Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2011, 1:36 pm

Hello. I am wondering if it is related to autism/asperger's, but I sometimes have a hard time eating when I'm being distracted by someone. I know it's not me because when I'm alone, I eat fine. I think my focus doesn't easily switch, and so I either eat my food or listen to the other person talking. I have nearly choked or have had food stuck in my mouth for a good while, or even just listening and not eating. It's disgusting and enraging having to eat and listen and try not to choke on my food, but I know this is not normal. I have suffered head trauma in the past and I'm pretty sure all the psychiatric medication they made me take messed me up neurologically somehow. I'm just wondering if it's related to autism/asperger's or what it could be. Any ideas or help?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

I have difficulty swallowing food, but that might be at least partly because I still have my tonsils. Swallowing is a little more difficult when other people are nearby, but I think that might be because my dad used to slap me and/or my brothers for "making too much noise" (as he saw things) while eating ... and yet he would slurp and slop with impunity.

Oh, and I also have a very strong "gag reflex" and I tell doctors I never want to ever have anything like a tube in my throat while I am awake. If I did, I think anxiety would make my head explode.