely on Chores to get me thinking about the people that I'm doing them for, so that I can keep my Mind off my problems.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 6:22 pm

Okay, I got a couple I know you're really gonna enjoy.

Household
Garbage
"Only"

How do the quotation marks change the meaning of the sign?

SPEED
LIMIT
ENFORCED

How does the word "enforced" change anything? (If anything, the speed limit at the landfill is less enforced than the speed limit on the road to the landfill, if at all.) Leon county, my soon to be former employer, should get their s**t together, so to speak.

- Emerson