Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:53 pm

People with AS are supposed to be very logical, however, I am like the least logical person you'd ever meet.

Is anyone else with AS like this?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:06 pm

What do you mean by illogical?

I have noticed other aspies being illogical too and so am I. Everyone is illogical. I often tell myself "If I was so logical, I would have thought of this." And sometimes my feelings get in the way and that happens with other ASDs too because they're also human.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:33 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
People with AS are supposed to be very logical,

Are supposed by whom? None of the (4? 5? 7? 40?) diagnostic criteria for AS has "very logical" as a symptom. Even the Empatizing/Systemizing theory of autism, if it implies that people with AS/ASD will be better at logical thinking than with empaty, does not imply that they will be good (at absolute levels) in logical thinking.

Also, we should have notion of what "logical" really means (because in "common language" many people use "logical" in the sense of "sensible", "clever", "with good ideas"); being "logical" means being good in deriving conclusions from the premises; has nothing to do with coming to "good" conclusions (example - "trees fly and my sister is a tree, then my sister fly" is a logical but stupid reasoning).

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

I fix broken machines, run a business, so I'm quite logical

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

I thought you didn't have AS.

Anyways, everyone is different. Such a cliche, but it's still true. :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 6:58 pm

I'm the least logical person on WP. I think with my heart and not my head. There's no use spamming a video, just because it's by my favourite group and I like the lyrics. Those days are over. However there is a line in that song that describes me quite well. Perhaps an avatar will show how I think compared to most people.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 12:10 am

I can be very illogical at times............especially when upset (and I get easily upset).....................

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2011, 1:08 am

Yeah, many Aspies seem to be more emotional than logical.

I guess the stereotype comes from the typical techies who do well academically, score high on tests measuring logical thinking and have the ability to separate emotion from reasoning. Also, autism is sometimes thought to be the extreme male brain, and males again are often erroneously thought to be less emotional than females.