Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gav126
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2011, 7:19 am

Every time I say something to my parents, they yell at me and tell me that I am being rude to them. Then my dad always looks at my mom and tells her how I should be grounded. Why do they always do this? The wierd part about this, is the fact that when my dad teases me and I get mad it doesn't matter, but when I try to tell them a joke, They tell me that I am being rude. Another thing they do is let my little brother bang on things (he is almost 7 years old), and it hurts my ears, but my parents yell at me when I ask him to stop. They keep telling him that he can keep doing it, and he smiles at me and does it over and over, but when I try to leave the room, My parents tell me that I'm about to get grounded. What should I do (I already tried to talk to them)?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 7:25 am

I don't know your exact age, but there's probably a child's line in your area that you can phone to get tips on how to deal with your situation. Also, is there a counselor at your school that you can talk to?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 7:34 am

I have benefited greatly from STFU. I recommend it to others who may need to do it

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2011, 7:42 am

[quote="gav126"] The wierd part about this, is the fact that when my dad teases me and I get mad it doesn't matter, but when I try to tell them a joke, They tell me that I am being rude. quote]

In my experience, all parents do this, no matter how old you are or whether or not you are an apise.

I think they still see their offspring (not matter how you are old) as a little kids and therefore think it's rude and 'answering back' if you talk to them on that level.

Like ConckneyRebel said, have you tried speaking to a counselor at School?

I know you have already tried talking to them but how about writing a letter and giving it to them? I often find this helps. You can think and refine what you want to say to say, explain how you feel etc, without the direct pressure of being in a converation.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

gav126 wrote:
Every time I say something to my parents, they yell at me and tell me that I am being rude to them. Then my dad always looks at my mom and tells her how I should be grounded. Why do they always do this? The wierd part about this, is the fact that when my dad teases me and I get mad it doesn't matter, but when I try to tell them a joke, They tell me that I am being rude. Another thing they do is let my little brother bang on things (he is almost 7 years old), and it hurts my ears, but my parents yell at me when I ask him to stop. They keep telling him that he can keep doing it, and he smiles at me and does it over and over, but when I try to leave the room, My parents tell me that I'm about to get grounded. What should I do (I already tried to talk to them)?

Welcome to the world of (possibly) having Asperger's :) Where everyone thinks you're rude and the NT world couldn't care less about your feelings.

I've learned to give up. Maybe that's not for everyone but that's what the NT world has taught me to do.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

I like Jacs idea about writing your parents a letter. You could be also be interrupting them or they may be busy when you're trying to talk to them.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:34 pm

a closed mouth gathers no feet

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2011, 7:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
a closed mouth gathers no feet

This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time,

Although if it were my brother that would not stop banging things, I would probably continually leave the room and accept being grounded without argument. They have no way to understand how painful something like that is, other than what you are willing to put up with to make it stop.