Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:39 pm

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/autism/story/2011/04/New-checklist-could-detect-autism-by-age-1/46590470/1?loc=interstitialskip

Quote:
New checklist could detect autism by age 1
By Liz Szabo, USA TODAYUpdated 9h 3m ago

An early screening test for autism, designed to detect signs of the condition in babies as young as 1 year old, could revolutionize the care of autistic children, experts say, by getting them diagnosed and treated years earlier than usual.

The 24-item checklist takes just five minutes to complete and can be filled out in a pediatrician's waiting room, when parents bring children for their routine 12-month checkup, says a study of more than 10,000 infants, published today in the Journal of Pediatrics.

Autism Speaks helped fund the research that led to what is considered a breakthrough in the diagnosis of Autism in children by age 1. The article goes on to say that it won't screen for Autism that is developed later in life.

This kind of research is helpful in the early intervention and treatment with Autistic children that have developmental issues, at a very young age. Intervention at this point can make a difference in the child skill levels at a later age.

Does anyone think this type of research is worthwhile?

While some of the research they help support is related to research that might lead to a prenatal test, they help fund a wide variety of other types of research that may result in better intervention for those with Autism that have developmental delays.

There are many organizations that support this research in tandem with Autism Speaks, if Autism Speaks were to cease to exist tommorrow the research would go on.

I don't agree with everything they do, but what they do seems to have a clear purpose, that in part is to help Autistic children fulfill their potential.

In objectively assessing the organizations value; it appears to have some, beyond what is considered negative.

From their site:

Quote:
In 2011, Autism Speaks research funding will be restricted to projects that address one of the following priorities:

Discovery and characterization of risk factors for autism, especially environmental risk factors and mechanisms for gene-environment interactions.

Development of methods for very early detection of ASD risk.

Understanding factors that influence quality of life for adults with autism, emphasizing effective supports, interventions, and treatments, functional outcomes, medical co-morbidities, and mortality.

Identification of the molecular pathophysiology of ASD that can inform translational research for drug discovery or development of diagnostic methods.

Development and evaluation of novel treatments that can address the core symptoms and associated medical conditions throughout the lifespan .

Dissemination of empirically-validated screening, diagnostic and treatment approaches to community settings

I don't plan on sending them any financial support, but I'm not sure the Autistic population, without the organization, would be better off as a whole.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:21 am

Do I support Autism Speaks?

In general yes. There are some things I'd like clarification of with concern to some that represent the organization.

Financially No. I have enough to eat, pay bills and give some money to the disability cause I do here.

For the most part I support most all autism organizations unless they prove to be unlawful or beyond a simple misunderstanding and at times simply for political reasons others misunderstand on purpose that they "hate" people for whom they seek to help.

Nathan Young

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 2:08 pm

No I do not support autism speaks they do not speak for me I do not wish to be cured I like myself the way I am their not going to change that