Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 5:14 pm

I saw a documentary about Google, and it covered many details about google. One of the details was about advertising. If you do a google search and click on a link that is an ad, (or a sponsered link) then the company whose ad it is is charged a fee. Now the fee is usually like 30 cents a click, so its not much unless a lot of people do it.
Now heres the evil part. I tiped "Autism Speaks" into google, and one of those sponsered links for the site came up. If enough people click on that link, then we can cost them a whole lot of money! Click on the link many times!

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 5:19 pm

Could you link this documentary please?

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
I dont know any link because I saw this documentary at school.

Chamomile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2011, 5:59 pm

That's how advertising works. About 30% of the money goes to the site owner (numbers might be off), and the rest goes to...Well, other people. I've never really investigated ads past their ability to give me money.

Regardless, every time we view one of those sponsored links, money goes to Autism Speaks for sponsoring them. The money comes from the sponsors themselves. If we want to cost Autism Speaks money, we'd have to find ads for them on other websites and click those.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:11 pm

Kimmy wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:
I dont know any link because I saw this documentary at school.

Any other info then? like a title or something?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
Any other info then? like a title or something?

The fact that Google charges advertisers for every click on one of their ads is pretty well established. Just google (without the quotes) "Google AdSense".

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

Chamomile wrote:
That's how advertising works. About 30% of the money goes to the site owner (numbers might be off), and the rest goes to...Well, other people. I've never really investigated ads past their ability to give me money.

Regardless, every time we view one of those sponsored links, money goes to Autism Speaks for sponsoring them. The money comes from the sponsors themselves. If we want to cost Autism Speaks money, we'd have to find ads for them on other websites and click those.

She's not talking about ads on Autism Speaks websites, she's talking about ads directly on the Google site for Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks are the advertiser.