Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2011, 6:53 pm

I would like to know what is you're learning style and what is not?
What are you're strengths and weaknesses.
For me my strengths are working on note taking and watching a video when I do work for some reason that is how I learn best I don't know why.
What my weaknesses are is that I am not a "Hands on" learning kind of person. I can't do anything that requires me to use my hands without me screwing up. But I would like to know what is or is not you're learning style?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:21 pm

I am very visual-if you show me I can do it-if I have to read it and turn it into actions-I get into trouble.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:19 pm

I'm an auditory learner. Almost everything that I've learned over the past 4 years, I've learned by listening to my fellow Toastmasters through their stories. I'm also a musical learner as well.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

I learn best by trying things myself, and seeing examples of something.

Last edited by dunbots on 27 Apr 2011, 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

Visual/Kinesthetic - I tend to have trouble with abstractions.

However I can learn some types of things from reading if interest motivates me to persevere against my limitations. I have had trouble in the past with focus as a result of abstractions leading to 'daydreaming' - a cascade of thoughts triggered by struggling with the abstraction, possibly I am a little ADD :oops:

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Apr 2011, 11:34 pm

I'll start with my weakness. I'm dyslexic, have ADHD, bad fine motor-skills due to Essential Tremors. I also have low-vision but my brain sometimes doesn't process visual stuff even when I do see it; it's like it doesn't register that I've seen it; I can look directly at something big & not notice it till someone points it out. It should be pretty obvious that I completely $#cked with note-taking, studying, diagrams, maps & discussion questions, I do NOT learn by reading or watching others. I'm an auditory learner. I learn by listening, verbal discussion & doing. I had lots & lots of problems with school

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2011, 1:27 am

I'm also visual/kinesthetic.

diagnosed add...still waiting to be officially tested for AS but self diagnosed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 1:39 am

dunbots wrote:
I learn best by trying things myself, and seeing examples of something.

Same here.

Ornithonerd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2011, 3:19 am

I need to see, touch, and or do in order to learn well. Notes are helpful as long as I can draw pictures in it. In a Chem class people may find me moving my hands in the air. For me this simulates touching the atoms I picture in my head, for some reason it helps me.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 5:01 pm

Don't know. I would say I am relatively poor at rote learning and often run into problems if someone is demonstrating something that is complicated enough where I have to take notes at the same time I am watching. I really seem to do well in seeing patterns in finding solutions in problem solving. I often can put myself within the problem and see what others miss.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm

Auditory, Written, Visual, Tactile? All of them, I guess, My short term memory opens for buisness the night before my exams (I memorised 160 pages of Biochemistry with ~90% fidelity once), so I'm not much of a rote learner.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Amaranth
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2011, 7:33 pm

If I've read something once, I can reliably remember its content and answer questions about it accurately, without trying. When trying, I can remember exact phrasings that I've read fairly accurately. My memory for things I've heard is probably almost as good, but I don't hear very well, whereas I'm pretty good at reading.

I am no good at all at learning by "inspiration," where the person trying to teach me something will provide some information and wait for me to figure it out on my own. I mostly see this kind of teaching in mathematics courses, which might explain why I think I do worse at math than I do; I feel like an idiot when they try to teach something, but once they bother to explain it, I can remember and use their explanation to succeed on the exams.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 8:59 pm

I have this learning style. It is sparatic though and i can't control it. Some things don't stick though like chemistry. :x

So I'm never in a rush

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2011, 9:32 pm

I need a lot of repetition to learn multistep tasks. I like to be shown how to do new things. For example, I have a lot of woodcarving books, but won't carve something until I get a lesson. Focus and work ethic are strengths.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

I'm very practical and have to figure things out for myself.

As a child I was a compulsive essay writer, putting key information into my own words and then re-writing to only include information I wasn't 100% sure about, and then re-writing again and again until I was only left with the key information I started with and full understanding. As an adult I try to be more practical - right now I write articles and go onto forums where I can answer questions on specific subjects, I end-up talking about things so often and in such a way that I soon find not only do I learn better but often know minute details by heart.

This is a strength, if I get a chance to be practical and figure things out for myself then I take things in really fast...but it's also a weakness in structured learning such as back at school when if you didn't take notes it was thought you weren't learning or paying attention, or when having to sit for an hour while the teacher explains something to other students and you've just got to wait for the practical work.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

I'm not a tactile learner & I don't have a good rote memory either. I don't remember things I've read the way they are written sometimes & I've been told lots of times that I don't remember auditory conversations accurately. I remember the gist of it but I don't remember the specific words that were said; maybe my dyslexia gets the words mixed up & the meanings changes some. I'm kinda step by step & remember things in order but I sometimes forget the important details & remember the unimportant ones. I'm not good at figuring things out on my own; I miss, overlook, don't think about, or forget the obvious & focus on the fine unimportant details instead; it might be related to my bad OCD/OCPD. I think my OCD/OCPD is an adaptation to my memory & learning style; I forget more without the order & routine. My thoughts & memory are very diagonalized & jumbled & seem kind of similar to schizophrenia or bipolar disorder instead of just ADHD

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition