I had a weird experience today in school..

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 3:15 am

In my class, we were offered an extra credit opportunity. All we had to do was go and see a play in the auditorium and bring in the ticket stub. So I went to the play today, and noticed that my mind was racing profusely the whole time. I was so anxious that I couldn't even make out most of what the actors were saying. Also, as hard as I tried, I couldn't sit comfortably. My breathing was shallow, my mind was racing, and my neck felt extremely stiff. Every time I moved it left or right (for instance, when the actors went slightly off-stage) I felt like my neck just wanted to twitch. Also, my hearing seemed ultra-sensitive. Every time I heard a door open or a cough, or a sneeze, it would distract me from the play and my mind would start racing. I could barely follow the general plot because of all of these distractions.

This isn't the first time something like this happened. It always occurs when I'm around other people. For instance, when I'm with my friends watching a movie, the same things happen and I can't follow the plot at all. I just kind of fidget with my hands to hold in my restlessness while the movie plays out (even if I'm interested in it!).

Anyway I just couldn't settle down, focus, or relax for the life of me. The neck twitching is the worst. One time during the play I even tried to crack my neck to loosen myself up a bit, but then I could feel feel this tremor there. Strange, I know, and I don't have a clue if any of this is even related to aspergers :(

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:26 am

I don't think I've ever had this in a situation where I was comfortable, but I remember being quite uneasy when I went to a cineme that wasn't my usual one, it was unfamiliar and that made me anxious, perhaps it's because you've never been there before?

Also, what your saying sort of reminds me of ADHD, do you have that?

it might also be that you weren't getting enough sensory imput to keep you interested, if I'm not interested in something i tend to fidget with whatever is on hand, you can buy special toys that are meant for fidgeting to relax people like us.

eatingcereal

22 Apr 2011, 3:33 am

Phonic wrote:
I don't think I've ever had this in a situation where I was comfortable, but I remember being quite uneasy when I went to a cineme that wasn't my usual one, it was unfamiliar and that made me anxious, perhaps it's because you've never been there before?

Also, what your saying sort of reminds me of ADHD, do you have that?

it might also be that you weren't getting enough sensory imput to keep you interested, if I'm not interested in something i tend to fidget with whatever is on hand, you can buy special toys that are meant for fidgeting to relax people like us.

It is highly possible as my brother was diagnosed with it, but having no insurance makes it hard to find out.

eatingcereal

22 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm

Also, I should mention that I get just as anxious in situations that are familiar. For instance, every time I walk into a classroom, no matter how many times I've done it before, I feel like all eyes are on me. I tense up, get anxious, and can't focus on anything. My thoughts start to race. Of course I know that for the most part nobody is paying attention to me walk in, but I can't control my beating heart, my anxiousness, shallow breathing, etc. I don't get it.

Zolikan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 7:08 am

It sounds like anxiety. Except for the neck thing, I absolutely understand your description. Although my own main problems that comes with the anxiety (except breathing that you mentioned) is:
1: It feels like someone is taking a grip on the inside of my chest and squeezing it
2: The whole body feels like it is constantly stung by needles. A bit like when your arm or something has been asleep and wakes up
3: Body movement becomes hard and unprecise. I feel like I am just about to lose control over my body at any time. Especially the fingers are hard to use. Writing a text message on a cellphone is nearly impossible

Can you relate to any of these points?

mirela
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 8:50 am

I've had this kind of "experience", but there were my hands that "got stuck", not my neck. And it also happened many times and always in the subway, in the morning.

Zolikan wrote:
It sounds like anxiety.

My doctor said that in my case it was a panic attack (even if I don't really find the logic), but if it's so, Zolikan is right. I don't know what you should do about it, though, my doctor just gave me sleep pills and vitamins (after a tomography and an MRI that turned out to be normal).

Zolikan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 9:18 am

I don't know the difference between anxiety and panic attacks. My doctor and my psychiatrists from earlier always only used the term anxiety, although I relate to what's said under "panic attack" on Wikipedia. They may also be closely linked or occurr together for all I know.

mirela
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 10:48 am

Briefly, panic attacks are caused by anxiety:) It's like that anxious feeling explodes from time to time in a physical manner.