Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 2:25 pm

Devil's advocate is a way of challenging a position or perspective about a topic about which there is debate by arguing for something you do not necessarily agree with.

Who wants to play Devil's advocate?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 2:31 pm

I reckon this is PPR material.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 9:00 am

I will rarely play Devil's Advocate in that sense [though I have done so at thesis defenses, where the candidate needs to demonstrate the ability to support his view however correct].

But I by nature look at all sides of an issue, constantly checking to see whichthe data most strongly support, and if you say the sky is blue I will bring out the fact there is in fact no blue pigment, it is all in how the atmosphere affects light of different wavelengths. If you tell me the sky and the bluebird are actualy NOT blue [even if I just got through saying that to Joe over there] I will argue that "blue" being a category of human language, is most appropriately evaluated as perception regardless of the object, that our eyes are in fact receiving blue light.

Both of which are corect positions supported by the data, which way I lean NOW depending on how I weight the factors, and either position or both may be swept away by one new datum received.

This is not quite the devil's advocate stance you describe, but of course it is precisely the task of the advocatus diaboli whose function is not so much to argue as to ensure that ALL the data in the case of proposed canonization are brought forward and discussed.

Note by the way the assumption in the title that the candidate OUGHT to be canonized.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:12 am

Joker wrote:
Devil's advocate is a way of challenging a position or perspective about a topic about which there is debate by arguing for something you do not necessarily agree with.

Who wants to play Devil's advocate?

I do.
I go first
bacon is not the worlds most delicious food.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 2:29 pm

See my sig. I play it all the time.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 3:52 pm

I hate playing Devils Advocate. If I thought there was a strong argument for the other point, I'd subscribe to it.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists