I'm deathly afraid I won't make it dorming at college

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daina
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

If you do end up living in the dorms, remember that the gym and library can be your best friends! Gyms have showers and the library has peace and quiet. Gyms are also quite peaceful if you get there early enough. I spent the first year of my college career in the library, lol. It was a lot easier to concentrate on studies or sleep if I needed it when I was in my obscure corner of the library away from distractions and people. Music is also good, headphones and an mp3 player, to drown out all the noises that you don't like.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:17 pm

Is it possible for you to request a single dorm room on medical grounds? I was able to do this at my college.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:34 pm

I suspect that I have AS and I survived the dorm situation, but it was annoying at best. Luckily my room mate was a very quiet and clean person so it wasn't too much trouble. She had her computer and I had mine and that made things better.

You could always try the dorms. Give yourself a week. If you don't think you'll be able to stand it, you could always make other plans.

But yeah, if possible, get a single room, live off campus in your own place, or find a room mate who is quiet.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

I have nothing comforting to say. Every day is like walking on broken glass. Try to get a single. That might help a little bit. I will have one next year. If you can without geting nutrient-deprived, buy as much of your own food as you can and stay out of the dining hall after the inital few weeks of trying to make friends. Spend as much time off campus as time and money allow.

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the advice and I will certainly look into a single dorm. Wow, I see AS and dorm life do not mix well. Everyone here is either a "survivor" or dorm life or do not recommend it.

I'm considering paying slightly more for the nicer, more cleanlier dorms at the college I'm looking into, that way I'm far more likely to have more space to myself. That is, if I can't get a private room.