Page 1 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

QueenoftheOwls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2011, 1:42 pm

Does anybody out there have a Sense of Humor? I've often read that Aspies have no sense of humor. Well, I must have inherited one from my NT Dad. Of course, I've been known to go into gales of laughter over something that no one else thought was funny. I often mis what other people consider a joke. But I do have a sense of humor and, thankfully so, for its helped me survive a life on the autism spectrum. The saying goes that Life is a Comedy to those who Think, and a Tragedy to those who Feel.Since aspies are very cerebral, you would think we would all laugh a lot. But I can never remember my aspie brother laughing at all.Just me.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm

I'm never funny.

Sheldon96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

I've found, from only personal experience with myself and other aspies I know, that people with AS DO have a sense of humour. Just a dry sense of humour. I use a lot of pessimistic sarcasm, even though I can't identify when someone else is using it.

Aspies do find things funny, just different things and in a different way.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:57 pm

More and more im starting to see the humor in things. I see the irony where others would get angry. Like when things get really bad and then it gets even worse i tend to smile. Or when i really mess myself up by spilling a drink all over the place i tend to laugh about it. One other example was when i got rejected by someone i was in love with, I just literally lolled because my insane fantasies where shattered in that moment. It was just funny how delusional i had become due to love. Even though rejection sucks it didnt get to me at all. And i can say i was in it really deep.

other then that i can go on a long time with something i find funny and im the only one laughing.

Last edited by TB on 21 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:58 pm

Yeah that's what the textbooks say, along with not understanding idioms and metaphors. This may be more true for the child aspies, but if you take a gander around WP--where everyone here are teenagers and adults--there are plenty of witty aspies playing around with words and using sarcasm. If you look in the adult section, there's sexual innuendo everywhere.

My sense of sarcasm was delayed, as was my ability to play around with words. I picked up both these skills in my Freshman English class. I was in accelerated English, yet I didn't even know the definition of sarcasm or how to identify word play in literature until I was formally taught. I also tend to think of idioms as extended analogies. Then they make perfect sense.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

I have an unusual sense of humor alot of NT's seem to appreciate, it's sort of deadpan/ironic derived from my unique way of looking at things and the absurd things people do and say that no one notices.

I don't think humor isn't there in ASD's just that it's often unusual.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm

Well I am not officially diagnosed as an Aspie but I do suspect I may have an ASD...

All the same, I will answer the question and say:

I do indeed have a sense of humour! Whether others find me funny is another matter but my brain often amuses itself (finds itself funny). Of course I would not recommend tittering over your own private thoughts when sitting alone on the bus. People will think this is rather strange.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:04 pm

bumble wrote:
Well I am not officially diagnosed as an Aspie but I do suspect I may have an ASD...

All the same, I will answer the question and say:

I do indeed have a sense of humour! Whether others find me funny is another matter but my brain often amuses itself (finds itself funny). Of course I would not recommend tittering over your own private thoughts when sitting alone on the bus. People will think this is rather strange.

This is so great, i would say go with it. Screw what people think, they would probably see you in a more positive manner if you where smiling also. I do this at random times just smiling from ear to ear or unable to stop laughing because you're thinking of something.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

Thanks for reminding me to check xkcd. It screams aspie humor more than anything else I've read on the internet.

Here's a few of them:

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:30 pm

I have a sense of humour. It used to be the case where it either wasn't funny to others or they didn't want to know anyway, but either my recent group of friends of late are more like myself, or I've somehow made myself more humorous. I think it's a mix of the two.

That's just me, but I think most people in general do have some sense of humour, no matter what type of humour it is, or whether anyone likes or understands it.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Sheldon96 wrote:
AS DO have a sense of humour. Just a dry sense of humour.

Ya think?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:41 pm

Phonic wrote:
I have an unusual sense of humor alot of NT's seem to appreciate, it's sort of deadpan/ironic derived from my unique way of looking at things and the absurd things people do and say that no one notices.

I don't think humor isn't there in ASD's just that it's often unusual.

I have the deadpan humor. I can be sarcastic, but I lack the expression of cues that tell other people I'm being sarcastic. Some things I say seem funny to me because they're absurd, but other people get uncomfortable or they think I'm insane.

Recently I made a joke about how someday whole body transplants may become feasible. The idea is that your head could be transplanted onto a new body, but you'd also like to keep your old arms and all of the nerves in the neck and upper back connecting the arms and head so at least you can still use your arms even if the rest of the body remains paralyzed. The punchline is that you'll be "standing head and shoulders above the rest".

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:47 pm

My sense of humor is non-traditional. I have NO ability to tell a joke or funny real-life story. But when I'm in my comfort zone (say, around my family), I can be extremely funny. I have a tendency to break into characters without warning (think Dana Carvey in Master of Disguise) and have a liquid, stream of consciousness type of sense of humor. This doesn't come out at all at work or in public, where my humor ranges from very dry to sarcastic.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:57 pm

Dry, scathingly sarcastic, and often dark. I've been working on more approachably goofy humor for the past 10 years. Much more difficult than the standard issue observational humor.

...and there's nothing wrong with that... (thanks Jerry!)

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

i do have a sence of humour, and also one that is apriciated by my NT peers; mainly becouse i tend to take words literally.
i did learn to not act on this, taking alternate meanings into consideration, but this evolved into the ability to see all meanings of a word at once.
this skill has made me a pretty proficient pun-creater :P

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 4:25 pm

A lot of people might think it's strange that even though I have "dark" interests I don't like a lot of common "dark humor" (for example, I don't think there was anything funny at all about the South Park episode that was completely based on a kid dying of cancer. I just find that sort of humor depressing and basically lazy), yet I love the type of "dark humor" that is so over the top it's ridiculously impossible (like Evil Dead and Troma movies). Otherwise I mostly like humor that is very random and creatively absurd, like Monty Python, The State, The Young Ones, and such.