Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

Does anyone else think it'd be extremely fun to visually hallucinate for a day? I'd *love* to see demons for at least a day because that'd really surprising to see since I don't believe they exist! Maybe... just maybe... that'd make me a BELIEVER!

Or if I saw god. [sarcasm]Yep, that'd make me convert.[/sarcasm]

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2011, 6:57 pm

I don't want to be schizophrenic, but if I could have hallucinations without being delusional, count me in. :D

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:47 pm

I do have visual hallucinations from time to time. By that I mean every second day lol. It is normally speckles of light, shadows moving. If I am extremely tired or just woken up I can often see figures emerge in the shadows. It sometmes startles me but i am used to it.

Auditory hallucinations are what really freak me out :(

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 8:27 pm

I used to have intense trancelike experiences where I pretty much did see/feel/experience God/The Creator/Everythingness, so don't rule that out! And no I am not religious in the least but these were intense spiritual experiences that have given me the absolute conviction that there is a Something Greater that is pure good and beauty.

As for visual hallucinations, it just looked like the walls were breathing to me and that a picture hanger was a caterpillar wriggling around. I knew fora fact neither of these was happening and I was fully awake so it felt more like some kind of eye movement problem that my brain involuntarily translated as moving things.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

I want to be sleep deprived for a few days, or something. Seriously, seeing all this stuff and stuff would be the best day ever.
I remember not sleeping for 2 days, a few minor things happened. :lol:

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Apr 2011, 8:50 pm

purchase wrote:
I used to have intense trancelike experiences where I pretty much did see/feel/experience God/The Creator/Everythingness, so don't rule that out! And no I am not religious in the least but these were intense spiritual experiences that have given me the absolute conviction that there is a Something Greater that is pure good and beauty.

Really? Wow, me too! I once dreamt of the Great Easter Bunny of the East in its great splendor and it was SOOOOO intense that there is absolutely Something Greater and more magnificient in its pure, benevolent eggcellence. No one, I mean no one, can convince me otherwise. *starts religion* *damns non-believers to the hell presided by the Notorious Easter Bunny of the west*

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 1:13 am

ya that'd be awesome to see demons for a day...

get a life- it would be horrible, I hope this happens to you just so you can eat your words and cry about it.

sorry...i find this post offensive, seeing things/hearing things is not fun.

go trip out on some drugs if you want, atleast then you can say hey it will all be over eventually.

there is no such security with scizophrenia.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 1:23 am

liveandletdie wrote:
ya that'd be awesome to see demons for a day...

get a life- it would be horrible, I hope this happens to you just so you can eat your words and cry about it.

Well, just for a day. Knowing it would be permanent would suck a bit, I agree.

As you can tell by the slightly schizo desire for hallucinations, I'm ready to report I'm well on my way to fully developing schizophrenia, so your wish will come true. I plan on blowing my brains out at the local shooting range with a .50 cal Desert Eagle when it progresses to persistent visual hallucinations.

So far, I'm upto vagrant smelling distortions in my left nostril (of the hickory smoke flavor), and I'm experiencing rapidly vanishing black streaks and splotches in my visual field. It's only a matter of time before I start seeing demons.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 1:46 am

have you hade a brain scan? sounds more like a tumor =/

didn't mean to be a little mean but it's not fun when you've been there, and I thought you were just saying that not thinking you might be going there.

most times schizophrenia comes in episodes and then fades away but while it is happening feels as if it is how life really is and you lose touch with reality. Though it will pass you are not capable of thinking that or properly analizing what is happening.

Also notable is the fact that some medications can cause these symptoms, if you are on any medications you might want to switch to something else.

I'm no expert but I can't think of very many incidents where schizophrenia is enjoyable, but I'm sure it's possible for a very small percentage.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 2:19 am

I remember a guy telling (writing) a story about taking some weird drug (he was a pharmacologist working in a lab) that induced psychosis. He had a friend in the lab who knew about his 'experiment,' and at a certain point the friend took him aside and told him that for the past 3 hours he'd been talking to people who weren't there, and when he talked to people who were there, nothing that came out of his mouth made any sense. And also that he was also showing every other sign of psychosis, and so he ought to go do something about that (so he went in t back room and shot up some haldol, which stopped the it ).

Anyway, he (the guy who took the drug) said that the psychosis was completely transparent to him. At no point did he feel like anything strange was happening, or that the people he was talking to were hallucinations, or that he was not making sense. That sounds like it could be pretty bad -- being stuck like that, trying to function in the world.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 2:28 am

that reminds me of jekyl and hyde

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:36 am

Swbluto - I said I am NOT religious in the least! I do generally require proof of things but this wasits own proof, if you see what I'm saying - that I experienced something so completely overwhelmingly perfect meant that something so perfectg exists, even if it's programmed by the machinations of my own brain.

Thanks for your willingness to consider my experiences valid though! Jeeeeeez!

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

purchase wrote:
Swbluto - I said I am NOT religious in the least! I do generally require proof of things but this wasits own proof, if you see what I'm saying - that I experienced something so completely overwhelmingly perfect meant that something so perfectg exists, even if it's programmed by the machinations of my own brain.

Thanks for your willingness to consider my experiences valid though! Jeeeeeez!

But the machinations of a schizophrenics brain suggests there's hallucinations that are SOOOO REALLL that they "must exist" and these concepts are tangentially related to whatever they had previously observed or experienced (I mean, just recently, some schizo-* on the forum claimed that he was saving the world from destruction from the Large Hadron Collider, so if humanity came up with a death star, I'm sure someone would hallucinate about it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone already has!). What makes your inferences about your experiences any more valid than theirs? (I know you said you weren't religious -- I was just poking fun at how religions usually start. Muhammad, Jesus and Joseph Smith all pretty much started out with the same type of spiritual inspirations.)

I don't doubt that your experience really did 'happen', though. I suppose if some significant percentage of the population collectively hallucinates the essentially same thing (Since reality could be thought of as the collective hallucination of 99.9% of humanity and that's the main reason why it's a "valid hallucination"), then there might be something to it. Like maybe they're meant to be the soothsayers and prophets of the world and they're destined to enlighten the spiritually weak.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 10:11 am

Okay. The following will be hard to take seriously but I mean it seriously. I think that the person who believed he was saving the world from destruction by the Large Hadron Collider was doing so - in his mind literally but metaphorically in collectively determined reality. Things are always represented by other things. The curtain I'm looking at is represented by the electrochemical impulses that result in my brain when I touch and feel this thing that is different from the other things around it.

My point being: reality is a creation of the mind... who is to say the Large Hadron Collider is not also one and the same as "Evil" or "Harmful Thing That Ends Consciousness"... I feel like there's no way I'm going to be able to explain this well.

Okay. There's the Large Hadron Collider. To me it's a word that denotes an idea of something potentially mortally harmful. I don't know how it works really. So you could say the schizophrenic person is, by remaining alive and conscious, resisting mortal harm. Schizophrenics just seem to take something and either over or undergeneralize it one way or another so it's a symbol... I do mean something by this but I know I'm not making any sense.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

purchase wrote:
Okay. The following will be hard to take seriously but I mean it seriously. I think that the person who believed he was saving the world from destruction by the Large Hadron Collider was doing so - in his mind literally but metaphorically in collectively determined reality. Things are always represented by other things. The curtain I'm looking at is represented by the electrochemical impulses that result in my brain when I touch and feel this thing that is different from the other things around it.

My point being: reality is a creation of the mind... who is to say the Large Hadron Collider is not also one and the same as "Evil" or "Harmful Thing That Ends Consciousness"... I feel like there's no way I'm going to be able to explain this well.

Okay. There's the Large Hadron Collider. To me it's a word that denotes an idea of something potentially mortally harmful. I don't know how it works really. So you could say the schizophrenic person is, by remaining alive and conscious, resisting mortal harm. Schizophrenics just seem to take something and either over or undergeneralize it one way or another so it's a symbol... I do mean something by this but I know I'm not making any sense.

So, you're saying the Large Hadron Collider is a symbol representing the collective conscious's concept of "Evil", and that suggests that the concept of "Evil" itself "really" exists in some 'ultimately true form', existing beyond the neural impulses that is our mind? And this is analogous to the symbolic representation of a trancelike experience's representing something "Good", despite the schizphrenic's symbols being either 'less' or 'more' generalized than what's common?

That sounds probable. Human thinking is largely thematic, and it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority thought in terms of themes by taking certain experiences and associating it with some concept that's a part of some fundamental theme.

Tangent alert:
Now, this "Good" and "Evil" concept seems to be largely Western. I wonder if there are other themes in other cultures that are fundamentally different and if so, do the schizophrenics there represent their concepts differently? If not, are the concepts of "true" and "evil" really universal? And, IF it's universal, why? It would almost seem that the "Good" and "Evil" concepts are ultimately human/sufficiently-cognitively-advanced representations of the perception of pleasure and pain that exist in all mammals.

auroranights
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Apr 2011, 6:57 pm

A person's view of reality is subjective, so to say that the LHC represents evil is only in a number of minds, and even then, all interpreting the concept of evil in different fashions- if they even go to such an extreme. Personally I'm a huge fan of CERN and the LHC, so to me they're definitely not considered evil.. I don't like to think of walls, so I wouldn't use the term for anything really..