Am i the only one who thinks living with autism is Hell?

Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

I feel like im the only who is diagnosed who ISNT in love with this disorder/disability.

Hell is supposedly fire, but i feel autism is hell in a different kind of way.

Alot of the ppl here who love and support autism live very comfortably in their parents home and have everything paid for them, but in real life when your on your own, its waaayyyyyyyyy difffrent.

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2011, 1:40 pm

I live on my own, but finding out about my difference has made things a lot better. Up until now life had been a living hell, but now that I've got a little more understand things are starting to move forward. Of course, I will be going home and living with my parents for the next year or so, while I take some courses.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

Dasaniman wrote:
I feel like im the only who is diagnosed who ISNT in love with this disorder/disability.

Alot of the ppl here who love and support autism live very comfortably in their parents home and have everything paid for them, but in real life when your on your own, its waaayyyyyyyyy difffrent.

I live very comfortably in my parents' home, and have almost everything paid for me, and living with autism is -still- hellish.

The times when I have tried to live out on my own have ended very, very badly for me. Psych-ward bad.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

I find it hell for other reasons. Although I try to live a life. :(

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:19 pm

I haven't had parents to support me since I was 10, and I have never lived comfortably. I still had/have to work to support myself even if I've never lived alone. Life is certainly not a breeze (nor is finding work at all), but I still wouldn't call it hell. A lot of people are worse off even without autism.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I'm not in love with it. I can't see how it has benefited me in any way.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

Oh no, not at all. This Autism / Asperger's has driven me to the point of cutting myself and bashing my head against a brick wall to try and shake the demon out. I've also ran out of tears.

This was a while ago, and I feel slightly different now, due to my happy pills :). But yes, it really can be the absolute 9th circle of Hell a lot of the time. I'm still struggling greatly everyday, but just trying to find ways to live with it. And yes, from one of my previous posts, I am still proud having it, in some ways.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:56 pm

Well I think the PTSD might be a little bit more hellish.....and its frusterating I am still embarrassed that I ended up with that when I was not even in the room where everything went down.

Christian0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

No you're certaintly not. I think AS is like a curse it has made my life crap.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 7:20 pm

Maybe it will be different living on my own. I hope not, but you do have a point.

Still, I don't think AS is hell in any way. The grass is never greener on the other side. It is simply an illusion. Or more accurately, it might be greener, but not for the entire year.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 9:59 pm

I've just always believed that a positive attitude and a little perspective are helpful. We sometimes celebrate autism in order to have a positive attitude, and perhaps a bit more self esteem, even if we still resent some of the draw backs.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm

...Think of it this way... living without it can be hell, too. Plenty of people out there don't have autism and are positively miserable, just as much as you are.

**************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

Dasaniman wrote:

You're not alone man. I get haunted everyday by the way people have treated me over the years and how I was constantly blamed for things that really are beyond my control. I'm a joke to all of society. No one, not even in my own family, will take me seriously when I want to be. And having severe anxiety that normal people find absolutely laughable sucks. I would never wish this on anyone and I would not have children if I can stop this from being inheritable. It's already bad enough that the condition itself will never be taken seriously. Plus everybody is always judging me and calling me out for the littlest flaws especially my facial expression and my lack of talking. I'm just sick of this. All I want now is to either die or for people to effing leave me alone.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

Can be. Hate it when people who supposedly understand my diagnosis, even professionals, expect me to be able to do stuff the same way the average (neurotypical) person can. Not possible. I'm not being lazy, I'm not being bratty, I'm not being melodramatic, I'm not being difficult. I just feel everyday life at an intensity most people do not and it is exhausting and severely limiting. It is hellish when even the people paid to help you tell you you're not trying hard enough and you have to make a choice to get better. For God's sake! Being overwhelmed is not a choice! No more than being disgusted by a food you hate the taste of is a choice. How is this not understandable. Were it a choice I'd choose myself out of this ridiculous helpless state I'm in. All right, enough of my horrible-mood rant.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2011, 9:32 pm

Part of it may be perspective. I remember what life was like when I was younger, in grade school and high school. It wasn't easy. Back then, there wasn't a label, just this overwhelming feeling of being different and not having any assistance in coping. I don't think I would be able to live on my own, and thankfully, I have never ben forced to. If I did, maybe I would feel differently.

I haven't seen many organizations looking to cure people who already have aspergers, just people with severe autism, as well as those who haven't been born yet. I do not support that type of cure. There will never be a magic pill to make you neurotypical. Besides, those people have problems too.

honorsdaddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm

Dasaniman wrote:

No - you're not the only one.

It is a very special kind of hell, where even your closest friends and family eventually lose anything resembling consideration for you...

honorsdaddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

purchase wrote:
Can be. Hate it when people who supposedly understand my diagnosis, even professionals, expect me to be able to do stuff the same way the average (neurotypical) person can. Not possible. I'm not being lazy, I'm not being bratty, I'm not being melodramatic, I'm not being difficult. I just feel everyday life at an intensity most people do not and it is exhausting and severely limiting. It is hellish when even the people paid to help you tell you you're not trying hard enough and you have to make a choice to get better. For God's sake! Being overwhelmed is not a choice! No more than being disgusted by a food you hate the taste of is a choice. How is this not understandable. Were it a choice I'd choose myself out of this ridiculous helpless state I'm in. All right, enough of my horrible-mood rant.

Its cool - at least I know I'm not the only one who feels that way...