Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Grisha wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
incorrect, sir. a few side effects of being underweight:

anemia, hair loss, infertility, osteoporosis, malnutrition, impaired immune system, heart irregularities, memory loss, cancer, digestive diseases and hypothermia, fatigue.

That's not what I read.
Except for amenorrhea and female infertility, the rest of those symptoms are associated with malnutrition.

interestingly, there is a higher risk of mortality for underweight people than overweight or normal people (not the case for obese people though - morbid obesity leads to increased deaths too).

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/293/15/1861.short

also, from the International Journal of Epidemiology (link):

Quote:
Except at true statistical extremes, high body mass is a very weak predictor of mortality, and may even be protective in older populations. In particular, the claim that ‘overweight’ (BMI 25–29.9) increases mortality risk in any meaningful way is impossible to reconcile with numerous large-scale studies that have found no increase in relative risk among the so-called ‘overweight’, or have found a lower relative risk for premature mortality among this cohort than among persons of so-called ‘normal’ or ‘ideal’ [sic] weight. Among the obese, little or no increase in relative risk for premature mortality is observed until one
reaches BMIs in the upper 30s or higher. In other words, the vast majority of people labelled ‘overweight’ and ‘obese’ according to current definitions do not in fact face any meaningful increased risk for early death. Indeed the most recent comprehensive analysis of this question within the context of the US population found more premature deaths associated with a BMI of <25 than with a BMI above it. This was largely owing to the finding that lowest death rates fell within the BMI range of 25–29.9—some 86 000 fewer ‘excess’ deaths than was observed in the referent group, the so-called ‘normal weight’ BMI range of 18.5–24.9. Additional analyses that controlled for potential confounders such as length of follow-up, weight stability, weight loss caused by illness, or smoking status did not change the results. For this nationally representative cohort of US adults—National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys I, II, and III—the ‘ideal’ weight for longevity was
‘overweight’.

You're preaching to the choir.

If you go back and read my posts, you will see that I wrote that the best definition of a healthy weight is health, not BMI, and this varies considerably from person to person.

And I'm simply not going to participate in another "thin-bashing" discussion... :roll:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm

Grisha wrote:
And I'm simply not going to participate in another "thin-bashing" discussion... :roll:

Don't worry, we're not thin bashing.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

sunshower wrote:
Grisha wrote:

You're right, you're not :)

I just get a little sensitive because it is socially acceptable, even fashionable to openly criticize people for being thin, and it's not just me who's had it happen to them recently around here.

People come in different sizes, and people have no business criticizing others about it - either big or thin... [/rant]

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:24 pm

Grisha wrote:
People come in different sizes, and people have no business criticizing others about it - either big or thin... [/rant]

Agreed.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm

What really matters in the end is feeling healthy and how you feel about yourself.

I know I'm more of a chubby chaser when it comes to men but it doesn't make thin men unhealthy or unattractive.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 12:48 am

This seems like a false either/or statement. What about super sized and skinny? Like 7'0 tall and 160?

/BMI is a very loose approximation of health. More of a guideline than a factual equation.

//Don't bash the thin, they break easy.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2011, 1:30 am

hale_bopp wrote:
What really matters in the end is feeling healthy and how you feel about yourself.

I know I'm more of a chubby chaser when it comes to men but it doesn't make thin men unhealthy or unattractive.

Exactly though we all have what we're attracted to and not attracted too. I have a preference for shorter, more petite women. While another person maybe a chubby chaser. And this is true for everyone even if they don't admit it, they have to find the person physically attractive to date them.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 7:12 am

Grisha wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Grisha wrote:

I just get a little sensitive because it is socially acceptable, even fashionable to openly criticize people for being thin, and it's not just me who's had it happen to them recently around here.

no, i was just countering your assertion. i have no feelings about thinness at all.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2011, 1:53 am

Grisha wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Grisha wrote:

Yeah i notice the same thing. When I get my triple whopper and large fries at Burger King on occasion, people will give me an evil stare while i eat it and my friends (who are all mostly fat) will be like "how the **** do you eat that and look like you do?"

Also, this girl told me i was skinny when i told her my height and weight, so i felt like returning the favor by telling her she was fat (she had to be 5'3" and maybe 175 or so, big girl!) and then she got mad telling me i was an ***hole. My response was that i was simply telling her what her body was because she told me what mine was.

People these days, they seem like they can dish out insults but not take them....

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 2:53 am

trojan51 wrote:
Also, this girl told me i was skinny when i told her my height and weight, so i felt like returning the favor by telling her she was fat (she had to be 5'3" and maybe 175 or so, big girl!) and then she got mad telling me i was an ***hole. My response was that i was simply telling her what her body was because she told me what mine was.

People these days, they seem like they can dish out insults but not take them....

You are a complete idiot. Complete ignorant idiot.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 7:02 am

trojan51 wrote:

in another thread, you said you have never called a girl fat to her face. both statements cannot be true.

Beabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2011, 1:08 pm

Super skinny

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2011, 1:17 pm

trojan51 wrote:
Grisha wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Grisha wrote:

Yeah i notice the same thing. When I get my triple whopper and large fries at Burger King on occasion, people will give me an evil stare while i eat it and my friends (who are all mostly fat) will be like "how the **** do you eat that and look like you do?"

You never call a girl fat. I'll joke about it with friends, but never say anything to her face about being fat.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2011, 2:07 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
trojan51 wrote:

in another thread, you said you have never called a girl fat to her face. both statements cannot be true.

I meant as in I wont go up to a girl and insult her, but if she insults me, or if i take it as an insult it is rather fair if i insult her back. I really hate it when people think its ok to insult others but that its not ok when they get insulted back and then fly into a rage

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 2:49 pm

trojan51 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
trojan51 wrote:

I meant as in I wont go up to a girl and insult her, but if she insults me, or if i take it as an insult it is rather fair if i insult her back. I really hate it when people think its ok to insult others but that its not ok when they get insulted back and then fly into a rage

doesn't make it any less of a lie when you said you had never done that. you stated quite clearly that you would never say that to a girl's face, but you did.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2011, 12:09 am

Well i have a right to verbally defend myself as does anyone else.

The thing about most people is that they think its ok to insult others but not for others to insult them