Someone Please Tell Me That I'm Just Freaking Out!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2011, 10:16 am

In my world history class, we are talking about the era between WWI and WWII, so because of the Holocaust we have to discuss genocide. :? I dont like talking about people getting hurt, and genocide is on the bottom of the list of things I want to think about; but the discussion is really in-depth, so I have to listen to take notes.

The discussion covered the 8 stages of genocide, first you LABEL the other group, then you SEPERATE them, after that comes DEHUMANIZING them and then TAKING AWAY THEIR RIGHTS. It continues on like this untill the slaughter comes. Stage 8 is called DENIAL, because since the victim group was concidered to be less than human, the killers dont think that they did anything wrong.

Guys, Im drawing a paralell betweent the early stages of genocide and Autism Speaks, Im freaking out!

Merit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2011, 10:42 am

I don't understand. Can you explain why you are so upset about listening to the lecture, or is it just a feeling you can't explain. What is the parallel between genocide and autism speaks?

http://push-me-further.blogspot.com/

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 10:45 am

actually we're rather low on the list of scapegoats. as long as there are homosexuals & Muslims running loose, i wouldn't worry about being forced to wear a "penguin-patch" (or whatever)...

reasoning." --William Blake

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

26 Apr 2011, 10:47 am

You don't have to freak out about the agenda of Autism Speaks. I don't think people who are a part of Autism Speaks want to mass-kill those of us on the spectrum.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
You don't have to freak out about the agenda of Autism Speaks. I don't think people who are a part of Autism Speaks want to mass-kill those of us on the spectrum.

This. It's more like they want people on the spectrum to be "normalized" There's a difference between changing people's inner states of being and wanting them dead.

I am an anomaly. Diagnosed with borderline,"tentative" Aspergers at 7 as the school board required me to have a label in order to receive special education services. I did not fit criteria for ASD but that was the closest label that fit my behaviour at the time.

My longtime psychiatrist has confirmed that I do not qualify for an ASD diagnosis (but have traits & OCD-like traits).

Mostly keeping a distance from ASD-related things (including WP).

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

anneurysm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

This. It's more like they want people on the spectrum to be "normalized" There's a difference between changing people's inner states of being and wanting them dead.

While you're right, you're also wrong. I do very much doubt that most of the people at Autism Speaks want to exterminate us. Perhaps none of them do. But...

There are still eugenicists, even hardline ones, who have learned to hide their beliefs, since they are no longer as openly accepted. And it does not matter who does the work, once you have been labelled and dehumanised, it is easier for those who do want you dead to move in. And Autism Speaks does - even if it is not deliberate - do a very good job of setting up just the conditions those who'd like to see us dead would need.

So there is cause for concern. There is also the possibility, if the economy takes another bad turn, and there are more austerity measures - and enough people start talking about the "economic cost" of autism - that it could begin to seem reasonable even to people who do not now want us dead to get rid of us in order to trim their budgets. That is, in fact, one of the reasons some individuals went along with the Nazis, because money was very tight and the German economy was in ruins, and "defectives" of various sorts cost so much.

No matter what is in your mind when you pull the trigger, if you discharge a gun, and the bullet hits someone in the head, your motive isn't going to make a lot of difference to them. Likewise, whatever you think of the motives of Autism Speaks, the real reason to be concerned - and upset - by their propaganda is that it creates a cultural climate which is a lot more dangerous for us than it would otherwise be. Which is not to say Autism Speaks is the only group that does that, but they are one of the prominent ones.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Quadratura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 6:18 pm

I see the same parallels. We are only low on the priority list because "everyone knows" we cannot talk or express our own opinions.

Let's all keep fighting together.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:39 pm

There's no way that Autism Speaks is going to normalize me. Those people are so hung up on perfection.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645