I feel like peoples words bounce off my head..normal?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 3:04 am

Is this an aspergian trait? During a conversation, I never feel like I grasp what someone is saying to me. It's like the gist of it bounces off my head and never gets absorbed into my brain, where it can get processed. Then I end up saying something that sounds as if I'm not paying attention, like "oh really?" (I use that one a lot), or other short answers (e.g. "thats cool" "alright"). In actuality I'm trying as hard as I can to hear the person out and then respond. Also, this makes it hard to talk to people I work with because I never remember what they said to me last time we talked.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:32 am

Difficuties with audio processing is pretty common it seems. I have the same problem and it can be very embarrassing. Sometimes my thoughts are too loud so that it is an effort to auto-translate the sounds into the words they are supposed to be...sometimes, I mishear...or things people say to me come out sounding like gibberish...there are old auditory processing difficulty threads floating around...It took me a little while to retreive the terminology for it..CAPD Cental Auditory Processing Disorder.....fairly common among folk on the spectrum...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:35 am

furthermore..it is not a "hearing" thing..I am very sensitive to all kinds of noises and good at identifying sounds..It is the sounds of people talking specifically, also in context of music....hava a hard time picking up on lyrics...blah blah...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 6:06 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
in context of music....hava a hard time picking up on lyrics...blah blah...

you might visit www.kissthisguy.com for examples of commonly misconstrued lyrics- i wonder what percentage of the song lyric misconstruers are on the spectrum?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 Apr 2011, 6:28 am

eatingcereal wrote:
Is this an aspergian trait? During a conversation, I never feel like I grasp what someone is saying to me. It's like the gist of it bounces off my head and never gets absorbed into my brain, where it can get processed. Then I end up saying something that sounds as if I'm not paying attention, like "oh really?" (I use that one a lot), or other short answers (e.g. "thats cool" "alright"). In actuality I'm trying as hard as I can to hear the person out and then respond. Also, this makes it hard to talk to people I work with because I never remember what they said to me last time we talked.

Many times, I get that feeling too. It might be related to auditory memory or possibly some component of working memory, though I suppose autism might also have unique 'meaning processing' difficulties that delay and/or make difficult processing ideas, especially if the ideas are emotional or metaphoric in nature (Or the ideas have the possibility of being misinterpreted in a literal way).

There's also a "receptive language disorder" that might be worth investigating. It'd be interesting to explore the relationship between receptive difficulties and autism.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 6:36 am

Someone wrote a good post on that (if it's the same thing) a while back, but I can't remember the name of the thread. Basically, he (she?) said that when people first say something to him it doesn't sound like words; it's just meaningless noise. And then, just after he says "what?," his brain decodes it and it makes sense.

I usually get most of what people say, just after a delay (I also have a lot of those "uh huh" type responses, to buy time). When tired or overloaded though sometimes my brain freezes up, and I can't keep up. At that point the words go off into outer space, never to be seen again. I get the impression I'm on the milder end for that, though.

Oh, the official term for that is "central auditory processing disorder." There might be other names for it, too.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2011, 9:13 am

That's a common trait? Wow, I thought it was just one of the symptoms of my hearing loss, an inability to detect the frequency of sound that consonants are located in. It really must be mental though, because when watching a TV show, half of the dialogue is lost on me, even though I have no trouble processing the other half.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
in context of music....hava a hard time picking up on lyrics...blah blah...

you might visit www.kissthisguy.com for examples of commonly misconstrued lyrics- i wonder what percentage of the song lyric misconstruers are on the spectrum?

am familiar with book website is based upon..

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2011, 10:21 am

I only have trouble with understanding people occasionally; my roommate isn't so lucky. It happens often enough that she ends up automatically explaining the phenomenon whenever it happens, even with someone like me who understands and also sometimes struggles with not understanding. When it does happen to me, I usually just use my ADHD as an excuse and pretend I wasn't paying attention.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 10:25 am

eatingcereal wrote:

Do you have cognitive problems? Are you having trouble with the spoken word? The written word? Do you organize your thoughts logically? Are you having attention or focusing difficulties?

ruveyn

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 10:36 am

It's especially bad for me if the person talks really fast. I've been doing some work for someone who talks a mile a minute, and I have a lot of difficulty having conversations with him. He'll say something and it just sounds like, "Djf iurhlajhew fldls fasjdhf jkhred aflkjasd ljh llakwefj lasdfy oiud fower kljm ldijf." So I stand there silent looking like this :o for some time until I get what he said. Sometimes I don't reply fast enough, so he keeps going and it just gets worse. Often I have to ask him to repeat.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

Processing language is a common problem for people on the spectrum, yeah.

For me, it's not so much "bouncing off my head" as I just never absorb it. It's like forgetting they are talking. It could be an ADHD thing or a language thing or a processing thing--who knows?--but the best I can do is just ask them to repeat things, and try to have conversations only in quiet areas where I can hear them properly.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

Ellytoad wrote:
That's a common trait? Wow, I thought it was just one of the symptoms of my hearing loss, an inability to detect the frequency of sound that consonants are located in. It really must be mental though, because when watching a TV show, half of the dialogue is lost on me, even though I have no trouble processing the other half.

I was watching TV with my dad some years ago, and he had the closed captioning on (due to his hearing loss). I was surprised how much easier it was to follow the show, so I started using it myself. It's been surprising to see how much dialogue I actually miss (and missed without being aware of it).

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 7:23 pm

yup... *nods* ...alright.

Wait what did that guy just tell me to do? Oh crap oh crap... stay calm... hmm... I think it might have been something about burritos. No, that can't be right, what was it? I'll just pretend I forgot about it, next time I am totally not ever ignoring that guy again.

Oh sorry sir, I'll get right on that.

What did he ask me to do again? Geez I really need to stop doing this.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 8:03 pm

I have this to a certian extent...it's more attention based though. When my mind is focused on the conversation at hand and not wandering, I can respond with ease. The problem, though is that it wanders often and I have to keep redirecting myself...especially if they're talking about something I'm uninterested in.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2011, 8:07 pm

I have this problem to varying degrees. The longer I'm in a social situation the more likely it is that my ability to process that situation is going down the tubes. Also, certain kinds of verbal communication are harder for me than others (like instructions, or over the phone).