Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 6:50 pm

tcorrielus wrote:
OK, does anyone know if there are any was to avoid such internal distractions????

Look everyone, this is a really IMPORTANT question guys!! !! ! Are there any ways to prevent such internal distractions???? When random thoughts, dreams, and things automatically pop in your head, they get glued in there. I try to block them all out but it doesn't work. This nearly prevents me from focusing on homework, conversations, and listening. They don't provide any tips on Google.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 6:58 pm

Meditation?

I dont recommend taking anything pharmaceuticals usually do more harm than good in the long run.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 7:26 pm

Hovis wrote:
Unless it's something I'm extremely interested in, I have a lot of trouble with concentration. Random thoughts/memories/ideas keep coming and going all the time. The worst thing is when I remember something funny when I'm sitting on a bus or walking along the street on my own and have to try and stop myself bursting out laughing (apparently at nothing). :oops:

Yep... it drives my parents nuts when I do that! I'd rather not supress myself in this regard, one usually explodes some time after.

I get this sort of problem at any time, but usually when I'm doing something that doesn't terribly interest me, like study or work.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 7:48 pm

Fraya wrote:
Meditation?

I dont recommend taking anything pharmaceuticals usually do more harm than good in the long run.

OK. I'll try it. Thanx for the tip.

Atomicat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2006, 8:33 am

Sounds familiar. Thing is, do you wanna turn them thoughts off or manage em? I always wake up with music in my head, usually related to something the night before, maybe not, and occasionally something completely unfamiliar that popped out. I'm not familiar at all with the attention deficit thing as well, I've got way too much of it and am the type of person who gets into 18 hour programming jags. I do know how hard it is to shut it off though and have been a serious insomniac all my life. Bad cures I used... alchohol was about the only thing that'd do it when I was younger. Now I use the exhaustion of well, right here, what I'm doing now. Good luck.

'tomix

marcus-As
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2006, 2:05 pm

THIS IS NOT A BAD THING!! !

I feel that it is a result from AS giving high access to the mind and body. If you have this high access and no instructions then you may mess up or scare yourself.

I have found a good set of subroutines that have helped me alot. The subroutines started off as a memory enhancment skills but I soon found that the skill worked right across my aspie mind.

The trick was that the methods taught were like the minds methods that it finds comfortable to work with, after the basic method is learned, and played with, the aspie mind starts to use it on a subconsious level to manage the whole network.

The method I used was from one of Tony Buzan's books, Master your memory, called SEMM3.
It took me about 3 days to have a solid 1000 slot memory, 2 weeks later I was up to 10,000 slots (pegs), this dedication to the task led me to understanding more about my mind than anything before and since.

BTW. The fact that i can think in 100,000 different directions at once at the mear suggestion of stimulation, makes me superhuman if I learn to harness it. And i am flexing this new found muscle more and more.

Marcus.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 2:21 pm

Fraya wrote:
Meditation?

How do you meditate?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 2:52 pm

superfantastic wrote:
Fraya wrote:
Meditation?

How do you meditate?

Well thats not an easy question to answer.. there are many different kinds of meditation techniques and types.

The most basic I suppose is simply sitting in a quiet, darkened room in a comfortable position and attempting to clear your mind of all thought. At first its often beneficial to have something to focus on (a lot of people swear by using lit candles) sitting in front of you.

As to how to actually clear your mind thats up to you and finding that answer is basically the point of the entire excersize.. its different for everyone.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:35 pm

For some reason I can easily concentrate on a task regardless with what's going on around me. I only sit back once the task is finished. That is if I can be bothered to do that certain task. My train of thought is clear when I'm concentrating on something. I don't really need to try anymore as it's gotten easier, as I've grown up to focus on one particular thing.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:40 pm

Yeah people with AS seem to tend to gravitate towards one extreme or the other.. they either have a form of ADD or tend to hyperfocus and tune out everything else.

I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other as Ive gotten older (perhaps I took my anti-add self-training a bit too far) so now when Im concentrating on something a 747 could crash into my living room and I wouldnt notice.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:43 pm

Thanks for the meditation tips.

There's one thing I don't understand: how are AS and ADD compatible? Oh, is the superfocus not necessary for an AS diagnosis? That makes more sense. I'm talking to myself now... :?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:51 pm

No its not a necessary criteria for AS diagnosis.. for that the presense of an obsession is more telling than actual attention span and again there are many other symptoms not all of which are necessary for a diagnosis.

A diagnosis after all is simply proof that a professional has been convinced that you have the condition not necessarily that you "pass the test" by displaying all the listed symptoms.

No two people are exactly alike after all.

Don't do anything at all
-----------