Did God create Autism or is this just a part of evolution?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

Im confused on this issue. :oops:

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 7:33 pm

It's a mental disorder. God and evolution don't really have anything to do with it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 7:57 pm

Did God create hemmeroids?

ruveyn

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2011, 8:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Did God create hemmeroids?

ruveyn

8O now thats a silly question

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:08 pm

The bible has written that he told somebody personaly that he created deaf people and retardation alike, so I'd have to say yes. :) Mr. Mercy created spectrums.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

"And Elohim said, 'Let light come to be,' and light came to be ... the first day.
"And Elohim said, 'Let an expanse come to be in the midst of the waters ... the second day.
"And Elohim said, 'Let ... dry land appear ... grass, the plant that yields seed ... the tree' ... the third day.
"And Elohim made two great lights ... and the stars ... the fourth day.
"And Elohim said, '... shoals of living creatures ... birds ... great sea creatures' ... the fifth day.
"And Elohim said, '... livestock and creeping creatures and beasts of the earth ... man' ... the sixth day."
(Genesis 1)

Did God create autism?

Nope, it is not there anywhere.

Last edited by leejosepho on 20 Apr 2011, 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Did God create Autism or is this just a part of evolution?
Yes. 8)

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure God meant me to be autistic. We're talking omnipotent/omniscient here--somebody who can zap the universe and start the Big Bang. If he can do that, I'm pretty sure that he knew a few billion years in the future there was gonna be a thing called "autism" in the human gene pool.

Unfortunately we've got this whole "entropy" thing to deal with--everything's slowly losing order. So bad things happen. God gives us free will, and we hurt each other with it. The world has evil and chaos in it and we all have in our heads a picture of ourselves as we ought to be, an ideal self to which we can never measure up. We know what good is and yet we've never experienced true good. It's a frustrating situation to be in; but would you rather be a perfectly behaved robot with no will of your own?

I'm pretty sure I'll still be autistic in heaven. But there will be no fluorescent lights, no petty social squabbles, and no ban on hand-flapping or shiny-object-twirling.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

I'm an atheist, so I'm going to say no to the God question.

As with any biological anomaly, autism will persist as long as people who have it survive long enough to reproduce. Apparently that's possible, but it would be an oversimplification to say that autism is a part of evolution. I'd say autism is more of a pit stop; the human race might survive without it, but you'd wonder about the quality of the rest of the trip. We certainly would've never known an ipod if it wasn't for those nerds with "a dash of autism," as Hans Asperger called it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:37 pm

Delirium wrote:
It's a mental disorder. God and evolution don't really have anything to do with it.

It affects the mentality, but, it's a neurological disorder.
Does evolution have something to do with it? We all have genetic mutations, some are not expressed while some are, so, you could say everyone is part of evolution. We are on a constant evolutionary journey; our species, other species, the planet, the solar system and the universe are all on our own trips. Since it takes so long to reach our destinations, if it's even possible, we cannot know the ultimate outcome of these epic voyages. It would take thousands of years to find out if Asperger's is part of an evolutionary trend, one day dominating the gene pool with "NT" genes being recessive and rare in the population.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
one day dominating the gene pool with "NT" genes being recessive and rare in the population.

This is purely speculation, but I highly doubt that people on the spectrum will ever be in the majority. For one, the possible outcomes of two aspies having children are unpredictable. They may have a kid who can barely talk or they may have an aspie like themselves. To add to that, some aspies are asexual and don't have romantic crushes. I should know, I'm one of them. There are also aspies that can't stand the idea of sex for sensory reasons. Then of course there's the social hurdle of actually finding a mate. If you factor in all these reasons, I'd say two spectrumites having a kid that can also reproduce is much less likely than two NTs having a kid.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:57 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
one day dominating the gene pool with "NT" genes being recessive and rare in the population.

This is purely speculation, but I highly doubt that people on the spectrum will ever be in the majority. For one, the possible outcomes of two aspies having children are unpredictable. They may have a kid who can barely talk or they may have an aspie like themselves. To add to that, some aspies are asexual and don't have romantic crushes. I should know, I'm one of them. There are also aspies that can't stand the idea of sex for sensory reasons. Then of course there's the social hurdle of actually finding a mate. If you factor in all these reasons, I'd say two spectrumites having a kid that can also reproduce is much less likely than two NTs having a kid.

Who knows what could happen three thousands years from now? What if most the population is wiped out due to a runaway asteroid, leaving only a handful of people alive to reproduce and these people happen to have Aspie genes? They could repopulate the planet with Aspies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:00 pm

Did God create incontinence?

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2011, 9:00 pm

I don't believe one dimensional time is the limitation in the bigger picture it's just a disability we all have to see and live it this way therefore I don't believe in creation I think we have always existed and always will, I think that everything in the universe has an opposite equal and so adds up together to make nothing which is an omnipotent consciousness of everything yet is also nothing, the state we perceive it was in before the big bang. So I feel like my mind and everything else's is just a tiny fragment of the whole and each part is just as important, nothing is a mistake.

I know my logic is infinitely limited though so I only think this in the context of trusting my own logic which I do not however I have it so I may as well use it for fun anyway.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

Well, if we, as a species did suffer a population bottleneck 60,000 years ago and were reduce to 150,000 individuals - as science suggests - then autism and Asperger's must have somehow survived that event OR it is a much newer genetic mutation. And until they can positively pinpoint a genetic cause, we'll never know.

If it is a trait that did survive the bottleneck, obviously the mutation had some benefit.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:24 pm

Did God create accents?

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:42 pm

Dasaniman wrote:
Im confused on this issue. :oops:

God created autism as much as he created cancer. I'm not sure about the evolution part though, probably it may have something to do with it?