Comfort objects and stim objects for aspergers.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2011, 10:34 am

When I get very stressed, I tend to rock pretty hard. And usually the only thing that really helps me is the situation being corrected. If that isn't possible, OH MY!! !...
I don't have anything I can keep with me that really helps to calm me down. might be good for me if that would work for me...

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2011, 10:38 am

I should have said "If that isn't possible, OH MY!...(MAJOR MELTDOWN!! !!)

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

my mp3 player and my Gaara plushie are my comfort objects, but a stim object ive been looking all over for is this interesting toy called a tangle-the only place i could find it was on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Creations- ... 576&sr=1-1 ive wanted one of these since i saw a cousin playing with one when i was little

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

26 Apr 2011, 11:14 am

My most calming stim is spinning around in circles, sometimes with headphones on, listening to music via mp3 player. Or I might rock back and forth, or fidget with one of those little blue laundry balls.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 1:22 pm

I have all these little "guys" that I take with me in my shoulder bag:

I like to pet the Calico Critters kitten, Miss Important, a lot...I've always loved toys with flocking on them. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2013, 1:40 pm

At 50 years old I usually have a walking stick with me, its a beautiful thing with a solid brass decorative handle. I often stroke its textures and twiddle it in my hands when I'm overstimulated. I tell people I need the walking stick for when my hips give out on me (which they often do) but the biggest reason is because it is my handy comforter :)

My all time favourite stim toy though is modelling clay! I love to squeeze and squash it, to roll it in my hands then mould it into shapes. I think its the reason I ended up being a professional sculptor for half my life! Unfortunately, its not really practical to be carrying a ball of clay in my pocket, so the walking stick is my go to stim when out and about :)

My son loves stones, every time he goes to the childminder, he pinches a stone from her garden, then rolls it in his hands while walking home. We keep joking that the childminder won't have a garden left by the time he's grown up :) I must admit that thinking about it, I love the feel of a good smooth stone too :)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:42 am

I'm in my mid 40's and I have a soft little animal change purse that comforts me. I also have some smooth glass bits that comfort me as well. I often rub my feet together when I am in bed and that is really soothing or if I am really stressed out while talking to someone I will often play with a hair elastic and flex and extend and curl my fingers with it. Sometimes, especially if I am laying down I rub my right shoulder with my left thumb or stroke my forehead or rub my eyebrows and always and only from the nose outwards in the direction that they grow. Those things are very calming. I have found that if I get a stressed in a conversation with someone and I don't have a hair elastic, I go for rubbing my eyebrows. But I love my stuffed animal purse and my glass bits, they are very binky like and if they were taken away I might have a tough time with that.

A lot of times I don't even have to be stressed to do these things. I do them sometimes when I am not stressed just because I love how they feel. I talk to my little animal purse too. It's really cute and I just like how it's face looks.

Last edited by skibum on 24 Jul 2013, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:50 am

Zexion wrote:
I'm currently having a very nervous phase where my mind is really hyperactive for some reason. I'm constantly flapping my fingers and fidgeting with things at school and can't sleep at night.

My question would be: Does the act of stimming actually calm me down? I sometimes feel like it makes me even more nervous.

Sometimes when I flex and extend my fingers I get more nervous too. But other things I do calm me. So I guess it can work both ways depending on how your body is responding to the stim. You can try different things to see if you find stuff that calms you. I like stroking my forehead and my eyebrows. I find those very calming.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:52 am

JadeEyes wrote:
my mp3 player and my Gaara plushie are my comfort objects, but a stim object ive been looking all over for is this interesting toy called a tangle-the only place i could find it was on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Creations- ... 576&sr=1-1 ive wanted one of these since i saw a cousin playing with one when i was little
I just clicked on your link and looked at that, It looks like fun.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2013, 6:56 am

skibum wrote:
I often rub my feet together when I am in bed and that is really soothing

Lol I do that too!

I also like to stuff my feet into the gap between the cushions at the back of the settee - I love the close, soft pressure it exerts on my feet, very relaxing ;)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.