Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

winterishere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2011, 4:52 pm

I wish I was NT because for me, AS comes with depression and BPD.
Do you think if we were NT, we wouldn't get the other psychological conditions?

loftyD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2011, 5:46 pm

hm interesting. Getting Schizophrenia or Bipolar is obviously possible within an NT, being autistic just [imo] elevates the risk of us getting said conditions,.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been the reason for my nervous breakdowns and long history of suicidal depression and i have real problems embracing AS because of it. I seem to have a much . much lower level of stress tolerance than the average NT. I am also far more socially isolated than he or she is.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

I wonder if AS that is undiagnosed early can lead to other problems developing.

The pressure to conform, to go to university, get a good job, work your way up a career path, get married, have children. These are potentially difficult because they involve lots of social interaction, and can be high stress. I had anxiety from early childhood, which I tried to surpress, and fulfill the targets I was supposed to be aiming for as a middleish class woman. But it was always a struggle, and I had frequent periods off sick from work, relationships fell apart, I ate too much to try to comfort my feelings of failure. I had a huge breakdown a few years ago, from pushing myself too hard, and staying in a job that was killing me.

Now I am a total recluse, the opposite of what I should be, according to the norms of the world. I have a diagnosis of BPD, GAD, and others. Yes, I think if I had been diagnosed with AS when I was younger, then maybe I would have been kinder to myself, realised that I am different, and that it is fine to be different. Just find the place in the world where I feel most comfortable, instead of striving to be like everyone else.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:55 pm

No. I only really have comorbid and anxiety, and I think if I was diagnosed earlier, that would be different. I hate being socially awkward all the time, but I don't hate AS.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:33 pm

winterishere wrote:

Mental illness is not limited to those with an ASD.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:44 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
winterishere wrote:

Mental illness is not limited to those with an ASD.

I agree--I know far more NTs with mental health issues than ASD people with mental health issues. That is probably because I know more NTs, but the point is: they definitely aren't immune.

winterishere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 5:10 am

yes, I know that mental illness strikes everyone, that NTs are not immune.

But I do agree that ASDs can contribute to mental illness, especially as Henbane said. I understand very well what Henbane said.

It's weird, when people talk about meltdowns, they always state a cause, mostly a loss of control or routine.

But we also get overloads from just the sheer tidalwaveness and uncontrollableness of emotions.