Does anyone else hate the new Spongebob?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:44 am

I used to love Spongebob as a kid, and even today I still enjoy watching the old episodes from the first three seasons. But now... I just don't what the heck has happened to the show.

When the show Spongebob Squarepants first came on Nickelodeon it was about a cheery and optimistic yellow sea-sponge who had adorable quirky habbits like his love of jellyfishing, being enthusiastic about his job as a frycook, and being a terrible driver despite how desperately he wants to get his license. Spongebob was always doing his best to help his friends even though he got a little annoying sometimes (and I do mean a little). Also his friends were all interesting and had their own likable quirks like Patrick the lazy starfish who was his best friend, Squidward the grumpy squid who openly hated Spongebob but sometimes showed a softer side, Mr. Krabs his greedy boss, and Sandy the squirl from Texas who's a genius and expert at karate.

Now I want to point out how terrible this show has gotten lately. I don't know if it's because there's new people working on the show or because the creators are just fed up with Nick and ruining the show on purpose, but all these things I've seen in the new episodes tell me that something is seriously wrong.

For starters one of the most important things I've noticed is the change in Spongebob's character. They now try to potray Spongebob as just as big an idiot as Patrick. In the older episodes I never got the impression that Spongebob was stupid like his best friend, he just got a little annoying unintentionally sometimes which was usually due to his niavity and eagerness to help others. Far from being stupid, I always thought of Spongebob as having insight when it came to each character. He saw the good in everybody, even someone as cynical as Squidward or as greedy as Mr. Krabs. He was also good at giving advice for problems and was usually always right about them, and he just genuinely wanted to make everybody happy. Now like I said, Spongebob is just as big an idiot as Patrick and rather than being innocently annoying, he now seems to be intentionally annoying as he tries his damnest to ruin every character's life on the show even when they make it clear they don't want him to. It kind if reminds me of the character Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, a character who like the new Spongebob is so happy and carefree that he's completely manical and causes all kinds of destruction and misery for those around him without even caring about the consequences or that he's hurt people he claims to love. That is NOT the way Spongebob was in the original episodes, I can tell you that much!

There's also the fact that the show no longer has it's underwater charm. In the beginning of the show everything was made out to let you know it took place under the ocean. Buildings and Houses were inside objects from the dry land that had fallen into the water, things like shells, bamboo, and fish hooks were used as tools and building material, boats were used as cars, and all the pets and animals were sea creatures like snails were cats, worms were dogs, scallops were birds, jellyfish were bees, etc. But now we have normal human houses like on dry land, normal-shaped buildings made of brick, trees instead of underwater plants, actual birds instead of scallops, and all kinds of stuff that leads me to believe that the creators have forgotten the show is supposed to be set under water.

And there's also the gross-out humor, which I don't think anyone really likes anymore. These days the show's idea of "funny" is things like seeing Patrick drop a donut in a toilet and then sharing half of it with Spongebob, or seeing Spongebob drop a coutch on Squidward's toe and rip his entire toenail off for the viewers to see. Who really comes up with this and thinks it's funny? I'm know the old episodes had their share of gross-out humor too, but it was never the main focus of the show like it is now. What made the original episodes funny was Spongebob's genuine goofiness like pointing out that he was a sponge by shape shifting, absorbing his own tears, or bodybuilding using stuffed toys as weights because he can't lift anything heavy.

And last but not least, there's the fact that just about every episode is now about Plankton stealing the Krabby Patty secret formula. That's literally what the show is all about now, because they can't come up with any new ideas. The first few seasons featured Spongebob on all kinds of adventures that didn't relate to his job at the Krusty Krab, but now everything is about him working there and trying to stop Plankton who in my opinion deserves the recipe more than Krabs, because lately Krabs has been painted out to be a complete selfish jerk and it makes you wonder why Spongebob idolizes him so much.

I know what a lot of you are going to say, this is an old cartoon and it's getting close to the end of it's lifespan which is to be expected. I guess it's a general rule that every successful TV show that lasts a long time will start to suck during it's last seasons before it gets cancelled. I guess Spongebob should have been put out oif his misery a long time ago, but Nickelodeon is keeping him around because there's really nothing else as good on their channel anymore. I mean they got rid of all the great cartoons and TV shows like The Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? and none of their new shows have been as big a hit, except for Avatar: The Last Airbender (which only seems to show on Nick Toons now).

I personally think Nickelodeon should do like Cartoon Network is doing now and bring back reruns of their old cartoons. They were better and more enjoyable, and I'm sure that even though they're considered old cartoons that the kids of this generation would enjoy them greatly.

That's just my opinion though.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:45 pm

Yeah, the old shows were awesome. I'm surprised Spongebob is still on the air! They should bring back the Angry Beavers. XD

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:54 pm

Yes, I hate the new seasons of Spongebob. It has gotten really gross and...a bit disturbing. There is one episode that I can't even look at. Spongebob drops a couch on squidwards foot and rips out the toenail....freaks me right the hell out. Is there a new writer or something? The show has gotten weird. I will admit, that I am liking a lot of the subtle jokes that they are throwing in there, but all of this excessive grossness and...normally I like violence, but it's just getting out of hand on the show.

And yeah, bring back The Angry Beavers! Daggit and Norb for the win!! !

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

^ I know exactly what you're talking about, that scene where Squidward's toe gets ripped off by Spongebob and we actually see the vain-like thing at the end. That was just too gross and makes you wonder how the writers got away with that seeing how Spongebob Squarepants is supposed to be a kid's show.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear they're either trying to copy The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy or one of the writers from that show is now in charge of Spongebob. I mean now Spongebob is basically like Billy and Squidward is basically like a combination of Mandy and Grim, with Spongebob being the manical destructive idiot and Squidward being the cynic who's hatred of everyone is justified.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:21 pm

I miss the sweet, naive sponge we all fell in love with. I saw that Band Geeks episode a day or so ago, and it really brought back memories of the good old show. As much as I LOVED Billy and Mandy, Spongebob should be Spongebob.

And I cannot STAND the new spin they put on Sandy. She's like 50x more annoying and I can't really tell the reason why.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 3:17 pm

I can't watch Spongebob on TV anymore since my Dad got rid of the kid's channels :cry:, but from what year would you consider the show as "the new ones"? I watched it from it's 2005 return (after the movie) until 2008, I reckon, but anyways, I absolutely loved it! The one where they get launched into medieval times was one of my favorite episodes ever.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm

I've never even noticed a change in spongebob, I enjoy watching all the series. Although the krabby patty formula plot gets a bit repetitive.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 3:26 pm

I guess I would say that it was a few years after the movie was released that the show started going downhill, so I guess maybe around 2008 or so? I just know I stopped watching the new episodes shortly before I moved to Florida, and every now and then I'll check out the newer episodes that keep coming up and they just keep getting worse and worse. It's nothing like the show I remember as a kid. The older episodes are still great, but the new ones just disgust me.

resfirestar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2011, 6:48 pm

I kind of tl;dr'd OP's rant since I'm trying to multitask, but let's just say I agree with it. Spongebob used to be fun for everyone, now it's just for kids who have a taste for gross humor. I remember being able to recite every episode with my little brother and my friend Azrah, and I can still remember every line if one of the old episodes start. My favorite episodes will always be "Band Geeks", "Squilliam Returns", and "No Weenies Allowed".

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

It's not just the gross-out humor that plagues the show now, it's the cynicism too. Spongebob no longer wants to be the optimistic friendly sea-sponge, and instead would rather annoy everybody and cause destruction by being a complete fuktard (pardon my speech). Every character now hates him instead of it being just Squidward, and even Patrick who's supposed to be his best friend now acts like a jerk to Spongebob. In fact I'm starting to get the feeling the show is no longer about Spongebob, but rather Squidward because he's now potrayed as the only "sane" character who's justified in hating everyone rather than just being a grumpy grouch.

I think this sudden change of the show going from optimistic to cynical reflects the person who's writing these episodes.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

From what I understand, Spongebob was supposed to end with the (first) movie, but the network executives wanted it to keep going because Spongebob was raking in a lot of viewers and cash. I admit that I haven't seen many of the episodes from season 4+, but I did see one that seriously made me go WTF: "Squidward in Clarinetland". I felt excited when I saw the title card, expecting it to be an underwater parody of Alice in Wonderland. What I saw instead was something so bizarre and nonsensical, it looked like Squidward was having a bad acid trip and bordered on Nightmare Fuel. I felt disappointed.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

I haven't seen new episodes in awhile, though I did enjoy watching it very much when I was younger. Sometimes I watch it when there's nothing on... in those once-every-two-month times when I actually watch TV. I don't really like doing so; I prefer the computer.

I did notice a change after the movie, though, that I was not too fond of.

Manjemon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm

I completely agree with what you are saying Greysun369, you've managed to depict my entire view on the current Spongebob episodes. Nowadays, they're just plain stupid. What became of the nautical sponge who reigned many of our childhoods? I'm becoming nostalgic just thinking about the days I'd become so excited over a Spongebob episode regardless of how many times I've watched it, whenever I had the opportunity to watch it I would because it was the main thing that brought joy into my life. But now, I've left the show behind because I couldn't take the stupid crap the writers were forcing Spongebob to do. A childhood hero turned into a distinguishable fool, quite a shame. Though, I'm glad we still have the old episodes whenever I stumble upon an oldie I watch it, laughing my ass off at the adult like jokes that I never noticed when I was a child.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 11:04 am

I already made a thread about this called Decline of Spongebob. It contains the Top 20 Worst Spongebob Episodes as well as the Top 20 worst episodes picked by the fans and a FULL review of Atlantis SquarePantis. The original videos have been sent to private but I got the re-uploaded versions on Page 3. Since I'm a nice guy, I'll bring the videos here too.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Spongebob SquarePants!
Who hasn't been funny since 2003?
Spongebob SquarePants!
Note: MoBrosStudios no longer does rants nor reviews anymore. Instead he's gone back to doing what he loves, YouTube Poops. There will be NO Top 10 Best nor a review of the new Christmas special. That is all.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwopqnDgRVI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P535HCirTW4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyBRMZTbtQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z74bfv2UmMk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kjQl9FDko[/youtube]

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

i loved the older episodes, but now i cant stand his new voice; it is so obnoxious

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

Do I ever? In fact, "hate" is just the right word for it. It is childish, and it doesn't even make sense, so I don't really watch it. My brother, who is a year-and-a-half older than me, watch episodes sometimes which I don't get, and I'm confused as to how he and my niece can stand this show. Do us all a favor, Nickelodeon, and cancel Spongebob already and bring back Rocko's Modern Life to replace it. Yes, I'm aware of the suggestive jokes in that show, but it's a classic and more entertaining than Spongebob.