Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,620
Location: the black hole

20 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

i did and i already beat it.

and it was everything i hoped it would be and more, but i can't go back and play again because the ending hit me like a ten ton truck. i probably cried harder then when i watched crisis core's ending.

i don't want to spoil it but it will change everything you've even known about portal.

it isn't to much harder then the first but when the new mechanics get thrown in it get's a bit confusing.

it's a shame i can't play multiplayer though. if i got the console version i could if my bro was interested, but i probably couldn't even get past the tutorial if i did.

i have mine on the pc.

it seems though that valve is incapable of making a bad game.

granted i haven't played all valve games but still they are impressive. i have other pc games that crash every so often, but all my valve games give me almost no technical issues. i've only had half life 2 episode 1 crash once.

the graphics of portal 2 make portal look like a demo game.


_________________
"It's the song of destruction a requiem of the end" jr in xenosaga III


Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 579
Location: California

20 Apr 2011, 7:05 pm

I bought it on PS3 which gave me a psn-steam linked copy. Valve is known for many things that I cannot say. They are up there next to Blizzard and other decent companies.



Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,620
Location: the black hole

20 Apr 2011, 7:53 pm

Ravenitrius wrote:
I bought it on PS3 which gave me a psn-steam linked copy. Valve is known for many things that I cannot say. They are up there next to Blizzard and other decent companies.


yeah, they only have a few games but all of them are good.

and i think i've got a solution to the co-op issue i have 2 mice 2 emails, 3 computers, and a copy of portal for the pc. i think my lapto may be able to run it.


_________________
"It's the song of destruction a requiem of the end" jr in xenosaga III


Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,782
Location: Seattle, WA

21 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

I'll be waiting for a price drop. The first Portal, while enjoyable, is one of the most overrated games I've ever heard of. I couldn't imagine paying $60 for it and from what I've read about Portal II, it doesn't seem like a $60 game either.



Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 178

21 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

Yeah, I bought the PS3 version earlier today. Halfway through Chapter 2, so far.



Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,620
Location: the black hole

21 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

Bataar wrote:
I'll be waiting for a price drop. The first Portal, while enjoyable, is one of the most overrated games I've ever heard of. I couldn't imagine paying $60 for it and from what I've read about Portal II, it doesn't seem like a $60 game either.


overrated how?

portal was an experimental game that was packaged in the orange box as a safety net in case the idea didn't fly well.

and dispite only having two characters one of which is not seen, nor heard, or even given a name, how we know she is named chell is someone found her file in the game's compressed files. the other character is only heard and never seen till the very end, and you almost have no history to pull from to find out how chell got there or why she is still there. it's also a puzzle game with almost no action and is a bit disorianting at first.

basicly the game should have failed do to the design alone being unorthadox there are no other games even remotely similar.

it is unique and a miracle that it has gotten as far as it has.

but that may be me, i tend to get emotinaly involved in my games till i almost feel one with the character and feel what they feel.

i feel that the praise portal gets is well deserved.


_________________
"It's the song of destruction a requiem of the end" jr in xenosaga III


Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,782
Location: Seattle, WA

21 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

Jetfox wrote:
Bataar wrote:
I'll be waiting for a price drop. The first Portal, while enjoyable, is one of the most overrated games I've ever heard of. I couldn't imagine paying $60 for it and from what I've read about Portal II, it doesn't seem like a $60 game either.


overrated how?

portal was an experimental game that was packaged in the orange box as a safety net in case the idea didn't fly well.

and dispite only having two characters one of which is not seen, nor heard, or even given a name, how we know she is named chell is someone found her file in the game's compressed files. the other character is only heard and never seen till the very end, and you almost have no history to pull from to find out how chell got there or why she is still there. it's also a puzzle game with almost no action and is a bit disorianting at first.

basicly the game should have failed do to the design alone being unorthadox there are no other games even remotely similar.

it is unique and a miracle that it has gotten as far as it has.

but that may be me, i tend to get emotinaly involved in my games till i almost feel one with the character and feel what they feel.

i feel that the praise portal gets is well deserved.

To me, it's a "time killer" game. It's something I'd play for a few minutes if I had time to kill. It won numerous game of the year awards, I know people who say it's one of the best games ever made, etc. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't seem to even compare to games such as Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and others that came out in 2007.



Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,620
Location: the black hole

21 Apr 2011, 7:02 pm

Bataar wrote:
To me, it's a "time killer" game. It's something I'd play for a few minutes if I had time to kill. It won numerous game of the year awards, I know people who say it's one of the best games ever made, etc. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't seem to even compare to games such as Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and others that came out in 2007.


fair enough though i haven't played any of those games, and i despise bioware with a passion, i bought dragon age and it damaged my computer's video card, there came a point where i went from playing on medium graphics with some other things turned no to make it look nicer to playing on low graphics in a small window with all effects turned off just to get it to run. that is the most poorly made game i've ever seen.

i'm now scared of installing anything bioware related on my pc, i also had it on the ps3 and i turned it in to gamestop cause i felt it was damaging my ps3, i loved that game but it was a hazard that i couldn't keep.

but i see games as a type of art so i look at more then the story and the gameplay. but to each his own.

but to be honest when i first found out about half-life 2 and portal i shrugged them off, along with infamous, fallout 3, minecraft, kingdom hearts, and other largely popular games that i ended up liking a whole lot.


_________________
"It's the song of destruction a requiem of the end" jr in xenosaga III


SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2009
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,836
Location: a bubble called Cognitive Entropy

23 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

Jupp done, was a blast to play. Ending was beautiful.


_________________
I'm not here to enjoy life, I'm here to withstand it.
AAA
Crosseyed God
:::)


minervx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,155
Location: United States

23 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

i do. the game is great.



Indy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 950

23 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

Just started playing it yesterday. It's a great game, even with the motion sickness! :eew:



dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,721
Location: Washington, USA

23 Apr 2011, 2:52 pm

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
Jupp done, was a blast to play. Ending was beautiful.

Agreed, especially the scene with the operatic turrets, that was my favorite part. :lol: Especially once you know what it's singing. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone though. :P I think I like Want you Gone more than Still Alive, but I'm not sure.



Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Location: Nürburgring

25 Apr 2011, 6:45 pm

I want to play Portal2 in a REALLY bad way but........I can't justify the $60 price tag for what will ultimately be a 4 hour game? Or so I've heard. I was told its twice as long as Portal 1 and.............I beat Portal in 1hr 54 minutes. I'd only be getting it for the SP. Never was a fan of Co-Op.


_________________
No.


ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jun 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,136
Location: New Bern, North Carolina

26 Apr 2011, 8:43 pm

I didn't time myself, but i know it took me well over four hours.. And i'm pretty sure that it was more than twice the length of the first one. Three times at least. Toward the beginning, like when i replaced GLaDOS with Wheatley, i kept thinking "oh no, it's not over yet is it?!" because the last one was so short.. lol. But, no, it wasn't over. I though the game was definitely worth it, especially if you actually take your time with games, to look at things on the wall and such. I just started playing through it again last night, because my mom saw me play the first game and the end of this one, so she's gotten interested in the story and wants to see the rest of it. I haven't been able to play co-op though. I don't know any people to play it with, and mom doesn't want to actually play(she just wants to watch). One guy i know said maybe he could come over sometime and play, but i only have one controller(no reason to have another when no one ever plays with me!).

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!



Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,219

27 Apr 2011, 2:25 pm

I'm too skeptical of VALVe games after what's happened to the left 4 dead series and TF2 to ever buy portal 2. Even if I wasn't, I'm not paying that much money for Portal.



emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

27 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

completed it.
it was fun.