Comfort objects and stim objects for aspergers.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cypherthefox1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2011, 7:30 pm

Alot of the time, I find myself quite scared, nervous and stressed... I find sometimes that fidgeting with small objects (like a penny for example) calms me down. I also like holding my pillow. I feel a bit silly being 16 and still needing my pillow to calm myself down, but does anybody else here have comfort objects? And if you do, which ones do you reccomend?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

I tend to find myself relaxed while manipulating simple objects, such as pens (ex: rolling them back and forth on a hard surface, or feeling them in my hands.) I also have this sort of stimmy toy; used to have a pic of it, but now it's not on my computer. I'll take another one later.

Cypherthefox1 wrote:
And if you do, which ones do you reccomend?

Everyone's different; recommending things might not be incredibly productive.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

I have a piece of silky material that I call my tickle. It was named as my tickle when I was very young although the piece of material is a slightly different one with the same feel to it now as the original tickle wore out years ago.

I like to rub it between my fingers.

Don't worry about being 16 and still needing your pillow. I still need my tickle and I am 35!

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2011, 9:14 pm

I used to suck my thumb until I was eight years old, and I'd hold my cotton pillowcase to my top lip while I did it. I'm now 38 and I still miss the combined sensation lol :( I'd go with whatever makes you feel at home, there's nothing appropriate outside of what makes you comfortable :)

Quadratura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm

I am 21 and I carry books with me everywhere I go, partially because the pages are slightly rough, partially because of the smell, partially because when I'm overstimulated recitation helps a lot. Those are the main things I use. It's a habit that developed when I was 3 or so, so I guess it's the most obvious thing to do.

A NVLD guy also gave me some "fuzzies," which are a kind of seed pod with a very softly hairy exterior. That helps too, especially when I'm being yelled at.

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2011, 10:53 pm

DogDaySunrise wrote:
I used to suck my thumb until I was eight years old, and I'd hold my cotton pillowcase to my top lip while I did it. I'm now 38 and I still miss the combined sensation lol :( I'd go with whatever makes you feel at home, there's nothing appropriate outside of what makes you comfortable :)

Um.....I'm STILL sucking my thumb and I'm in my 30s :oops: I can't go anywhere without my bag. It is full of stuff I need with me, particularly pieces of fabric I like and a small smooth stone or crystal I like to roll around in my hand, I'm big into textures.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm 26 and I have sensory stim toys............I fiddle with a string or these fuzzy "worms" that are made to wrap around a pencil (for the style of it I guess). I get the worms from the dollar store...............I also have a frog change purse that I like the feel of which I carry around with me........I play with this one during my lectures while listening to the prof.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 11:54 pm

Cypherthefox1 wrote:
Alot of the time, I find myself quite scared, nervous and stressed... I find sometimes that fidgeting with small objects (like a penny for example) calms me down. I also like holding my pillow. I feel a bit silly being 16 and still needing my pillow to calm myself down, but does anybody else here have comfort objects? And if you do, which ones do you reccomend?

It's not unusual for us to like figeting, I fidget all the time with whatever object is on hand, always fiddling and such, their are special toys meant for people like us that help us fidget and relax, my occupational therapist gives me one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:00 am

My Diskman is my comfort object, and I usually have a couple of CDs on me.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:03 am

Usually when I'm at school I either fidget with my pencil or one of those big erasers.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:33 am

When I was at school I used erasers, rulers, protractors, pens, pencils, caps of pens. I slowly span them around with both hands or ran my fingers around the inside or the outside of the protractor, for example. Mere hands/fingers can also be used for such 'activities'.

I don't know if its a common habit but I do this: touch or rub my lips with my fingers and smell them... Other body parts only when I'm at home. It's also a kind of simming.

Somehow I don't like fidgeting with legs or tapping with fingers bc I saw other people doing them and they irritate me. I do it but not frequently and not in public. I did some rocking at school with the chair and I do a little when I sit in the chair in front of the computer, all in all not too much. At home usually I sit in the chair with my legs pulled up in a curly position or I put my feet on the edge of the desk.

Listening to music is also a kind of stimming in a wider sense of the word.

Textures are not the kind of my stimming. Staring at patterns on the walls, ceiling, blackboard, floor can help with stimming though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:37 am

when i am stressed i rock back and forth, and side to side, in a ducking motion almost like "davening" - i also grasp/lock my hands together, and sometimes give myself body rubs.

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2011, 5:41 am

FaeryEthereal wrote:
DogDaySunrise wrote:

Um.....I'm STILL sucking my thumb and I'm in my 30s :oops: I can't go anywhere without my bag. It is full of stuff I need with me, particularly pieces of fabric I like and a small smooth stone or crystal I like to roll around in my hand, I'm big into textures.

I would still be doing it if my parents hadn't forcibly stopped me lol 8O As for textures, I can easily point out several of my favourite stones on the pebbledashed outside wall of my flat :wink:

Cypherthefox1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2011, 7:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
when i am stressed i rock back and forth, and side to side, in a ducking motion almost like "davening" - i also grasp/lock my hands together, and sometimes give myself body rubs.

^ I used to do this alot, now I still do but to a lesser degree ^

It does usually calm me down; usually the pillow helps me deal with depression, loneliness and those overwhelming days where TOO MUCH stuff has happened at once...

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2011, 8:32 am

bumble wrote:
I have a piece of silky material that I call my tickle. It was named as my tickle when I was very young although the piece of material is a slightly different one with the same feel to it now as the original tickle wore out years ago.

I like to rub it between my fingers.

Don't worry about being 16 and still needing your pillow. I still need my tickle and I am 35!

Same here, only mines called 'blankie' (named when I was a very small child).

Like bumble said, really don't worry about having these 'comforts' at 16, I'm 33!

The way I look at it, a lot of NT's smoke and drink alcohool to help them deal with life, I stroke my blankie. I don't cause myself any health problems by doing it and it does not cost me any money.

Personally I think the blankie/tickle/pillow route the healtly and sensible way to go and if more NT's did the same they would be richer, healthier and happier!

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2011, 8:46 am

I'm currently having a very nervous phase where my mind is really hyperactive for some reason. I'm constantly flapping my fingers and fidgeting with things at school and can't sleep at night.

My question would be: Does the act of stimming actually calm me down? I sometimes feel like it makes me even more nervous.