Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

First
As I understand, it's appropriate to make eye contact with someone while you're talking to them or listening to them. My question is, how consistently should you do this? Do you look away at times? I've heard you're supposed to look at other parts of the face in a sort of cycle (I don't quite understand it), although trying this makes me feel weird.

Second
I get really insecure if I'm with someone new and neither of us has anything to say. My guess is this may vary by situation, but is this in general likely to make the other person feel awkward? Just bored? Is there anything I can do?

I'm sorry if my second question is vague, but any relevant thought it appreciated.

Thanks

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

I have no idea about the first question. I just kind of "wing it" depending on how I'm feeling. As for the second, I've bungled up small talk quite a bit, so I learned staying quiet isn't so bad. Conversation is also dependent on the other person. Sometimes, there's not much to say. In those times, I like to look focused or zone out as usual. The other person can say something, and sometimes they do.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 9:54 pm

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
First
As I understand, it's appropriate to make eye contact with someone while you're talking to them or listening to them. My question is, how consistently should you do this? Do you look away at times? I've heard you're supposed to look at other parts of the face in a sort of cycle (I don't quite understand it), although trying this makes me feel weird.

Second
I get really insecure if I'm with someone new and neither of us has anything to say. My guess is this may vary by situation, but is this in general likely to make the other person feel awkward? Just bored? Is there anything I can do?

I'm sorry if my second question is vague, but any relevant thought it appreciated.

Thanks

1)People don't get put off by eye contact, so its fine to make it whenever. People get put off by lack of facial expression, lack of small talk.

2) Be sure to practice small talk and hope its leads to something, still practicing this myself.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

Thanks guys.

So it's mostly learning as you go I guess.