Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 7:14 pm

http://www.old-wizard.com/top-5-reasons-not-to-vote

I dismissed it as odd stuff meant for fun (the site is a nintendo fandumb site) but then, #2 came. Seriously, I don't think I'll ever vote again after reading reason #2.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 7:25 pm

Someone tell the Libyans!! topic

Somehow #2 is just not going to convince many in North Africa and the Middle East.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

22 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

#2 and #5 are contradictory

If there's no point in a liberal voting in a red state,
what's the point of a citizen NOT voting when a sizable majority of the country DOES?

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:04 pm

Just because everyone votes the same way doesn't mean there is not point in voting. In Canada, and I assume other countries too, the amount of funding a party receives is based on how many votes they get. So although I live in a very Conservative riding, it is still worthwhile to vote for a left-wing party if that's what I believe. Heck, it's even worthwhile to vote for the Green Party (which, in Canada, last time around had a whopping 6% of the national vote and no seats) if I want to, because it would put $1.50 towards the cost of the leader's train ride across Canada that she does each election.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 7:37 pm

If you don't vote, then you have no right to b***h about government and politicians.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

sufi wrote:
If you don't vote, then you have no right to b***h about government and politicians.

To the contrary, it's the people who do vote that have no right to complain, because the government and politicians are their fault.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

psychohist wrote:
sufi wrote:

To the contrary, it's the people who do vote that have no right to complain, because the government and politicians are their fault.

Unless they voted for the other guy.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:10 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
http://www.old-wizard.com/top-5-reasons-not-to-vote

I dismissed it as odd stuff meant for fun (the site is a nintendo fandumb site) but then, #2 came. Seriously, I don't think I'll ever vote again after reading reason #2.

If 90% of the population didn't vote power would tactily transiton completely to plutocrats and corporate technocrats or some well-organized set of extremists would have sway in elections.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:23 pm

sufi wrote:

Whether someone votes or not, complaining makes no difference anyway.

Vexcalibur wrote:
I don't think I'll ever vote again after reading reason #2.

Quote:
2. You make more of a political impact by not voting, than voting

Think about it ... this act would be seen as nothing other than an absolute lack of confidence by the US population ... that people no longer care about what happens in the beltway because they could take care of their own affairs ...

... or that people had finally realized voting really affected/effected nothing anyway.
Quote:
The beltway would then have to adapt to the population’s own wants and needs because of the new found independence of the people.

Whew. Someone is really being silly there in speculating about some kind of "new found independence of the people" prior to people no longer voting because there is, therefore, no continued need.
Quote:
The more people vote, the more people are simply taking part in something they think they believe in, although they consistently tell people they don’t believe in the government because it has failed them. The herd is unaware of their own confusion.

Nah. It just has nowhere else to place its already ill-placed faith.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:56 pm

Maybe it does not seem like it or in some elections feel like it but...Voting does count.

Case in point -- Michigan gov race Blanchard (encumbent - and good Governor) and Engler very scary opponent. Blanchard was up 12 points in the polls 3/4 on voting day. I guess a lot of people figured he would win and it was raining anyway so a lot of supporters did not vote.

The result was, Engler won and proceeded to put Mich in the hole.

And yea I bi*ched about it

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 7:16 pm

sufi wrote:
Maybe it does not seem like it or in some elections feel like it but...Voting does count.

Oops. I had not stopped to think about local and state elections. :oops:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 10:32 pm

Please, to anyone who would even consider to vote for Obama to reelect him: don't vote.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 1:37 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Please, to anyone who would even consider to vote for Obama to reelect him: don't vote.

how would you like it if you were told to not vote just because somebody didn't care for your kind?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 1:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

how would you like it if you were told to not vote just because somebody didn't care for your kind?

I'd ask them to explain what "kind" they mean as I start recording the conversation. However, voting for Obama doesn't require any particular "kind" unless clueless counts as a kind.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 1:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I'd ask them to explain what "kind" they mean as I start recording the conversation. However, voting for Obama doesn't require any particular "kind" unless clueless counts as a kind.

:roll: you know damned well what "kind" i mean when i refer to myself: democrats.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:13 am

[/quote]iamnotaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Rolling Eyes you know damned well what "kind" i mean when i refer to myself: democrats.[quote]

Me too, I will be voting for Obama