Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 2:47 am

TheModestBighead wrote:
LOL. I certainly wouldn't be going to the UK to do experiments on people's health or anything like that. I guess being from the fattest state in America has caused obesity to be a reference point.

It's just a way of getting an idea of both ends of the socio-economic spectrum, and certainly here there is more obesity in poorer states and places.

Generally, it's the towns and cities that are heavily dependent on welfare that tends to have the fattest people, although not always. A lot of that, though, is down to poor diet and so on. Glasgow has a reputation for appallingly unhealthy food (although that's only if you seek it out - the cuisine in Glasgow is actually very diverse, so I'm told).

Quote:
I wondered to what extent this might be true in the UK.

It depends what you mean by 'poorer'. In the UK there is a large welfare state system but the inhabitants of these 'poorer' areas spend all their money on alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, to the detriment of their own health (and often that of their children). So to say that they are 'poor' is a bit of a misnomer, really. They are poor socioeconomically, but a lot of that is because they're essentially feckless people who don't give a toss about anything, least of all any children they might have.

All parts of the UK and Ireland has these people, and probably further afield too. They're known under different names - chav/charver/pikey/spide/millie/ned etc - but they're the same people.

Many people's opinion is because the welfare state has allowed them to live that sort of lifestyle. There is a lot of bitterness in Britain against such people, particularly (as often happens) they attack or harass random, especially vulnerable members of the public.

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of general areas/regions for this one. Certainly not so local a level as "parts of" Burnley, or places that size. You don't want to go too far out of central places, for the exact same reason I wouldn't do so in the US.

Not in a political sense. But in a cultural sense, i.e. tolerance for different lifestyles, ethnicities, sexual orientations - as well as people thinking they are too sophisticated.

The sort of places that most of the rest of the country avoids, you mean? ;)

I don't know. Middle-class parts of Harrogate, Manchester, London (London's a big one for that sort of thing - the "metropolitan liberal" elite as decried by rural conservatives).

Britain, in general, isn't a very racist country. You'll get far-left bigots telling us that we're the most racist country on Earth but we're not. We're not particularly homophobic here and most people will happily live and let live. None of the overt homophobia on display in eastern European countries would be remotely tolerated here.

I can only imagine the response of the middle-class elites if a poster like this were to be used in Britain, for example:

Yes, we do have some problems with racism and ethnic 'diversity' (seen in northern former industrial towns like Burnley, Oldham and Dewsbury) but it's often the case that the ones who preach the loudest about tolerance - although a lot of it isn't against the people themselves but the extremist baggage some bring with them - tend not to be people who live in those areas. Yes, some people in the poorest areas do blame 'the Pakis' for not being able to have a job.

I suggest you visit Burnley, actually - it had race riots ten years ago, is the strongest area in the country for the BNP and can be quite depressing. The town centre isn't particularly attractive either, though they have a lovely hall and park on the outskirts of town and some very nice pubs.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:14 am

Oh yes, and Blackpool too. I forgot Blackpool. It's a famous seaside resort on Lancashire's Fylde Coast and not all that far from me at all.

Some people like it because of the brashness of the place. It has sun, sand, sea, 'kiss-me-quick' hats with maybe an ice cream or fish and chips. The recently redone promenade adds to the appeal, and there's quite a lot to do there if you're in town for the weekend. There's amusement arcades, the Sea Life Centre, pubs (almost none of which serve real ale), endless shops, bingo, Roy Chubby Brown (he's always on in Blackpool and always sells out - hell, his material hasn't changed in 30 years but people like it) and that sort of thing.

Some people hate it - they see the endless stag parties being paralytic (extremely drunk), puking up, pissing and sh*****g in the street, fighting each other and finding anyone with a pulse and having sex with them in the middle of the street (causing a headache for police every weekend), the mess that is the town centre, the definite 'hostile' atmosphere, the druggies and alcoholics (Blackpool has a lot of them!), the dodgy bars full of people in town for a night out, a kebab and a punch-up (the 'women' are frequently worse than the men!). Basically, a lot of the time it's where chavs and hen parties go for nights out or weekends away.

If you want a nice seaside resort, try the other towns up the Fylde Coast. They're much more genteel and, I would say, nicer.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:43 am

When I mentioned 'Chubby' Brown being in Blackpool a lot, I wasn't kidding!

TheModestBighead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2011, 7:28 pm

Thank you everyone for all the insightful replies. :D If I was to focus on one or two areas of the UK to travel to, I like the idea of spending my time in some relatively remote areas away from larger cities. This would likely put a focus on Scotland where those areas predominantly are. I think I would like to do a trip aiming for/ending up in the Shetland Islands and spend the main part of my time there. I would have to fly to Edinburgh probably - although you can fly to Shetland this would apparently cost three times as much according to flight planner sites! - this way I can also spend some time in places like Edinburgh, and Glasgow which seems to have been mentioned a lot in your replies.

I have been researching, on Google Street View, some of the relatively remote areas in England. For example I looked at an area of south western England which includes the towns of Barnstaple and Bideford. Geez Tequila, seeing the reactions and looks that people gave on the pics in that area I see what you mean about Brits not liking people poking around in their business and being suspicious. Is this normally the way it is in relatively remote, relatively small towns in the UK? Maybe I'm better sticking to larger centers, because I'd be uncomfortable with that level of suspicion or paranoia.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2011, 3:31 am

Towns like Barnstaple and Bideford are use to vistors, a lot of people from the UK visit these places. Think you must had got them on a bad day!

If you are visiting Scotland and the North of England. I would recommned go to Sunderland and South Shields. I was at college there for 4 years and it is a very interesting place. It is a former mining community and retains much of the culture but less or the hussle & bussle of its large neighbour Newcastle.

Do you like sport? If you can stand the noise (prehaps wear a pair of ear plugs), have you thought of going to a football (soccer) match? It is certainly a very British experience! I would recommned not going to a Premiership game (major league), try a championship team, the tickets are cheaper and its a much more 'real experience'.

I you do decide to go to a Soccer game, PM me and IO can help you further. Its one of my speacial interests.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:19 am

TheModestBighead wrote:
Thank you everyone for all the insightful replies. :D

No problem. :)

Quote:
If I was to focus on one or two areas of the UK to travel to, I like the idea of spending my time in some relatively remote areas away from larger cities.

Well, yes, people from the cities sometimes go to remote areas to recharge their batteries. The northern areas of Scotland are lovely, but isolated. Not many people up there and some beautiful scenery.

Quote:
This would likely put a focus on Scotland where those areas predominantly are.

And the Welsh valleys. These places have a reputation for lovely scenery but insularity though. Even in parts of North Wales I get the impression that English people are looked on with disdain by the Welsh as they can't speak "their" language. (North Wales is the most Welsh-speaking and nationalist part of Wales - people from South Wales are much more Anglicised.)

Quote:
I think I would like to do a trip aiming for/ending up in the Shetland Islands and spend the main part of my time there.

You want to spend the main part of your time in an extremely isolated set of islands that are nearer Norway than the rest of the UK?! The Shetland Islands has a very different culture to the rest of the UK - the inhabitants have a mix of Scandinavian and Scottish culture. The largest town, Lerwick, is the size of my own small town where I live here.

So if you like windswept vistas and solitude, go for it.

I want to visit the Shetland Islands at some point but to make it the main part of my trip? No way!

You can go to the Shetland Islands by ferry.

People often go to live in the Shetland Islands to get away from people, to find a very small community to bring up their children in. It's fine for that but otherwise there's very little to do.

The Shetland Islands is about as unrepresentative of most of the rest of the UK as you could imagine. For a representative sample of the UK, you'll be spending most of your time in England.

Also, the just the main island on the Shetland Islands is bigger in area than the whole of West Midlands ceremonial county. The whole of the Shetland Islands is nearly as big as South Yorkshire.

Also, it's worth noting that there are more council CCTV cameras in the Shetland Islands than that are in use by the whole of the San Francisco Police Department - no mean feat, considering how illiberal San Francisco is meant to be.

Quote:
I would have to fly to Edinburgh probably - although you can fly to Shetland this would apparently cost three times as much according to flight planner sites!

It probably means that you have to fly through another airport first. Try SkyScanner UK?

Like I said, a lot of people just use the ferry if they're in Northern Scotland anyway.

Glasgow Airport also serves the Shetlands.

Quote:
I have been researching, on Google Street View, some of the relatively remote areas in England.

Yes?

People in the UK generally dislike photography and fear it. Yet there is CCTV everywhere you look. Our country is festooned with CCTV cameras. Do they care about those? No.

I wouldn't go out and do photography on my own for a number of reasons - and, in fact, a lot of people who do photography on the street (not necessarily of people) don't recommend it either. For a person with an autism spectrum disorder, unless you have very good social skills, I'd avoid it altogether on your own. I can elaborate if you like, but otherwise no.

In places like London and other large tourist spots you'll be fine. Anywhere that isn't considered a classical tourist spot, you have to be prepared for strange looks and occasionally harassment and abuse. If it's a genteel seaside town, it's generally not too much of a problem although a lot of it's about the energy we send off.

Quote:
For example I looked at an area of south western England which includes the towns of Barnstaple and Bideford.

Yes? I've never been to those two places, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Quote:
Geez Tequila, seeing the reactions and looks that people gave on the pics in that area I see what you mean about Brits not liking people poking around in their business and being suspicious.

Well, it's a pretty conspicuous way of filming someone I guess.

A lot of the reaction towards it is because they feel powerless to do anything about it. A lot of it's to do with the somewhat autocratic and secretive way that the country is run. We never get to have a debate or a choice about anything here. We get to vote every five years and that's essentially it. Our democracy is deeply flawed.

Quote:
Is this normally the way it is in relatively remote, relatively small towns in the UK?

Yeah. Outsiders are usually treated with friendliness. Having said that, expect to see indifference, other times suspicion and - although rare - occasional outright hostility. It depends who you are and where you go. (Bear in mind that some of the places that will treat outsiders with hostility won't be particularly welcoming to those that live there either.)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:50 am

my two penneth, regarding barnstaple & bideford..
they're lovely. especially bideford for a nice, quiet(ish) town. barnstaple is obviously bigger but still in my experience very charming & there's a great tobacconist there, selling flavoured tobacco ;) the west country is well worth a visit in my opinion.
also i'll say rochester, has a beautiful castle & cathedral and a fair amount of history. also canterbury is near (ish). they're both a bit tourist-y but very nice all the same.. & pretty small, rochester at least.
avoid strood though lol there's nothing here :lol:

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2011, 8:12 am

From my experience in traveling with my American friend, you will be much more warmly received and, I am sorry to say, treated better if you say you are Canadian.

99.9% of British people do not know the differents bewteen the accents, do not worry there.

Unfortuanely, as others have said, Amercian's can be view with some suspicion. I don't know why to be honest, I think everyone should be judged for themseleves, not on what country, race, reglion etc they happen to be.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

Jacs wrote:
Do you like sport? If you can stand the noise (prehaps wear a pair of ear plugs), have you thought of going to a football (soccer) match? It is certainly a very British experience! I would recommned not going to a Premiership game (major league), try a championship team, the tickets are cheaper and its a much more 'real experience'.

You having a laugh!! Go and experience the Kop in the holy temple called Anfield in my home town. Do not worship at any other premier league grounds especially Goodison Park & Old Trafford.

Come and see Noddy's bezzie mate Big Ears (the European Cup) at Anfield as no other bugger has him in the UK :king: :hail:

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

cdfox7 wrote:
Jacs wrote:

You having a laugh!! Go and experience the Kop in the holy temple called Anfield in my home town. Do not worship at any other premier league grounds especially Goodison Park & Old Trafford.

Come and see Noddy's bezzie mate Big Ears (the European Cup) at Anfield as no other bugger has him in the UK :king: :hail:

I actually got taken on to the old standing Kop when I was very young as my gradfather was (he's dead now) a scouser born and bred. I sat on top of one of the old white chrush barriers and was both scared and excited in equal measure!

I didn't recommend a prem team coz 1. The tickets are so difficult to get hold of and 2. Are quite expensive

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:54 am

Jacs wrote:
From my experience in traveling with my American friend, you will be much more warmly received and, I am sorry to say, treated better if you say you are Canadian.

I think it's an anti-Iraq war thing and is most common from the left, who seem to dislike Americans.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:00 pm

Jacs wrote:
cdfox7 wrote:
Jacs wrote:

I actually got taken on to the old standing Kop when I was very young as my gradfather was (he's dead now) a scouser born and bred. I sat on top of one of the old white chrush barriers and was both scared and excited in equal measure!

I didn't recommend a prem team coz 1. The tickets are so difficult to get hold of and 2. Are quite expensive

Yes it is sad to say, I had to give my Kop season ticket years ago cos of mid week games getting in the way of my uni night classes. I been on the old Kop a few times tho I spend seening most games from a seat in the main stand, now I share a season ticket with my dad I only go to matches if he can't go which is once in a blue moon. Plus I hear John Henry is thinking of raising ticket prices, great :(

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

TheModestBighead wrote:
Thank you everyone for all the insightful replies. :D If I was to focus on one or two areas of the UK to travel to, I like the idea of spending my time in some relatively remote areas away from larger cities. This would likely put a focus on Scotland where those areas predominantly are. I think I would like to do a trip aiming for/ending up in the Shetland Islands and spend the main part of my time there. I would have to fly to Edinburgh probably - although you can fly to Shetland this would apparently cost three times as much according to flight planner sites! - this way I can also spend some time in places like Edinburgh, and Glasgow which seems to have been mentioned a lot in your replies.

I have been researching, on Google Street View, some of the relatively remote areas in England. For example I looked at an area of south western England which includes the towns of Barnstaple and Bideford. Geez Tequila, seeing the reactions and looks that people gave on the pics in that area I see what you mean about Brits not liking people poking around in their business and being suspicious. Is this normally the way it is in relatively remote, relatively small towns in the UK? Maybe I'm better sticking to larger centers, because I'd be uncomfortable with that level of suspicion or paranoia.

If you're looking to experience some relatively remote areas of Scotland,you might also consider a couple of resorts on the west coast,Oban or Fort William,which can be reached by train or bus in a few hours from Glasgow.They are in the Highlands amid some spectacular remote scenery,but they have the benefit of tourist facilities,albeit modest compared to Glasgow and Edinburgh which are by comparison cosmopolitan cities which attract tourists and business people from all over the world.
I've never been to the Shetlands myself and,while I can imagine it would be quite an experience,as Tequila suggested it actually has more of a Scandinavian heritage.Depending on people's point of view,it could either be a great place to escape to,or a little too isolated from
urban civilisation for peace of mind !

TheModestBighead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2012, 1:26 pm

Well I haven't been on a UK trip yet. If and when I do ever go on a trip there, I have identified that I would definitely like to focus on Scotland. Specifically Glasgow interests me where I would probably stay, and see that part of the country. Then I could also visit places such as Edinburgh, and since Oban and Fort William are not too far away as you suggested Pluto, those are also options. Scotland has enough remote areas that way, which is part of what I'm considering.

I've cooled on the Shetland Islands idea a bit, especially as I'm not as keen on Scandinavian heritage.

I'll keep you posted.