Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

psychohist wrote:
Quote:
Illegals fill jobs the labor pool is short on. They come because the work demand exists. The work demand exists because some jobs the rest of us don't value enough.

The work demand exists because tax and welfare rules make legal labor too expensive.

On that, we'll have to agree to disagree ;)

But I do understand where you are coming from ... the factor is there. Just how much it pulls v. the others ... I feel the others are stronger.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:44 am

Tequila wrote:
It depends. I consider myself a conservative, but of a very classical liberal kind. One can be both a liberal and a conservative at the same time.

In the U.S. this is called libertarian.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:50 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:
It depends. I consider myself a conservative, but of a very classical liberal kind. One can be both a liberal and a conservative at the same time.

ruveyn

holy crap. I just realized there are no classical conservatives left. 8O

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

They when the same way as the divine right of Kings.
Yes liberal conservatism is an oxymoron, however in England it is the political ideology of classical conservatism & free market economics.

So Tequila are you a liberal conservative or a conservative liberal?
The Tory's & the Lib Dem's can't make there mind up if there conservative, liberal, liberal conservative or conservative liberal!
As my guess is that your conservative liberal ex Tory whos pissed off with the EU lovers. I myself am a social liberal

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

No, you just seem to think the only good conservative is either a closet leftist or a dead one...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

No, you just seem to think the only good conservative is either a closet leftist or a dead one...

And when did jacobvirgil ever say such a thing; particularly that the only good conservative was a dead one?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

There you go guessing what other people think. That is a radio talk show ploy arguing both sides.
It is a lame retorical method when people can answer you and tell you what they think.
a classical conservative defends the rights of the aristocracy modern conservatives
seem to be populists and freemarketeers. So maybe all the real conservatives are dead.
the context of my statement was yes someone could say they are a liberal and a conservative.
but only if conservative has changed in meaning in a drastic way.
I think that is has.
maybe you could have your mom read what I say and explain it to you.
and oh yeah you are an NT troll or maybe . . .
a Fanboy holy cow your a fox news fanboy :lol: .

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:40 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

There you go guessing what other people think. That is a radio talk show ploy arguing both sides.
It is a lame retorical method when people can answer you and tell you what they think.
a classical conservative defends the rights of the aristocracy modern conservatives
seem to be populists and freemarketeers. So maybe all the real conservatives are dead.
the context of my statement was yes someone could say they are a liberal and a conservative.
I think that is has.

I'm making my statement based on who you were saying was an intelligent conservative in the Rush Limbaugh thread.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

I think that is has.

I'm making my statement based on who you were saying was an intelligent conservative in the Rush Limbaugh thread.

really have some one read it to you and then get back to me.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
...a classical conservative defends the rights of the aristocracy modern conservatives
seem to be populists and freemarketeers.

The ideology of conservatism is to preserve and support traditional institutions via maintenance.
Historical it was the aristocracy may be it still is with the neo-aristocracy per se.
When theres no aristocracy, conservatives have to look to other traditional institutions to protect.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 1:57 pm

To me, classical conservatism was small federal government. That went out the window when religious groups decided the Republican party was the better vehicle for anti-abortion legislation, which had to be dealt with on a broader level once the Surpreme Court weighed in. Federal legislation is not small federal government.

There are many older Republican women who still like to say that the Republican party would be perfect if only it would get out of their uteruses.

All well documented by political historians, I believe.

The Catholic Church was firmly Democrat because of the social justice issues until abortion became a hot issue. That was in the 70's. I remember the turn; I saw it happen.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

Great here we go again...

DW_a_mom wrote:
To me, classical conservatism was small federal government. That went out the window when religious groups decided the Republican party was the better vehicle for anti-abortion legislation, which had to be dealt with on a broader level once the Surpreme Court weighed in. Federal legislation is not small federal government.

If the child in the womb is a person, then we are dealing with murder everytime an abortion takes place (or attempted murder if it is botched).

DW_a_mom wrote:
There are many older Republican women who still like to say that the Republican party would be perfect if only it would get out of their uteruses.

Again though, it depends on whether or not you consider the child in the womb to be a person.

DW_a_mom wrote:

Something you should pay attention to is the fact that historians particularly the closer you get to the present, the more biased they tend to act. Political historians especially.

DW_a_mom wrote:
The Catholic Church was firmly Democrat because of the social justice issues until abortion became a hot issue. That was in the 70's. I remember the turn; I saw it happen.

That's one of the few areas I agree with the Catholic Church on, being pro-life.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:18 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:

If the child in the womb is a person, then we are dealing with murder everytime an abortion takes place (or attempted murder if it is botched).

DW_a_mom wrote:

Again though, it depends on whether or not you consider the child in the womb to be a person.

DW_a_mom wrote:

Something you should pay attention to is the fact that historians particularly the closer you get to the present, the more biased they tend to act. Political historians especially.

DW_a_mom wrote:

That's one of the few areas I agree with the Catholic Church on, being pro-life.

yep ina we just don't get it cuz we is dum thanks for shedding light on the subject

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:

I'm not going to debate abortion. I made a note of the effect the one issue has had on the political parties and their ideology. This was a major step for the Republican party, turning away from having little interest in legislating moral issues, to taking one on full bore. It was the first in a sea change approach to government. We don't need to debate the issue itself at all to acknowledge how it started to change the political parties.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:48 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

My wife is one, possibly the only one. Of course, she calls herself a "monarchist".

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:

Actually it goes back farther than that, to Richard Nixon's "southern strategy" in 1968. Basically he identified that the Kennedy/Johnson administration had left southern Democrats disenfranchised, and decided to pick up their votes through his stances on civil rights and international relations. That was the beginning of big government Republicans.

Recently, the Tea Party has done quite a good job at refocusing the Republicans on small government, at least on the economic side. The big Tea Party groups - Tea Party Patriots, Tea Party Express, and FreedomWorks - basically ignore social issues.

However, if the Republicans jettisoned their forms of social activism, they'd lose the religious right, and they couldn't afford to do that unless by some miracle upper middle class Democrats suddenly realized that their objections to government bailouts and subsidies were right in line with the Republican platform and started voting Republican. Until then, the best your friends can hope for is probably that the Republican party take a position that social legislation should be left up to the states.