Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pascalflower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2011, 11:08 am

50% of the commentary on Internet forums are people fighting over words, (yes, I did make up that statistics), but Have you invented any new WORDS, that to you, has a good meaning but you don't know of any actual words that exists for it. Perhaps a combinations of traits and characteristics, or a tricky way of classifying things, or just anything you think shouldn't have the name or word it currently has, and you've invented a better name or word for it.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

I kinda have made my own names for things that i only call in my head :3
like bob mostly because it's fun to say

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:13 am

I thought I made up the word burble, but it turns out it's a real word. Huh. But I use it to describe a particular sound that my cats make.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

I've made up a few words for fiction. None for actual use.

I do use other people's neologisms, though.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:27 am

Did it a lot when little. Made up a word based on name of my Native American tribe to describe the demographic of privileged upper-crust little girls (that didn't really exist anymore so much as they did in the 40s/50s/60s, but whatever). Mostly used it to make fun of Shirley Temple in the movies where her Black servant stood around teaching her how to tapdance and making her pampered carefree life even more pampered and carefree.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:43 am

I make up a lot of words. The one that immediately comes to mind is "meer" and it's multiple variations. Meer is the root word which translates roughly into "whine voice" or general whining. For example, if I make a dinner that one of my children does not like and they get to complaining about it, I might tell them to quit their meering because tomorrow I will be making a dinner that they like and another sibling will dislike and so goes life.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:45 am

Grape-le (not sure how to spell it) I always thought of purple as grapes.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

I used to do this a lot during my teens and especially with regard to my overbearing mom's behavior towards me. Two examples I can never forget are:

Coochie - I would tell my mom "don't be coochie" when she would mock me and talk baby talk to me in order to enhance here own self image. The word came from the condescending "coochie, coochie, coo" sound of her baby talk to me.

Fluffy - Again I would tell my mom "don't be fluffy". She was a university professor (music) who, as many academcs tend to be, was overly concerned with such inconsequential things as image, prestige and the like. This was the 1960s when the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies was running. The word came from the fluffy collars worn by Mrs. Drysdale, the bankers wife who was always so concerned with her high society image and what her high society social club members would think of her because of her Hillbilly neighbors.

My mom never had any idea what either of them meant (and somehow couldn't take the hint) until I told her I was an Aspie 6 months ago and explained to her that it was an Aspie trait to make up words like that in response to the need for words to describe something for which no existing words really served the purpose. There was another big made up word that I used all the time in relation to other people, but my mind is elsewhere right now and I can't think of it. I will add it later if the thought returns.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:50 pm

abjectificarily (a mash up of abject and objectively)- the contemptuous discarding of all efforts at rational discourse and while retaining the belief of continued objectivity.

Usage:

His abjectificarily pretentious screed illuminated nothing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 1:15 pm

I have made up words in the past and turned out they were already coined. Like "coupling" for example. I started saying that word and it just came to my head and I meant it as two couples sitting together and kissing and hugging. But mom told me it meant sex so it felt like she was taking my word I made up and changing it into something else. But she told me that word had already been coined and I cannot take a word that has already been invented and change the definition of it.

I also once made up "neighbor feeding" meaning you feed your food to your neighbors who are your friends.

I don't think making up words is an aspie trait.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2011, 1:30 pm

My girlfriend likes to make up words based on things I accidentally say when my mouth gets out of sync with my brain. :?

Unfortunately, too many examples involve words not friendly to this board's atmosphere, so I shall not post them here.

Fhoonism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2011, 1:35 pm

My whole life i've called the remote control for the tv a "Dibber"

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 2:37 pm

Yeah, I do that occasionally; non-words will pop into my speech.

Examples...

Catten: A grown cat with the personality of a kitten. "Cm'on, catten, stop batting at my pant legs and get your lunch."
Foodable: Something which is acceptably edible when one is hungry. "Meh, I don't really like ramen, but it's foodable."
Rainish: Wet weather, minus the rain; cloudy. "I thought I was going to need the umbrella, but it was just kind of rainish."
Mathy: Requiring a lot of calculations, as in accounting, database upkeep, or statistics. "I did lots of really mathy work at the lab last summer. They sent me six hours worth of mouse EKG data!"

I know how words are made, but often forget which words have been made.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 26 Apr 2011, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 2:39 pm

"Yoo-ee", for mentally referring to myself in first and second person at the same time.

The year is still young.

Densha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2011, 5:38 pm

All my life.

When I was a teenager, my friend and I created our own language. We had hundreds of pages of new words and definitions which we called 'the dictionary of my head'. I still use approx 20 words daily from it. :oops:

Quadratura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 5:59 pm

boroglio - an event planned which is still open to alteration with no hard feelings from anyone, but is the most likely outcome of all possible futures.

After my family had yet another fight about being flexible and the definition of "plan."