Page 6 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

I usually walk fast and I talk fast. I'll slow my pace if I'm talking with someone to be more attentive toward them and the conversation. I think it's boring to walk more slowly if I'm not talking with anyone, and I think it's boring to talk more slowly. I talk more quickly and I want to run if I'm anxious, though.

RomanceAnonimo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

I have always been a fast walker as many here describe. And unfortunately one of my biggest aspie traits is the inability to communicate without exercising gruelling detail. Below is a synopsis of what I would want to contribute to this thread, otherwise it would be a book.

I recall seeing something about the buddist perspective on fast walking. The gist came down to circumstance of anxiety and a lack of present mindedness. I think this could be fundamentally true. "The man who walks fast does not enjoy the walking, and rather scurries about like a frightened mouse". I am pretty sure this is how it is seen by any outside observers.

I think one attribute that is profoundly prevalent in anxiety is forward thinking, where when anxious one tends to think about escaping the present moment by idealizing a future moment (i.e. right now sucks, so I am going to idealize some future moment that will be better to dampen how much right now sucks). The side effect of this forward thinking is not operating to improve the suckiness of the present moment, which leads to a circumstance that by the time we reach that future moment 'now' still sucks, so there then continues to be a fixation on some other future moment, ad infintum. Fast walking could be and likely is an affect of this subconsious thought process.

This is at odds of course of mine and others conception of the efficiency of fast walking. I do a lot of walking day to day, if I didn't walk fast I would lose MINUTES of my precious time! And its healthier to walk fast, more like exercise! How silly in retrospect.

I don't know if I could ever preferrentially get myself to walk slower. Something I heard that resonates with me is the fact that nature operates predominantly at a slow pace. Rapid pace is typically only existent in the presense of some stress or anxiety, the fight or flight reflex. It therefore becomes a practice in meditation to operate at a slow pace and be present minded in the action of now and do it well, even when walking, and not be fixated on or enchroached upon by the future moment. The purpose to to enjoy the present moment, rather than walking quickly to do something so that something can be over sooner. On the flip side it is possible that by artifically increasing pace, there is an unseen subconsious/physiological impact by becoming inharmonious with the natural pace of the world.

If we were picking berries it wouldn't be so hard, but as I work between two school campuses serving 100 staff, 1500 students, 500 computers and half a dozen servers its hard to draw a parallel to the natural, pleasant slow pace of Nature.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

I walk really fast. People have told me the way I walk looks "angry".

retropiaf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

I walk fast too. I can't walk slowly, it make me feel very akward, un natural and self conscious. It really stress me when I go shopping with my father for something I planned to buy. I walk quickly toward my aim and then I look back and see that he is far away, I have to wait or go back and just few minutes after that he is 4 meters back. Makes me very stressed like if energy is pilling up in my body.
Reasons why I walk fast might be:
- I have long legs
- I am impatient
- I tend to be late
- I don't see the point on losing time going from A to B if I am not taking pictures, looking at some shop windows or whatever
- It's my natural pace so to me other people are the one walking slowly

I generally hate losing time during task and I am always trying to multitask, as I am clumsy I often hurt myself, spill or drop things but I just hate to do things slowly. It's funny cause losing plenty of hours sleeping during the day doesn't really bother me. Probably be ause I just love my bed and sleeping is kind of a passion to me, but at night.

I am probably not aspi though, but I have anxiety, and all those things so it might be linked

hadrian_f
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Only shin splints slow me down.

comawhite
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Last edited by comawhite on 01 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

Dantac wrote:
Brain: get to Point B from Point A.
Legs: By your command!
Aspergers: and do it in the most efficient way possible!

Ears: and do it as silently as possible!
Eyes: and do it as smoothly as possible!

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2012, 3:16 am

retropiaf wrote:
I walk fast too. I can't walk slowly, it make me feel very akward, un natural and self conscious. It really stress me when I go shopping with my father for something I planned to buy. I walk quickly toward my aim and then I look back and see that he is far away, I have to wait or go back and just few minutes after that he is 4 meters back. Makes me very stressed like if energy is pilling up in my body.
Reasons why I walk fast might be:
- I have long legs
- I am impatient
- I tend to be late
- I don't see the point on losing time going from A to B if I am not taking pictures, looking at some shop windows or whatever
- It's my natural pace so to me other people are the one walking slowly

I generally hate losing time during task and I am always trying to multitask, as I am clumsy I often hurt myself, spill or drop things but I just hate to do things slowly. It's funny cause losing plenty of hours sleeping during the day doesn't really bother me. Probably be ause I just love my bed and sleeping is kind of a passion to me, but at night.

I am probably not aspi though, but I have anxiety, and all those things so it might be linked

I believe I'm an aspie but all the above mentioned are true of me too. If you would use a bike/train/car/etc in order to reach a destination quicker, why would you not try to get somewhere quicker via walking? Besides having long legs I have long spider monkey arms and at least when I walk quickly, I can swing them like pendulums. If I'm walking slow, I never quite know what to do with my arms. If I fold them, I look standoffish and if they hang down... I guess it looks odd or the "swing" is off. What a strange issue to have....

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

I walk slow, some of my friends who don't know I have Asperger's say I walk like a stereotypical emo (but I'm not an emo)
Kind of makes me wonder if the ORIGINAL emos were all Asperger's, before they started getting darker and more blood and gore-loving.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Darsalus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

I've always been a fast walker, but I think it's just because I've been on me feet a lot and don't drive. You just get used to being brisk. :)

Lynners
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2012, 12:29 am

I also walk fast. People are always telling me to slow down, and I usually say something like " if I walk as slow as you, I'll fall backwards."

But I've always been like this. I recently found a note from kindergarten about how I was always in a rush to get things done. I'm still like that today. I have to remind myself to slow down and concentrate (I drop things less this way, which is good).

Cio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2012, 12:03 am

Yes. Even when not going anywhere specific. I'm still going somewhere, why walk slower unless I don't want to go there? And even then, I should probably just walk the other way.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:08 am

I walk fast. I try to pace myself. I always just thought it was because I'm so tall.

fishsticks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

If i have somewhere to go then i walk fast. If no i walk slow.

quirkyandlaughing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2012, 10:11 pm

This is fascinating to me that this seems to be an Aspie trait. I walk SO fast. It drives me crazy when people walk slowly. It's because I hate wasting time.

I'm the worst at a grocery store. My husband and mother-in-law refuse to go with me because they say I plow through everyone & it embarrasses them. LOL.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:03 am

I'm a fast walker too, always have been. I think that in my case it has to do with wanting to do things as fast and effectively as possible. There are certain kinds of things that I don't want to spend more time on than necessary, and getting between places is one of them. I think this may also stem from the way I had to do things as a kid. I always walked to/from school and to/from music school or wherever else I needed to go. I often had limited time to get between places, so I needed to walk fast.

It's hard for me to slow down. I barely even know how to walk slowly. :lol: It feels somehow so unnatural and uncomfortable and I just get impatient and gradually speed up again.